+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ssquared2 View Post
    Drybone: The closest one to me is 5A except picture that with more hair on top. It's just at the "thinning" point and I don't have any actual "bald" spots except two on the back of my head from trichtillomania (I probably butchered the spelling of that) which is a kind of OCD that keeps me pulling at my hair at specific places (in my case where I have two old scars) when I'm anxious. But those are coin sized. Otherwise I guess I could be a 2 hairline-wise.

And thanks, Tracy C!

Oh and lifehappens- I would looooove to be able to run and let the pounds slide off but I can't. I have Lupus and RA so my joints aren't in such hot shape. I already walk with two forearm crutches; I can't picture myself running. I can't swim either because I have epilepsy and if I were to have a seizure in the water I'd drown right away. I can't even take baths. >_<

I'm so sorry to hear that, that's definitely a bummer. Next best approach, is just proper dieting. You'd be surprised how much weight you can lose just on a clean diet alone. So keep eating good, and I have faith you'll reach your goal of 150. Then when you do, you can entertain the idea of shaving your head.

Yup, that's what I'm hoping for. I've got this great calories in/out calculator on my iphone that's incredibly accurate and has a HUGE database so I rarely run into anything that I can't find. It's got me on 1530 a day to reach my goal at 2lb loss a week. I'm actually losing more than that because it's a stretch to reach 1530 for me (I'm pretty sedentary and as such don't work up much of an appetite). Most days I'm around 1000. Yes I know that is low but it is MUCH higher than it used to be in my anorexic days as a teenager so I figure any improvement is improvement, y'know? As long as I keep losing. I'm horrified that I've gotten to this weight/size, coming from someone who used to weigh 125 lbs (admittedly, that was too thin).

I just ordered a pack of Minoxidil from the pharmacy site earlier mentioned in the first page -- hopefully that'll help things a bit though I'm a little worried because it says it's highly toxic to cats and my mom's apartment (I'm homeless but I bathe there and take advantage of the wifi when she's at work) has 4 cats. One of which looooooves to lick my fingertips (i know, she's weird).

Hi ssquared2, I am not sure if finasteride or dutasteride is an option for you since they might have negative effects for you when you need to take advantage of masculinization effects of DHT but minoxidil seems to be the only thing you can use without consulting a doctor. now there are guys who are on testosterone replacement therapy while using DHT blockers so a very well balanced therapy might be helpful to you but I believe you should be closely monitored by a professional, please do not get into this without medical approval.

Yup, that's what I'm hoping for. I've got this great calories in/out calculator on my iphone that's incredibly accurate and has a HUGE database so I rarely run into anything that I can't find. It's got me on 1530 a day to reach my goal at 2lb loss a week. I'm actually losing more than that because it's a stretch to reach 1530 for me (I'm pretty sedentary and as such don't work up much of an appetite). Most days I'm around 1000. Yes I know that is low but it is MUCH higher than it used to be in my anorexic days as a teenager so I figure any improvement is improvement, y'know? As long as I keep losing. I'm horrified that I've gotten to this weight/size, coming from someone who used to weigh 125 lbs (admittedly, that was too thin).

I just ordered a pack of Minoxidil from the pharmacy site earlier mentioned in the first page -- hopefully that'll help things a bit though I'm a little worried because it says it's highly toxic to cats and my mom's apartment (I'm homeless but I bathe there and take advantage of the wifi when she's at work) has 4 cats. One of which looooooves to lick my fingertips (i know, she's weird).
    Good luck with the Minox~
    You may want to try the foam next time you order it as it's much easier to apply and wash off your hands after.
    And like Tracy said perhaps talk to your doctor to get your testosterone levels adjusted.

Oh and lifehappens- I would looooove to be able to run and let the pounds slide off but I can't. I have Lupus and RA so my joints aren't in such hot shape. I already walk with two forearm crutches; I can't picture myself running. I can't swim either because I have epilepsy and if I were to have a seizure in the water I'd drown right away. I can't even take baths. >_<
    I have a friend at work who is about 5' 8 and was probably heavier than you. I would say about 250. She cannot run ether do to joint problems. But what she has been doing and you probably can do is swimming in a pool. She works at another branch and I have not seen her in months. But she called last week and told me the swimming is working...as she has lost 50lbs in about 6 months time. She said the only thing besides swimming is her Dr. Put her on appetite suppressants. So check with your Dr, but you probably can swim off the weight without any pain. Also I have another friend with RA. He can't even walk without pain, but he can ride a bike

And btw, I am on T myself as a year ago I looked like the good year blimp and was around 286. I was 1 point away from diabetes and several other health problems. They put me on a lose dose of T (a gell) and as soon as my strength returned I started running though my Dr wanted me to walk only (and consider weight loss surgery) but I knew running would work better as it had worked in the past. By Dec I was 216, so exercise + T should definitely work for you. And I think swimming is just as good-fat burning wise, just not my cup of T.

As far as the MPB goes, I already had it prior to going on T. But it was dormant mostly likely do to my low T condition. But within a month or so of going on T, it became active again and hair started piling up in the sink and bathroom floor. But 5% rogaine has really slowed it down FWIW.

And again, you really should read up in the FTM communities as many of those guys report good results with Rogaine and Propecia.

Thanks guys/gals! I'll reply in more depth when I'm not on my phone. To the person who suggested swimming- the only way I could do that is if I had a very attentive lifeguard, a person swimming right next to me, or in a life jacket as I have epilepsy and if I were to have a seizure underwater, I'd drown very quickly. So I've been forbidden from swimming or even taking baths by my neurologist. I have approx. 2 seizures a week so it's not at all under control.

Thanks guys/gals! I'll reply in more depth when I'm not on my phone. To the person who suggested swimming- the only way I could do that is if I had a very attentive lifeguard, a person swimming right next to me, or in a life jacket as I have epilepsy and if I were to have a seizure underwater, I'd drown very quickly. So I've been forbidden from swimming or even taking baths by my neurologist. I have approx. 2 seizures a week so it's not at all under control.

sorry for missing that ..I quoted you even and still missed it sorry.

However you need to do something. Right now time(age) is own your side s you can get away from it without any issues. But eventually at 40+ it will start catching up with you, It really will, promise. MPB may be more embarrassing , but weight is far more serious heath wise

Yeah, I know. I'm hoping to "kick off" my "new future" (hopefully in grad school - *cross fingers*) by getting this hair loss thing fixed or at least slowed (I took a look at the back of my head yesterday and nearly had a heart attack - the top/back of my head is nearly completely hairless! I didn't realize that!!). I got my rogaine 5 in the mail a couple days ago from that pharmacy and started using it at once. I googled a little bit about the cat thing and it looks like it was blown way out of proportion from what it really is. So I'm not worried anymore.

I'm really really really working on the weight thing; I just got a bodymedia armband from ebay that tracks my sleep, steps, exercise (easy/mod/hard) and time doing it and cals burned and if I want I can use their food guide too but I linked it to my "myfitnesspal" app (which is awesome that you can do that btw because MFP has 2million+ foods in it) and it'll keep track of everything for you. So I'm doing that for now. I'm thinking of trying to eeeease back into yoga; my mom mentioned that a local hospital used to do yoga for beginners that was all about stretching to the point that you can get NEAR the pose, rather than stretching to fit yourself INTO the pose. Which has always been a problem for me because I'm like, a robot without oil in terms of flexibility and I've always avoided yoga for that reason. But just with the food thing I've already lost 25 lbs so we're gettin' there!

I spoke to my doctor the other day about going down on testosterone, and she agreed that it would probably lessen / even reverse some of the hair loss I've had. I'm seriously considering going off it completely. She hinted that if I were to get my period back and have *severe cramping* *hinthint* that she knew a couple of surgeons who had worked with transmen and knew all the right billing codes to get me a hysto (just the uterus removed, not the ovaries for my bones' sake) and I might not need any extra hormones at all!

And I just ordered some Finasteride on inhousepharmacy (5mg tablets; I'll break them into quarters), I mean, what's the worse it could do? Make my prostate fluctuate? (lol- don't have one! ) I don't have any breast tissue to grow making gyno not possible, so I'm not too worried. And I'm asexual so any sexual side effects won't even be noticed. If anything *too* weird happens, I can always just stop right?

Hey Good Luck squared.

You are one of the people that makes it worth while coming to the forum.

It inspires us to read your stories and share your hope. Let us know how it goes.