+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post

You are in your 20s . We have also been in our 20s. We know what you are going through.
    With all due respect, you have no clue what we are going through. You were in your 20s in the 1980s. So much has changed with media and male image standards that it makes little sense to compare yourself to those of us in our 20s now. If you're a bald young man in our era it borders unacceptable rather than simply unattractive. Just look at the number of famous leading male actors with significant hairloss in 2013 compared to 1987. Look at any commercial and see if there are bald young people. See how many men go tanning, wax or laser their body hair off, trim their eyebrows, etc. Men simply did not do that 25 years ago.

I agree with you that hairloss in any era sucks, but in your day you could go bald and be done with it. We're not so lucky.

You are supposed to have beautiful full hair in your "hay day". When you are young and vital. If I were going bald at 40+ (Hell, even 30+), I'd just shave the crap off and not even worry about it. If I were old and losing my hair I would say "who gives a ****?" But right now I'm the only guy I know my age who looks like an old man with my receding hairline. It's ****ing unfair! I used to have long, thick platinum blonde hair that made me look so good, but now I've got thin, brittle, wirey, discolored hair on top and it sucks. I look absolutely horrible! I don't give a **** if a HT causes my head to look ****ed up in the future (which it won't). I want my good looks to be NOW!

Yeah I agree it's more important when you're young. It's still very upsetting later, but at least in the 25-30 range (where I am) lots of friends are starting to show the signs too. It does make it a little easier. By 40 I think partial baldness/thinning is nearly the majority.

Just being realistic, AFAIK even with the best transplants you can't match a 21 year old with perfect hair. It seems unfair but what can you do... IMO it's wise to take time to adjust psychologically and then consider realistic options. Can always look into meds in the meantime.

And there are definitely some positive aspects of having bad hair, just none of them are related to looking good

Quote Originally Posted by custards View Post
    Yeah I agree it's more important when you're young. It's still very upsetting later, but at least in the 25-30 range (where I am) lots of friends are starting to show the signs too. It does make it a little easier. By 40 I think partial baldness/thinning is nearly the majority.

Just being realistic, AFAIK even with the best transplants you can't match a 21 year old with perfect hair. It seems unfair but what can you do... IMO it's wise to take time to adjust psychologically and then consider realistic options. Can always look into meds in the meantime.

And there are definitely some positive aspects of having bad hair, just none of them are related to looking good
    There are no positive aspects to having bad hair. What's the use in being alive and healthy when you can't enjoy your life due to baldness ruining it? Health means nothing if it's keeping you healthy and alive for no other reason but to exist in misery.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldnessfalls View Post
    Tracy, you mean well, and are well-informed, but this thing you are saying about the age thing is just wrong. I'm sorry, it just is. I don't want to wait until I'm in my ****ing 40s before I can start having the hair of a 20 something.
    No ethical hair transplant doctor is going to give a man in his 40's the hair of a man in his 20's - even if it were possible to do so.

It's not wrong. Having hair transplant surgery at a young age more often than not leads to deep regret because of the situation I described in my previous post. If you want to put yourself in that situation, it's your life. I feel you are making a big mistake that is going to haunt you for the rest of your life - but it is your life.

Whether you want to wait for the results of your surgery or not, you have to wait. There is nothing you can do about it so you might as well learn patience now.

It makes people look older, which doesn't sound good, but when you consider that almost everybody in the world looks much worse than their own wishful self-image it's a great leveller. I've found that people are more open and comfortable around me when my own flaws are as obvious as theirs.

In many careers it's an advantage to look mature as long as you've got the ability to match it. People instinctively take you more seriously.

Similarly in personal interactions people more readily grant you respect as long as you've got the character to match it and are comfortable in your own skin.

So it's not all bad, but it does really suck losing years of looking young and cool while goofing around in your 20s. But oh well they would've gone by in a flash anyway.

I'm very impatient when it comes to this. I think I might be getting a HT next month (ugghh, I wish it was tomorrow!). I'm 22,!
    too young. The Dr should refuse to perform the surgery

! I don't give a **** if a HT causes my head to look ****ed up in the future (which it won't). I want my good looks to be NOW!
    See. You're not thinking long term

The decsion you may make today, at 22, may very well come back to haunt you later in life .

Hair loss is progressive .

Keep in mind that you will continue to lose your original (non-transplanted) hair and that you may need further hair transplant surgery ( maybe more than just 1 or 2 )

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Guys in their 40's and 50's who are bothered by their hair loss are just as bothered as guys in their 20's are bothered by their hair loss. The age discrimination thing does not fly.
    No.

10charblock.

The doctor is not going to put his reputation and status on the line people. I know what I'm doing!