+ Reply to Thread

Default Herbal "DHT Blockers" worth trying?

Has anyone tried one of those Herbal "DHT Blockers" like NuHair?

Link

I'm just starting to plan my treatment approach and am holding back from Propecia because of widespread reports of sexual side effects. I know officially it is only 3% of men, but anecdotal evidence (including my father's own experience) is pushing me towards a "natural" herbal solution first, if there is even such a thing.

Do you think it's a total waste of time and money or worth a shot? Any experience?

Thanks for your contributions.

Sam

I'm having sexual side effects at 1mg finasteride a day though after a month on it they're not so severe anymore, but still severe enough to be undesirable long-term. I've heard mixed views regarding the efficacy of herbal treatments, no idea if they really work.

you should consult your doctor...cause these also have hormonal effects on your body as medicines do

I am also curious about NuHair...I have been researching it and have only heard good things. Seems there are no negative side effect and most people found it at least somewhat affective. I was just hoping for some final affirmation here I guess!

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I am a believer in trying new things. Especially if they are natural products. Unfortunately, most have proven to be ineffective. Most do not cause any harm so it might be worth a try. If it is really expensive or has any medications in the ingredients than I recommend getting the advise of a physician before making a significant investment. I have had many patients try the products you mentioned and have yet to see any real positive results. Good luck!
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Smile

There are many natural DHT blockers in the market, some of which claim stopping DHT hair loss within a week. These are products that include ingredients such as green tea, pumpkin seed oil etc. Anybody tried them and do they really effect hair regrowth? Which product can you recommend?
    Thank you
    http://malespower.com/hairloss-treatment/

I think it would be safe to say that any product claiming to have a noticeable difference or work within a week is probably something to be wary of.

I'd have a chat with your doc/dermatologist/trichologist about the herbal solutions you have in mind and see what they say and maybe do a little research on the ingredients in them.

the unfortunate thing is you can't inhibit DHT without risking sexual side effects, that is the fact
    the side effects are due to the fact you are inhibiting DHT
    i have never heard of any natural plant that inhibits 5ar and frankly if there was it would also come with a risk of ED

I think that the main question here is whether natural DHT blockers are worth trying and in my opinion I would say yes. I have spoken to people using products such as Revivogen and Nanoguard with reportedly good results.

Any treatment that reduces DHT could potentially affect your sex drive due to the role that DHT plays in the body.

Herbal supplements like saw palmetto have not been tested on as large a scale as something propecia but I don't think that this necessarily means that it cannot be effective without side effects. Any treatment works differently in each case.

Just be cautious of anything that claims to be a miracle cure.

My 2 cents

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

Andyman brings up some good points. I personally would not use supplements due to the lack of scientific merit (that is why I wouldn't spend the money) although I suspect anecdotally many things work that haven't been thoroughly investigated. More importantly for me is that most supplements are minimally regulated as food and quality and consistancy may be lacking. (that is why i wouldn't put them in my mouth).

But keep us up to date if you go ahead and use them, we may all learn something. And you may get a good result to boot.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile