+ Reply to Thread

Default My consult with dr. umar

hi,

I had a consult with dr. umar in redondo beach. he said i have a good amount of donor hair from my head and beard and chest hair. i asked him about using toppik, gel and hair die after the hair transplant. his answer was i should wait around 6 months after the procedure but everyone else i have talked to and the research on the internet all say you can use hair products after 2 weeks from the hair surgery. why such a big difference?

thanks =)

Quote Originally Posted by chriswelser View Post
    hi,

I had a consult with dr. umar in redondo beach. he said i have a good amount of donor hair from my head and beard and chest hair. i asked him about using toppik, gel and hair die after the hair transplant. his answer was i should wait around 6 months after the procedure but everyone else i have talked to and the research on the internet all say you can use hair products after 2 weeks from the hair surgery. why such a big difference?

thanks =)

I had some hairline work done by Dr. Umar. He is very meticulous about aftercare. My results have been great. I wouldn't feel good about using gel or other products on my new grafts, as they are new and need to grow, they need oxygen. This is why the newly implanted grafts shoud have no scarring after ten days.

hi atticus,

thanks for your input, how long did you wait after your procedure to put toppik or gel in your hair after the procedure?

hi atticus,

thanks for your input, how long did you wait after your procedure to put toppik or gel in your hair after the procedure?
    Well, for the most part, I was able to comb over one side of my hairline, and the other side didn't really look noticeable. I did start using Haircycle products (hairspray). haircycle products are made by doctors for the purpose of hair transplant patients.
    How many grafts are you getting?

I will be getting 5500 to 6000 grafts, my hair is thinning throughout my head close to a norwood 5. so I will be getting that many grafts to cover my whole head.

when do you think i would be able to use Haircycle products after my surgery? does Haircycle products make products like toppik?
    is there a website for Haircycle products?
    how much are the products approximately?

thanks

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Please post some post op photos so people can see what these 5000-6000 grafts cases look like. I have been hearing about some really large cases that Dr. Umar has been performing using a combination of scalp and body hair FUE's.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

hi,

thanks =)
    Chris, a lot of folks have different views as to when to start that stuff. But I would think that's just playing it safe. You don't want to have toppik clog your pores or follicles or to have some infection as a result of using any product. You want to make sure the area is fully healed and have had some growth to analyze things better. Keep the scalp healthy and avoid any risk to it that may jeapordize your grafts or transplant outcome. You invested too much to run into any issues with these products (if it occurs). I think 6 months is great advice. Growth usually starts peaking around that time and you really see it coming in at the 9 month mark.