+ Reply to Thread

Default hair loss treatment should be covered by insurance

How is hair loss not covered by insurance? Treatment of many mental health conditions (that I believe are made up) are covered by insurance! When people lose hair the sun and other things cause damage to the head! Hair protects the scalp! HT's and medicine should definitely be covered by insurance

Agreed. 10 char

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheLoss View Post
    How is hair loss not covered by insurance? Treatment of many mental health conditions (that I believe are made up) are covered by insurance! When people lose hair the sun and other things cause damage to the head! Hair protects the scalp! HT's and medicine should definitely be covered by insurance
    I think the big beef is that it would ignite a big discussion about what should and shouldn't be considered worthy (from a cosmetic standpoint) of being covered by insurance.

You could argue anything aesthetic affects your mental health, and it probably does. But, where do we draw the line. If you say your nose is bothering you, should insurance pay for rhinoplasty?

Just working the other angle - I would love to have my hair loss treated for free.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    I think the big beef is that it would ignite a big discussion about what should and shouldn't be considered worthy (from a cosmetic standpoint) of being covered by insurance.

You could argue anything aesthetic affects your mental health, and it probably does. But, where do we draw the line. If you say your nose is bothering you, should insurance pay for rhinoplasty?

Just working the other angle - I would love to have my hair loss treated for free.
    Well it's funny you used that analogy...I went in to the doctor because I was having trouble breathing from my nose and he reconstructed my nose. Now, I actually was having trouble with breathing and it needed fixed, but it could be faked easily. Also, I had to pay for the surgery out of pocket because my insurance deductible is 10k and the surgery was 8k.....but anyone with decent insurance would have had it paid for! Hairloss should be looked at as protection of the scalp.