+ Reply to Thread

Default Transformative change from 23 to 24

Hello!

I am a 24 year old South Asian American male. I always had intensely thick black hair; I probably had a higher hair density (hairs per square unit) than any of my acquaintances of any age male or female. I also have fairly thick individual strands of hair. My friends used to joke that my hair looks like that of a model or a news reporter.

Last January (I was 23 at the time), while I was Skyping, my sister noticed that I have a very defined widow's peak... I brushed that comment off because I always had a mild widow's peak. But I started noticing more hairs in the sink than before... I blamed that on the length of my hair (it was very long then). But after a much needed haircut, I was surprised to find that I had very visible temples which was never the case before. Moreover, I started seeing the skin of my crown. The following months spanned the most psychologically and emotionally trying events in my life... my imminent alopecia just made everything worse.

Most men on my mother's side are bald... I always knew that I might acquire baldness from my genes, but I never expected it to happen so soon. I have been on Rogaine 5% for six months now (the "temporary" shedding never stopped) and 1 mg finasteride every other day -- the dermatologist prescribed it to be taken every other day, but my sexual dysfunction forced me to scale back. I started 1% Nizoral recently (since 2% is essentially unavailable nowadays). I am still shedding well over 100 hairs while showering alone. Quite a few of these shed hairs are thick terminal hairs albeit with short bulbs.

I am waiting for Histogen and Aderans to show me the way.

That's my story!

Wow, no joke! Your story is almost identical to mine... down to the widow's peak! Like you, my maternal grandfather is bald. The most surprising thing is I also didn't expect hair loss to happen so soon.

Here's to hoping new treatments arrive in time before its too late!

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Did you ever consider taking .5 mg Propecia daily rather than 1 mg everey other day? Sometimes lowering the dose but keeping it steady helps patients get through the initial sid effects. Just a thought. Hopefully this is just your time to get settled into your adult hairline and it will stop soon.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Good point. I will get the dosage lowered to 0.5 mg/day. Though I wonder, if it is indeed better to "amortize" a dosage regimen with a shorter period (e.g. every other day versus every day), then would a 1 mg/day patient benefit from splitting his dosage regimen to 0.5 mg/morning plus 0.5 mg/night regimen?

Quote Originally Posted by paradigmshift View Post
    Good point. I will get the dosage lowered to 0.5 mg/day. Though I wonder, if it is indeed better to "amortize" a dosage regimen with a shorter period (e.g. every other day versus every day), then would a 1 mg/day patient benefit from splitting his dosage regimen to 0.5 mg/morning plus 0.5 mg/night regimen?
    Agreed. That's similar to how I plan to approach it.

Quote Originally Posted by paradigmshift View Post
    Hello!

I am a 24 year old South Asian American male. I always had intensely thick black hair; I probably had a higher hair density (hairs per square unit) than any of my acquaintances of any age male or female. I also have fairly thick individual strands of hair. My friends used to joke that my hair looks like that of a model or a news reporter.

Last January (I was 23 at the time), while I was Skyping, my sister noticed that I have a very defined widow's peak... I brushed that comment off because I always had a mild widow's peak. But I started noticing more hairs in the sink than before... I blamed that on the length of my hair (it was very long then). But after a much needed haircut, I was surprised to find that I had very visible temples which was never the case before. Moreover, I started seeing the skin of my crown. The following months spanned the most psychologically and emotionally trying events in my life... my imminent alopecia just made everything worse.

Most men on my mother's side are bald... I always knew that I might acquire baldness from my genes, but I never expected it to happen so soon. I have been on Rogaine 5% for six months now (the "temporary" shedding never stopped) and 1 mg finasteride every other day -- the dermatologist prescribed it to be taken every other day, but my sexual dysfunction forced me to scale back. I started 1% Nizoral recently (since 2% is essentially unavailable nowadays). I am still shedding well over 100 hairs while showering alone. Quite a few of these shed hairs are thick terminal hairs albeit with short bulbs.

I am waiting for Histogen and Aderans to show me the way.

That's my story!
    My hair loss started within a 3-4 month period, as if a switch was flipped.
    There are some questions I would like to ask:

Did you notice a decrease in overall blood flow? Legs fall asleep easier?
    Do you still have morning erections?