+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dex89 View Post
    opps forgot to attach the pic.

click on the link below, that was me about a year ago. You can kind of see that I'm doing a little come over there.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9898
    Looking at this photo, you seem a NW0 to me!

Quote Originally Posted by baldozer View Post
    Looking at this photo, you seem a NW0 to me!
    NW0? that looks like a NW-1 to me, lol

Quote Originally Posted by mcmjlm View Post
    . My moms dad is completely bald along with her 2 brothers. On the other hand, my dad, his dad, an his dad all have a HEAD FULL of hair. Would you say im in danger of balding?
    The genetics of baldness still aren't fully understood. Speculating on whether or not you'll go bald because of one side of the family isn't very helpful.

The old wives tale was that you got it from your maternal grandfather. My hairline is farther back than my 70-some year old maternal grandfather's is now. This came into being because the first allele found associated with baldness was located on the sex X-chromosome, which males get from their mother.

That said, some research has shown that men whose dad is bald are many times more likely to bald.

My main point is: don't worry about the genetics too much. If there is balding in your family, assume you have a chance to go bald. Educated, competent physicians should know what to look for to indicate whether or not you are going bald based on your phenotype expression.

Quote Originally Posted by konfusion View Post
    @mcmjlm

@dex89
    it's the first time I see a photo of you and it seems your hair rocks
    are you sure you have the mpb?
    Yeah, I have the early stages of Mpb, that hairline you see is long gone.My hair has receded to a NW 1.5 going to a 2. Proscar has helped me slow it down.

OP I was around your age when my hairline starter to receded, monitor it mate.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    The genetics of baldness still aren't fully understood. Speculating on whether or not you'll go bald because of one side of the family isn't very helpful.

The old wives tale was that you got it from your maternal grandfather. My hairline is farther back than my 70-some year old maternal grandfather's is now. This came into being because the first allele found associated with baldness was located on the sex X-chromosome, which males get from their mother.

That said, some research has shown that men whose dad is bald are many times more likely to bald.

My main point is: don't worry about the genetics too much. If there is balding in your family, assume you have a chance to go bald. Educated, competent physicians should know what to look for to indicate whether or not you are going bald based on your phenotype expression.
    What about guys like me who have no hairloss in the family tree and yet my older brother and I are both losing it. I'm guessing it must have been a recessive gene that hasn't been expressed for generations...?

yeah i have the thickest hair in my immediate family, out of 3 of my siblings. with me being the only one in the family with a hairline as high as mine, i was just asking if that made me a candidate to being bald.. hope i don't.. does anyone know if my hair is thick, if that lessens my chances of going bald or not?

Well yeah once the high corners are reached it won't keep marching back through thick hair. If it's going to go any further I think you'll be able to notice gradual thinning later if you're looking for it. Thick hair isn't in danger yet.

At least that's my understanding of mature hairline vs actual balding.

Wonder if I'd be eligible to get hair transplants and how much it would be to get a hairline that goes across?

Hey Dex.

That photo of you is a norwood 0 or even -1.

You got a ton of hair.

I'm 22 have a similar hairline maybe not quiet as receeded, though my hairs thick and I can still manage to cover my receeding hairline. It's hard if you get sweaty from exercise/swimming though.