+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post My Treatment Recommendation From A Doctor

Hello,

I saw a doctor today in regards to two things (1) Hair loss & (2) Acne on back.

He was a dermatologist, DO, who also does hair transplants. He was a very nice man and took his time in answering my questions.

For the back he prescribed me Tretinoin 0.05% Topical Cream to be applied at nighttime to dry out the left over acne that I have.

For my hair loss, he said that he thinks for a guy like me, minoxidil should be used. I asked him about "Lipogaine" and he said "I have never heard of that." I said what should I use? He said "Rogaine, liquid or foam doesn't matter, whatever your comfortable with."

I then asked him about "Regenepure DR." And he said he had no idea about that shampoo and usually recommends "DHS Shampoo" to his patients. I told him about how "Lipogaine Big 3 Shampoo contains saw palmetto and biotin" and he said "Yes, supplement with biotin and saw palmetto, it's good." I then said "Well, ketoconozole 1% is shown to treat hair loss" He said "What? No it's not, that is for dandruff." I then told him about "Azelic Acid Cream 10% Topical for hair loss" He said "What? WHere are you getting this from? That is for skin, not hair."

At the end of consultation, he also told me to apply the Tretinoin 0.05% topical cream on my front scalp at bedtime to dry out my oily skin because oily skin from face and cause oily scalp which is bad for hair loss.

What do you guys think overall? I'm about to start my treatment this week. I need some input from you guys. Thanks!

wow so oily hair causes skin loss? Cause i try to avoid shampooing my hair everyday cause im worried the chemicals in the shampoo too often and constantly rubbing my hair would increase my hair loss?

That's what the dermatologist told me, that oily skin can cause hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by FineHair View Post
    What do you guys think overall?
    Lipogaine is just over priced generic Minoxidil.

The doctor is correct about the primary indications for Ketoconazole and Alezic Acid. The use of Alezic Acid for treating hair loss is "off-label" and generally not recomended. The benefits of Ketoconazole as an adjunct treatment for hair loss is catching on.

The actual benefits of the extra ingredients of Regenepure is questionable at best. Yes Biotin taken internally as a supplement is helpful - but externally in a shampoo it does nothing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Lipogaine is just over priced generic Minoxidil.

The doctor is correct about the primary indications for Ketoconazole and Alezic Acid. The use of Alezic Acid for treating hair loss is "off-label" and generally not recomended. The benefits of Ketoconazole as an adjunct treatment for hair loss is catching on.

The actual benefits of the extra ingredients of Regenepure is questionable at best. Yes Biotin taken internally as a supplement is helpful - but externally in a shampoo it does nothing for you.
    So the doctor basically wasn't into updated research? He had no idea about Azelic acid and ketoconozole inhibiting DHT.

I'm going to stay away from Saw Palmetto and Propecia - Do not want to risk the sexual side effects in the near future. But WOW, now I am hearing how minoxidil can cause sexual side effects. It chemically synthesizes into your bloodstream when applied to the scalp??????? Whoa! & There have been reports on how it has decreased libido. Damn, I don't want my d*** to shrink and end up having some hair/no hair - I am too young for that. Has anyone experienced decreased libido effects with minoxidil (Rogaine/Lipogaine)?

So the doctor basically wasn't into updated research?
    That is not exactly true. The "research" on Alezic Acid for hair loss is not legitimate research. Therefore it is no surprise that the doctor would not know what you think you know. The research on Ketoconazole was significantly better but still but good enough to make make major headlines in any medical journals. However, the general public is learning about the benefits of Ketoconazole anyways. The risks of using Alezin Acid outweigh any possible benefits as far as treating hair loss goes.

That is not exactly true. The "research" on Alezic Acid for hair loss is not legitimate research. Therefore it is no surprise that the doctor would not know what you think you know. The research on Ketoconazole was significantly better but still but good enough to make make major headlines in any medical journals. However, the general public is learning about the benefits of Ketoconazole anyways. The risks of using Alezin Acid outweigh any possible benefits as far as treating hair loss goes.

I was excited in trying minoxidil only. The doctor was like "it's safe, go ahead use it, it's awesome, it might work for you." I come along website and thread and with a simple google search i see many stories on minoxidil and libido. I also hear that it can kill collagen and cause dark circles and wrinkles and aging issues. Why the hell would a doctor say it's safe and have no idea about all the damn complaints that have been filed against minoxidil? Doctors need to read and update themselves on these complaints.

Why the hell would a doctor say it's safe...
    Because a very small percentage of people have problems with Minoxidil.

Look, you are not going to find anything that does not have possible side effects. The truth is Minoxidil is very well tolerated by most people who use it. Very few people experience any of the possible side effects at all.

Because a very small percentage of people have problems with Minoxidil.

Look, you are not going to find anything that does not have possible side effects. The truth is Minoxidil is very well tolerated by most people who use it. Very few people experience any of the possible side effects at all.

According to where you get your information? Very few on side effects? No way! WIth minoxidil?

That shit can hurt you in the near future, studies show it through clinical research. Freakin these young guys take it and grow some hair and end up hurting their collagen and end up looking like a ugly 40 year old with wrinkles and black dark circles........scares that shit out of me.

I rather go with hair transplants, but damn, wouldn't that also require the FDA approved medications after the transplant sugery?

I guess there is also PRP hair therapy.

If you don't block DHT you probably should not bother with a regimen for your hair.