+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_ View Post
    I'd have to research that. But what if I really have TE? I have to see it all through to see if I have.
    What is TE?

Telogen Effluvium.

Kirby, you likely don't have TE. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Telogen Effluvium.

Kirby, you likely don't have TE. Just saying.
    Serious: why do you say that? I mean, what lead you to that conclusion, personally? That's not me being accusing, I just want to know.

I was diagnosed that by a consultant dermatologist who works for the NHS, after checking my medical history and scalp up close. (One of his research interests seems to be dutasteride for hairloss, incidentally!)

He did also diagnose MPB too of course (obv. as he wouldn't have given me the fin prescription otherwise), I'm not saying I don't have that too. Just that TE is the secondary factor.

Serious: why do you say that? I mean, what lead you to that conclusion, personally? That's not me being accusing, I just want to know.

I was diagnosed that by a consultant dermatologist who works for the NHS, after checking my medical history and scalp up close. (One of his research interests seems to be dutasteride for hairloss, incidentally!)

He did also diagnose MPB too of course (obv. as he wouldn't have given me the fin prescription otherwise), I'm not saying I don't have that too. Just that TE is the secondary factor.
    I think what clandenstine is alluding to is that most young dudes try to convince themselves that their hairloss is TE (temporary, treatable) and not MPB as a coping mechanism.

You can always tell the new members who have done some research on hairloss, because they almost always say they suffer from extreme stress. Hell, I'll admit I did exactly that. Cost me 2 months of time I could have been seeing a professional.

No one can say definitively it isn't TE on this forum, but TE is rare and MPB is not. You'll be doing yourself an injustice to assume it is and go about your day.

Obviously, you've seen a professional and started fin, so there really isn't anything for you to worry about (the worry might give you TE, too :P)

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    I think what clandenstine is alluding to is that most young dudes try to convince themselves that their hairloss is TE (temporary, treatable) and not MPB as a coping mechanism.
    I thought like that at first, for the first few weeks when I realised I had hair loss. Didn't want to admit I had MPB - but at that point I didn't even realise there was any actual medical treatments.

If I get time tomorrow or day after I'll scan the doctor's letter I got from the dermatologist, if anyone's interested.

I thought like that at first, for the first few weeks when I realised I had hair loss. Didn't want to admit I had MPB - but at that point I didn't even realise there was any actual medical treatments.

If I get time tomorrow or day after I'll scan the doctor's letter I got from the dermatologist, if anyone's interested.
    Yeah, that'd be pretty good.

Coincidentally, my thinning is exclusively at my hairline. When I met my dermatologist some time ago, she said that that type of thinning might be caused by extreme mental stress (no idea where she got that from but i was too uneducated to further question at the time), but still offered me the option of finasteride (probably because she knew it was far more likely I was suffering from MPB). The diagnosis on my med records said general alopecia or unknown alopecia or something like that.

In the end of the day, she thought it was best I wait and watch a little longer, although she would prescribe me fin if I thought I was ready .During the 3 month wait for follow-up, I ended up getting antsy and decided to self-medicated (after months and months of research and lots of participation on this board).

Really wish I would have been more educated on MPB when I visited her. I would have started fin that day. Lost time and ground, but I erred on the side of caution.

I'm completely ****ed with my hairloss. Went to my GP this morning and he took my fin packet off me that I showed him i had been prescribed by the dermatologist, told me he won't have anything to do with it, I was taking dangerous drug, and that I had no hair loss, and even if I did there's nothing to treat it with, he denied I had hair loss

I'm completely ****ed with my hairloss. Went to my GP this morning and he took my fin packet off me that I showed him i had been prescribed by the dermatologist, told me he won't have anything to do with it, I was taking dangerous drug, and that I had no hair loss, and even if I did there's nothing to treat it with, he denied I had hair loss
    Wait, so he actually took your medication? Is that even legal?

I have never heard of that happening before. My doc didn't try to take any of my overseas meds, just told me to throw them away and she would give me a new prescription.

Sorta on/off topic. This is a ? that cant be answered but i still wonder about it anyway:

I wonder what % of dr's take propecia themselves? Why? Because if Dr use is common then you know they feel it is safe. But if not common, well they may have doubts even thought they still may or may not prescribe it.

No way to find this out, but would be interesting to know.