+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default NHS GP told me to stop finasteride, scolded me for taking it, denied I had hairloss

I've mentioned before that I saw a dermatologist at last in November for my hair loss, which I should have done far earlier than I did. I saw the doctor privately, as I needed to see someone quickly to calm my mind, and because my GP would not let me see an NHS dermatologist.

I approached my NHS GP at last earlier today that the diagnosis and treatment information I had seen a dermatologist and had been given a legit (but non-NHS) prescription for finasteride, which the GP had no idea I was taking.

I took the letter from the dermatologist and one of the three packets of fin I had to show him.

The GP erupted angrily pretty much immediately. My GP acted as if taking finasteride for hairloss was like using street heroin cut with brick dust!

Firstly he said, why have you seen someone privately without telling me? How can you afford that?

Secondly he said, (finasteride) is not properly legal for this to be prescribed for hair loss, it's "off licence", no one legitimate should prescribe it for hair loss. He said that no one on the NHS can prescribe it.

Thirdly, he looked at my hair (or squinted at it) and said I had no hair loss at all, and shouldn't be treating something that didn't exist with dangerous semi-illegal drugs. He asked, how long do you hope to use this for, the next 50 years?

Fourthly, he refused the liver function test that I was suggested by the dermatologist to get while using finasteride, because I shouldn't be on finasteride anyway, so don't need a liver test.

Lastly, he just said I have anxiety as the issue, hair loss is "untreatable" anyway, and no one needs hair and it's normal to go bald, gave me a form for another packet of Lorazepam (anti-anxiety drug) and said, forget about hair, treat your anxiety.

That's ignoring that 99% of my anxiety at the moment is because of my hair loss!! I told him very explicitly that treating my hair loss is part of calming my anxiety, and hair loss is causing the anxiety!

So, I can't get the liver function test, he refused to top up my prescription for fin, told me to stop using fin immediately (and held onto my fin packet, with the dermatologist's letter, which I wanted to keep) because it is dangerous and not legal to use for hair loss, was told that hair loss is not preventable/treatable, was told I have no hair loss and shouldn't be taking fin, basically doubted anything the dermatologist said.

What do I do now? My first thought was to go back to the dermatologist, but I can't afford to see him again TBH. I did ask to see an dermatologist on the NHS (again) but was refused.

I am not going to give up taking finasteride, my anxiety about hair loss would destroy me very quickly if I did, I can barely hold together at the moment.

I feel your pain with GPs. You need to get in contact with Spex on this forum im pretty sure he has/knows a doctor who prescribes Finasteride for UK patients as I dont think its legal over there as you have stated.

I too regret not getting on Finasteride earlier. I was too scared to ask GP for prescription and also was in denial like most, as I had extremely thick hair with slight recession, its still reasonably thick now but has definitely thinned. For most first it will start to recede then it will start to thin.

After finally getting the courage to see a GP. The first GP I went to, I told him I am shedding hair on my towel when I dry my hair maybe 30-40 hairs(as I never before noticed this). He replied its normal to shed up to 100 hairs a day. He fluffed his hand through my hair and said my hair is fine and is thick and would not prescribe me it, gave my a brochure fore some vitamin bullshit from the chemist.

Fast forward 6 months more shedding and I finally talked a different GP to prescribe it for me. Nobody knows your body and hair like you do especially a GP you go to on the odd occasion. If you have noticed a difference like you obviously have, get on Finasteride immediately until a better alternative comes, hopefully not 50 years. I have been on Finasteride for 2 years 11 months now (have it written down) shedding decreased and seems to be holding on to what I have fingers crossed.

Not trying to give you more anxiety but if your hairloss is giving you anxiety now its only going to get worse the more hair you loose as your styling options become more limited.

http://ukfinasteride.info/ and go see another GP about your liver function test.

Quote Originally Posted by doinmyheadin View Post
    http://ukfinasteride.info/ and go see another GP about your liver function test.
    Thanks, but I don't want to get medicines via non-legit means off web stores (would they even work?) without medical help. I've changed my GP four times over the last 6 years, I might not be able to go back to the other surgeries. I might get the same problem with another GP, then what do I do?

PM Spex he is in the UK and should be able to help you

I think your GP's reaction might be quite warranted. I wish I'd taken a more "standard" medical route and had some tests run before going on finasteride, instead of getting prescribed by some random online doctor who I will never meet. Comparing it to a street drug is a fair analogy - it is a drug that alters levels of hormones in your body... which is exactly what steroids does, for instance.

People are treating finateride far too frivolously, like it's some magic candy. Let's be realistic: it's a potent drug that has real and potentially permanent consequences on your body. We need to take more caution; not less.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisis View Post
    I think your GP's reaction might be quite warranted. I wish I'd taken a more "standard" medical route and had some tests run before going on finasteride, instead of getting prescribed by some random online doctor who I will never meet. Comparing it to a street drug is a fair analogy - it is a drug that alters levels of hormones in your body... which is exactly what steroids does, for instance.

People are treating finateride far too frivolously, like it's some magic candy. Let's be realistic: it's a potent drug that has real and potentially permanent consequences on your body. We need to take more caution; not less.
    He has actually been prescribed originally by a dermatologist. He is also doing the right thing and having other tests done to make sure Finasteride is not effecting anything else. Its no magical candy but unfortunately its only one of two proven and FDA approved treatments for hairloss. Maintaining hair on 85% of people who take it with side effects in less than 2% of people.

I dont know about the GPs in the Uk and America but the ones here in Australia are a joke, I dont go to the GP unless I need a prescription for whatever medication or need a blood test or similar done. You go there for 5 minutes for them to tell you something you already know (go home rest drink plenty of water take a panadol) WAFJ

Your GP clearly knows very little in my opinion.

Sorry to hear you have run into the only too familiar tale of a GP not knowing anything about the drug therefore rejects it immediately. Very common.

Might i suggest you call Dr John Ashcroft who is a registered GP in Derbyshire and i have known him years. He is very well known and informed Dr on Finasteride.

He will most certainly be able to help you out and advise further. I think it best you speak to a GP who actually knows what he is on about and has had a great deal of experience with the specific drug rather than a GP like yours who clearly doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

Dr Ashcroft: jsashcroft@gmail.com
    Tel : 07971472823

Regards
    Spex
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Kirby

Tell us what you really think of finasteride. Dont hold back

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_ View Post
    I've mentioned before that I saw a dermatologist at last in November for my hair loss, which I should have done far earlier than I did. I saw the doctor privately, as I needed to see someone quickly to calm my mind, and because my GP would not let me see an NHS dermatologist.

I approached my NHS GP at last earlier today that the diagnosis and treatment information I had seen a dermatologist and had been given a legit (but non-NHS) prescription for finasteride, which the GP had no idea I was taking.

I took the letter from the dermatologist and one of the three packets of fin I had to show him.

The GP erupted angrily pretty much immediately. My GP acted as if taking finasteride for hairloss was like using street heroin cut with brick dust!

Firstly he said, why have you seen someone privately without telling me? How can you afford that?

Secondly he said, (finasteride) is not properly legal for this to be prescribed for hair loss, it's "off licence", no one legitimate should prescribe it for hair loss. He said that no one on the NHS can prescribe it.

Thirdly, he looked at my hair (or squinted at it) and said I had no hair loss at all, and shouldn't be treating something that didn't exist with dangerous semi-illegal drugs. He asked, how long do you hope to use this for, the next 50 years?

Fourthly, he refused the liver function test that I was suggested by the dermatologist to get while using finasteride, because I shouldn't be on finasteride anyway, so don't need a liver test.

Lastly, he just said I have anxiety as the issue, hair loss is "untreatable" anyway, and no one needs hair and it's normal to go bald, gave me a form for another packet of Lorazepam (anti-anxiety drug) and said, forget about hair, treat your anxiety.

That's ignoring that 99% of my anxiety at the moment is because of my hair loss!! I told him very explicitly that treating my hair loss is part of calming my anxiety, and hair loss is causing the anxiety!

So, I can't get the liver function test, he refused to top up my prescription for fin, told me to stop using fin immediately (and held onto my fin packet, with the dermatologist's letter, which I wanted to keep) because it is dangerous and not legal to use for hair loss, was told that hair loss is not preventable/treatable, was told I have no hair loss and shouldn't be taking fin, basically doubted anything the dermatologist said.

What do I do now? My first thought was to go back to the dermatologist, but I can't afford to see him again TBH. I did ask to see an dermatologist on the NHS (again) but was refused.

I am not going to give up taking finasteride, my anxiety about hair loss would destroy me very quickly if I did, I can barely hold together at the moment.
    I am not sure how your health system works but how can not you get the tests you want? where I live I go to a laboratory and say I want blah blah blah test and there you go. but I have to say my insurance does not cover them, I pay the whole prices. I don't think liver functions test would cost much, cannot you get it without doctor's prescription?
    and how can he hold onto your personal stuff, is that even legal?
    what's wrong with seeing another doctor? as far as I know every patient has the right to choose their doctors.