+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 18 with a pretty bad receding hairline, some questions

Hi everyone,

I'm 18 with a receding hairline. I know there have been hundreds of posts just like these, but I was hoping to get some direct responses to my own questions.

It's just real tough dealing with this at such a young age. I wouldn't mind being bald in my 40s or even late 30s as its normal, but at this rate I'm thinking I'm going to be noticeably bald in a coupe years. Right now I have my hair so it covers up the receding hairline pretty well, but it's the near future I'm worried about. As a bald 21 year old, I won't have any woman in my life.

My dad is 48 and is almost completely bald, but I don't think he had a receding hairline as bad as mine at 18, in fact after talking to him about I don't think he one at all that young. 30s is when he noticed his balding. I also can't think of anyone in my family that has this balding at such a young age.

Is it possible that my receding hairline could at one point stop or slow down? Or is it bound to move at a constant rate?

Setting aside all the scams out there, am I correct when I say Propecia, Rogaine and a hair transplant are the only options that actually work?

I would be on propecia right now if it weren't for the side affects. I would love to stop my receding hairline where it is now, but the side affects are deal breakers. For some reason I don't even feel that Rogaine would do anything for me.

At this point I'm thinking when it gets more noticeable, I'll get a hair transplant, but then it seems that hair transplants don't even have a high success rate! Plus, with a transplant, do you have to take propecia anyway?

I'm not sure what else to do. This has put a big damper on my life for the past two months as I realized what I really had. In 6th grade I remember a kid making a comment about how it looks like I have a receding hairline, but figured at such a young age it couldn't have been one, and that it was just my hair line, so I lived on thinking all was okay while covering it up with long hair, no one ever really noticed, never had any comments. But now with the thinning hair at my hairline, it's clear what I have here and its real depressing.

thanks for listening.

Dan

there is no solution just acceptance and that's why balding sucks,so no there are no solutions,i'm trying to find one but no

HT-your hairloss will continue in your entire life,making a ht at any age it's like a comitment to live the hairloss nightmare through the rest of your life,cause you'll have to cover the balding behind the transplants and in the end you may run off the donor area

Propecia-you risk of your health and hormones

minox-a total shit that you will have to use it as long as you want to keep ypur hair.It will not stop the aggressive baldness also there are many who say that may give you wrinkles or blur face.

The above posts a valid point. Treatments are a life-long commitment. Of course there are some who do not get sides and there are some who do.

Personally, a Hair-transplant is out of the question. I will be bald and I know I will. Its just a matter of accepting it (my hair is a grade 1 all over...it's gonna happen!)

Propecia...I can't say, I havent tried it, Maybe I will to see how it works. But I mean...at some point you do have to draw the line and accept.

Inactive

You can't stop hairloss without fin or duta. If you're unwilling to try them, accept being bald. That simple.

So what is the best product that slows down/stops further baldness? Is it best waiting to go bald and then look at a HTP?

Quote Originally Posted by arkeye View Post
    So what is the best product that slows down/stops further baldness? Is it best waiting to go bald and then look at a HTP?
    you'll never know how bald you'll end so a ht is always a risk

hi dan, you will no doubt get a lot of different answers/suggestions to your questions and the truth is each one is right in its own way as they're all opinions from people dealing with hairloss--i say dealing because some accept it and some struggle with it but no matter what everyone on this site deals with it. 18 is young for hairloss but it's not uncommon and for most of us it starts in our early twenties so don't feel ashamed or strange. finasteride is not for everyone and starting with it at 18 is not suggested as your body and horomones are still in a state of development. rogaine works for some but it's also mostly used on the crown (which is not to say it couldn't help on the hairline, only that application there is a pain in the ass and i know from experience

from the sound of things (your father being bald) i would guesst that your hairloss is genetic and and less a factor of diet or stress, etc. as someone who took finasteride (i quit due to sides) rogaine, i stopped because i got tired of pumping chemicals directly onto my head, and a hair transplant 2 years ago which helped but was only a temporary solution as the rest of my hair continues to thin out, i can tell you that the sooner you can make peace with hairloss the happier you will be. please believe me when i tell you that i know what a difficult proposition this is for a young guy, but after being that "guy" for the better part of a decade (the guy wearing hats, never going out, all that stuff) i know how much better it is to accept your hairloss and own it than to be tied to drugs and surgeries and hats and shame. there are surely 99 other things about your appearance that are good so try not to focus on the one things you don't like.

best of luck to you.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by arkeye View Post
    Finasteride and dutasteride are the only proven, long-term solutions.

Your hairline doesn't look bad at all, and from those pictures alone it is impossible to indicate if your hair loss will progress or if you even have hair loss. But if you are worrying that much about it, I would consider giving all of your options a second look. Finasteride, for instance, has been a very effective drug for many people, and the potential adverse side effects tend to be grossly over-stated on these forums.

Ultimately whether you get on finasteride, or anything else, is a decision you have to make with yourself and a physician. For now I would keep an eye on your hair and see whether or not it gets worse in the near future. Rogaine probably wouldn't hurt if you feel that strongly about doing something.

Quote Originally Posted by re22 View Post
    Your hairline doesn't look bad at all, and from those pictures alone it is impossible to indicate if your hair loss will progress or if you even have hair loss. But if you are worrying that much about it, I would consider giving all of your options a second look. Finasteride, for instance, has been a very effective drug for many people, and the potential adverse side effects tend to be grossly over-stated on these forums.

Ultimately whether you get on finasteride, or anything else, is a decision you have to make with yourself and a physician. For now I would keep an eye on your hair and see whether or not it gets worse in the near future. Rogaine probably wouldn't hurt if you feel that strongly about doing something.
    This.

I wasted like half a year before I went and saw a competent physician. Lost a lot of time (and a lot of hair). Just make the appointment and get in there. Might do yourself a favor making sure the physician is competent on MPB or you'll waste time and money like I did with the first doofus I saw.

I won't tell you to take fin, because this forum is saturated with dudes who have had sides and will tell you your dick will shrivel up if you take it. Regardless, as the quoted gentlemen above said, they're out of proportion here because the guys who have had good responses are too busy dominating other facets of life.
    (I myself am starting fin in approx a week)

Minox is expensive, time consuming, and also possess potential sides (though considerably less severe than fin's).