+ Reply to Thread

Default Wearing a piece but thinking of getting rid

Hi guys. I have been bald for many years, I would say I'm a NW5V to a 6. I have been wearing a hairpiece for around 18 years now (wow has it been that long), my age is 37 and I'm due to get married in a few months followed by a big honeymoon.

I'm thinking of throwing away my unit and going natural with having what I have left buzzed down and maybe style my stubble which is thicker than most people (if only it grew on my head). I'm bored and tired with the constant maintenance of the unit and I don't have enough donor area for a HT that I sold be happy with. When I last had menu it attached I took pictures of me in my glory and thought I looked ok. I know some men can pull it off and some can't. I do have strong facial features and people say I have nice eyes. If I was going to resemble someone famous by going natural it would probably be close to Billy Zane, not quite as good as him.

My wife to be knows that I'm a hair wearer as do most in work since a colleague of mine made a job of telling people that I wore a wig (must be because I got girlfriends and in 20 years of knowing him I have never known him have one), it doesn't not look like the stupid old fashioned one, I did have a few people ask me and I was honest and told them, they didn't judge and said they couldn't tell (maybe they were just being polite). My other half thinks I will look older without it, however she has never seen me without hair but says its entirely my decision and loves me regardless.

I dunno what to do or if I will end up regretting it and how do I go about telling people or announcing that I'm bald to people who do not know. I would probably not do the full shaved look and maybe just use clippers without the guard. I'm just over 6" tall, broad shoulders and medium build, not rippling muscle.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by OhYeah View Post
    Hi guys. I have been bald for many years, I would say I'm a NW5V to a 6. I have been wearing a hairpiece for around 18 years now (wow has it been that long), my age is 37 and I'm due to get married in a few months followed by a big honeymoon.

I'm thinking of throwing away my unit and going natural with having what I have left buzzed down and maybe style my stubble which is thicker than most people (if only it grew on my head). I'm bored and tired with the constant maintenance of the unit and I don't have enough donor area for a HT that I sold be happy with. When I last had menu it attached I took pictures of me in my glory and thought I looked ok. I know some men can pull it off and some can't. I do have strong facial features and people say I have nice eyes. If I was going to resemble someone famous by going natural it would probably be close to Billy Zane, not quite as good as him.

My wife to be knows that I'm a hair wearer as do most in work since a colleague of mine made a job of telling people that I wore a wig (must be because I got girlfriends and in 20 years of knowing him I have never known him have one), it doesn't not look like the stupid old fashioned one, I did have a few people ask me and I was honest and told them, they didn't judge and said they couldn't tell (maybe they were just being polite). My other half thinks I will look older without it, however she has never seen me without hair but says its entirely my decision and loves me regardless.

I dunno what to do or if I will end up regretting it and how do I go about telling people or announcing that I'm bald to people who do not know. I would probably not do the full shaved look and maybe just use clippers without the guard. I'm just over 6" tall, broad shoulders and medium build, not rippling muscle.

Thanks guys.
    I don't normally respond to posts in this section, however your story seems fairly similar to mine.

I'm 29 years old and have been wearing a hair unit for 10 years. Very expensive, looked reasonably good, I have had a couple of questions from close friends and a few funny looks, but that's about it.

However the maintenance of the whole thing was killing me. I tallied up the amount of time I was spending in front of the mirror per week and knew I was wasting my life making sure everything was firmly in place.

I'm also getting married next year and there is no way I want to wear the unit on the big day, I don't want people thinking/sniggering is he wearing a wig etc, it's also the paranoia aspect for me.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I have a form of scarring alopecia, which means my scalp has a completely slick bald area of approx 100cm2 which will never regrow. My donor is also quite thin and I have been rejected or advised not to have hair transplants from various clinics in the UK.

Then I found a doctor called Dr Gho. He claims to be able to take hair from your limited donor area and place this hair into your balding area, the magic happens in the donor area because the hair grafts which have been extracted will regrow again and they can subsequently be re-extracted in future procedures. The other bonus of Gho is the procedure is scarless, so you can wear your hair shaved afterwards.

I have gone ahead and had the procedure with Gho and of course ditched the hair piece. I'm not hear to promote Gho, you can find plenty about him in the Hair transplant section, but what I will say is, shaving your head is so liberating I just wish I had done it years ago.

You will look better than I currently do, as you can imagine shaving your head with a huge slick bald area in a perfect round circle between the forelock area and the crown can look a little strange, but when I buzz it to a zero, it looks normal. I have to wait 3 months for the new hair transplant takes and starts to grow in the balding area and then I will let it grow out slightly to a #1 or #2 grade. IMO you don't have to use a razor blade, just clip it without a guard as you say.

The hardest part is what people will say and think afterwards, worrying about it is actually worse than speaking to people the first time they see you with your head shaved.

I took the angle of if anyone asks me what have I done, I just say I wanted a change. There isn't much of a come back to that.

It might look a hell of a lot thinner on top, but when it's down to a #0 or #1 it can look deceivingly thicker than what you might think.

You'll be surprised at how many people either don't comment or just say, **** why did you do that and you have your answer above.

Best of luck to you.

Yeah I know what you mean. I was thinking of wearing it on the big day and then removing it the following day just before we go away for 3 weeks on our honeymoon. Was thinking of announcing it on Facebook with pictures of the new look just to put it out there.

I'm sure most people would say finally you took it off as I do believe that 80% of the people I know realise that I do have a unit.

It's like a security blanket though but it does get on my nerves the constant maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by OhYeah View Post
    Yeah I know what you mean. I was thinking of wearing it on the big day and then removing it the following day just before we go away for 3 weeks on our honeymoon. Was thinking of announcing it on Facebook with pictures of the new look just to put it out there.

I'm sure most people would say finally you took it off as I do believe that 80% of the people I know realise that I do have a unit.

It's like a security blanket though but it does get on my nerves the constant maintenance.
    Definitely don't put it on Facebook as an announcement, you'll just open yourself up to ridicule in the most cowardly way, however a photo of you without an actual reference about your hair is probably not going to cause a stir. IMO buzz it as short as your comfortable with. Tell your Mrs about the dilemma, surely she would want you to ditch it too.

Think about the wedding photos too, I'd definitely get rid asap. Maybe make sure most of the people that are going to your wedding see you at least once before the actual wedding so they aren't shocked by the new look on the actual wedding day.

And yea they might say, "about time you took it off", but then you just say, yeah I had enough of it, time to start living etc.

I won't see most people who are at the wedding hence I will keep it on especially as the wife has never known me without it, I am bald on top and have hair at the usual back and sides. She says its up to me but thinks I would look older but having said that I actually think I would look a little younger and maybe a bit more sophisticated with the look I would go for.

Think your right about showing everyone on Facebook with a picture and a quick note rather than an announcement.

I want to do this but I'm also terrified by changing from something I have had since a teenager. Never had trouble getting women and they've known about and have been fine. I am confident in myself as a person and around others.

It's feels like such a big step.

I used concealers (Toppik, Dermmatch) for a number of years and then got sick and tired of constantly worrying about whether people know (everyone knew) and all the time I was spending putting the damn thing on.

I got real short haircut and one day stopped stopped using that stuff. I felt liberated. Best decision I made. It is perfectly natural (although not desireable) to be either bald or balding.

Every person I know thinks that it was sensible thing to do.