+ Reply to Thread

Default Started Minxodil a few days ago

Hey guys im 21 and my hair is looking to go in the norwood IV pattern, my hairline which has been hit the most. I started minoxidil a few days ago and immediatly my hair loss has slowed down dramatically to like 5-10 hairs a day from 20-30. I feel i will be able to grow back hair from the affected areas since those spots are not totally bald. Literally after the first application the hair loss hasdramatically slowed down, is this a good sign?can i expect a possible shed? I've also noticed that the minoxidil makes my hair feel thick

Id also like to add i am applying it once a night for one week before i start 2 times a day

Sounds good. Minox is a safe and hopefully effective step in combating hairloss.

How about finasteride? Thoughts, views on that?

well based on what I've researched its defintley an option for me, however I just wanted to start off with minoxidil to see how it would work, seems like its doing good so far, if minoxidil is not working effectively I may consider propecia

Quote Originally Posted by Antibald View Post
    is this a good sign?can i expect a possible shed?
    It is much to soon for you know if this medication is doing anything for you. It takes four to six months before you will know if the medicine is working for you. It takes 12 to 18 months before you will know how well the medicine is working for you.

Yes, you can expect a shed. Shedding is associated with both Minoxidil and Finasteride. You can reduce the shedding by tapering up to the normal twice a day dose slowly over time. One week of once a day then on to twice a day is not slow enough to matter. It is better to use it once a day every other day till that first bottle is empty. Then use it once a day every day until the next bottle is empty. Then finally use it twice a day as directed.

Quote Originally Posted by Antibald View Post
    I've also noticed that the minoxidil makes my hair feel thick
    It is very important to massage the medicine into your scalp. Some will get into your hair but do the best you can to gently massage as much of the medicine as possible into your scalp. It helps to apply the medicine while your hair is towel dry damp.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    It is much to soon for you know if this medication is doing anything for you. It takes four to six months before you will know if the medicine is working for you. It takes 12 to 18 months before you will know how well the medicine is working for you.

Yes, you can expect a shed. Shedding is associated with both Minoxidil and Finasteride. You can reduce the shedding by tapering up to the normal twice a day dose slowly over time. One week of once a day then on to twice a day is not slow enough to matter. It is better to use it once a day every other day till that first bottle is empty. Then use it once a day every day until the next bottle is empty. Then finally use it twice a day as directed.

It is very important to massage the medicine into your scalp. Some will get into your hair but do the best you can to gently massage as much of the medicine as possible into your scalp. It helps to apply the medicine while your hair is towel dry damp.
    As much as it pains me to consult you, how long do finasteride sheds typically last? I'm rounding out month 2 and, while I think there's less hair fall over all, I'm still shedding a decent amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Aames View Post
    As much as it pains me to consult you, how long do finasteride sheds typically last?
    I can't speak on Finasterdie with experience. However it makes sense that it would vary from person to person - just like Minoxidil and Spiro.

I didn't experience any shedding from either product, I would guess it depends on your own internal mechanisms.

aames, fin shed duration is probably pretty similar to minox...2-3 months.

I personally never experienced a noticeable shed with fin, but experienced shedding for about a month on minox.

am on month 9ish of fin and think its done a decent job maintaining...hoping for some thickening from rogaine, but too early to tell (3 mo.).

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    I can't speak on Finasterdie with experience. However it makes sense that it would vary from person to person - just like Minoxidil and Spiro.
    I suppose. Guess I'll just have to be patient. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmcoffee View Post
    aames, fin shed duration is probably pretty similar to minox...2-3 months.

I personally never experienced a noticeable shed with fin, but experienced shedding for about a month on minox.

am on month 9ish of fin and think its done a decent job maintaining...hoping for some thickening from rogaine, but too early to tell (3 mo.).
    Thanks. Hopefully will notice a decrease by the end of month 3.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Bro, fin sheds can last AGES. You're altering your hormonal profile, so these things don't happen overnight. Plus your body can attempt to upregulate and that further throws things out.

You could have multiple sheds, you could had no sheds. You could see results after a month, or maybe not until a year.

My advice to you would be just admit you're riding shotgun. Keep taking fin and wait until 18 months before ruling on it. Most have an idea before 12 months, but I've known people to have massive sheds post 12 months, and by 18 months come out with strong regrowth.
    Damn, thanks for your input. I know I'm being impatient but playing the waiting game is really annoying.