NHS GP told me to stop finasteride, scolded me for taking it, denied I had hairloss

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Exodus
    • Nov 2012

Kirby, Im sorry you've got to the stage of vomiting and feeling mass depression, it's a horrible position and I do feel for you.

But just putting it out there and I know it's probably not what you want to hear, you're on Fin and I presume you're using Minox? If the regimen is not working, could you just buzz it, work out and move on? The stress, worrying and all sorts is far far unhealthy and really isn't the way forward.

Comment

• UK_
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by chrisis
      The problem in general is the perception that the drug should be prescribed so casually. I would say any GP who takes a step back from that position for the safety of the patient is actually a good doctor. Sure you can get someone to write a script for you over the internet, that's not exactly decent and ethical medicine really is it?

The idea that you should switch to dutasteride underscores the irresponsibility that pervades these forums. Apparently everyone's a doctor these days
      Yeah especially that **** TracyC.

Comment

• drybone
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Kirby_
        I'm wondering if I can continue the fight against hair loss now if I can't get get legit access to the only thing available at present that works. Absolutely terrified. Been vomiting with stress. Don't know what to do.
        I would probably consider becoming a shut in. I dont know if I could face the world with this ultimate stress inducing , throwing up type of terrify problem like hairloss

Perhaps you could start a non profit and get donations to cure this terrible disease.

Comment

• UK_
          • Feb 2011

Sorry to hear about all the stress Kirby, hang in there.

What NW scale are you atm?

Comment

• Jcm800
            • Jan 2011

I went to ask my GP's opinion of the Boots hair retention programme last year, said I was concerned about sides. He said casually that all drugs have sides, "go for it". Granted he wasn't about to prescribe it for me, but he certainly didn't condemn it or blow his stack.

Comment

• drybone
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Jcm800
              I went to ask my GP's opinion of the Boots hair retention programme last year, said I was concerned about sides. He said casually that all drugs have sides, "go for it". Granted he wasn't about to prescribe it for me, but he certainly didn't condemn it or blow his stack.
              Sounds like your doctor is NOT interested in trolling an internet forum.

Comment

• Kirby_
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by UK_
                Sorry to hear about all the stress Kirby, hang in there.

What NW scale are you atm?
                NW2.5, but very diffuse in parts. Could be worse, but I want to keep what I have, it's the anticipation of what is to come without preventative meausres that upsets me. I feel bad that I didn't notice it sooner, it all kind of creeps up on you.

Originally posted by Jcm800
                Interesting... I did use that programme, and they said they'd inform my GP, but they obviously didn't. I thought it'd be above board. I gave up on it because it was expensive and unsustainable, and the people running it knew less about the drug than what I knew from reading hair loss forums(!). So that's why I went to a dermatologist. Almost wish I'd still had my head stuck in the sand still.

Comment

• yeahyeahyeah
                  • Nov 2011

NW2.5, but very diffuse in parts. Could be worse, but I want to keep what I have, it's the anticipation of what is to come without preventative meausres that upsets me. I feel bad that I didn't notice it sooner, it all kind of creeps up on you.

Interesting... I did use that programme, and they said they'd inform my GP, but they obviously didn't. I thought it'd be above board. I gave up on it because it was expensive and unsustainable, and the people running it knew less about the drug than what I knew from reading hair loss forums(!). So that's why I went to a dermatologist. Almost wish I'd still had my head stuck in the sand still.
                  Did your HL get worse with fin?

Comment

• Tracy C
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Spex
                    Your GP clearly knows very little in my opinion...

...I think it best you speak to a GP who actually knows what he is on about and has had a great deal of experience with the specific drug rather than a GP like yours who clearly doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

Regards
                    Spex
                    ^ That up there.

Comment

• stamina123
                      • Feb 2013

Im seeing my GP on monday....
                      I really hope they allow me a private prescription for Generic Finasteride.

Comment

• drybone
                        • Dec 2012

Im on it almost a month now and there has been some shedding but they tell me it will halt my hair loss. I have a long ways to go but so far no side effects.

If you get generic fin, you can get the 5mg kind and chop it into 4 pieces and save yourself quite a bit of cash.

Comment

• Kirby_
                          • Jan 2012

Can someone PLEASE help me? I don't want to have to give up fighting hair loss! I'm vomiting with stress every other day still. I've found out about switching GPs, but on the NHS I can only switch to another surgery every so often, and no choice of GP - I might end up with a woman GP, which would be far worse. I feel sick and trapped.

Comment

• drybone
                            • Dec 2012

Can someone PLEASE help me? I don't want to have to give up fighting hair loss! I'm vomiting with stress every other day still. I've found out about switching GPs, but on the NHS I can only switch to another surgery every so often, and no choice of GP - I might end up with a woman GP, which would be far worse. I feel sick and trapped.
                            I highly doubt a group of guys in the same boat as you are going to be able to help you anywhere near as much as a doctor or dermatologist.

Go to a doctor. Dont like that? Then go to another one, then get a third opinion.

I am sure you will be fine. This is the best advice you can have. The only thing left to do is go do it.

Comment

• drybone
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by stamina123
                              Im seeing my GP on monday....
                              I really hope they allow me a private prescription for Generic Finasteride.
                              hey. did they ever give you any fin ? Let us know.

Comment

• stamina123
                                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by drybone
                                hey. did they ever give you any fin ? Let us know.
                                Yeah, but not the cheap stuff. I got a private prescription for the Merck branded stuff...the cheapest chemist near me done it for £37, for 28 tabs.

Comment

Working...