+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thanks for the tips guys!

Nativer- I know no offense was intended but usually transmen don't react well to having the suggestion that they "go back" to being a "girl" when they weren't really one in the first place and that having estrogen is a kind of slow torture for us (really, how would you like to grow boobs and have everyone assume YOU were a girl when you know you're not?) Yeah a lot of people have had bad experiences with lower surgery (and a lot have had good ones!) but I'm not willing to experience that kind of scarring (the most common one is they take all the skin from around your left arm starting at the wrist going halfway up your arm for the penile graft - imagine how THAT would look once it healed! Once again, not hating on the transmen who decide to go that route, just not for me. Plus the price tag. I'm waiting for something better to come out of the research being done into it - I mean, transwomen can have such good lower surgery that it's impossible to tell they ever HAD a penis (other than the lack of ovaries and such). *jealous* Mind, it's MUCH harder for them to "pass" once going on hormones or even before because testosterone is much harder to reverse. And nativer - I know 150 at 5'9 is a good weight: That's my GOAL weight. I'm currently 223, so I have a very round, fat face that would just look really bad with a shaved head in my opinion. There are some guys who can pull it off but I'm not one of them.

I think you're right, Tracy C, I will talk to my dr about lowering my dosage. I don't want to lower it so low that I get my period back *shudder* but enough to slow the rate of hair loss. I never even considered that I might have excess testosterone. THough I'm supposed to get tested for that yearly, I often don't bother (blood tests are expensive!).

mpb47 I've never even heard of those drugs before I came to this forum so I will definitely ask and see. And I will try an online pharmacy if she says no because I'll be damned if I'm going to be bald by 26 (trust me, it would NOT be a good look for me).

Keep us updated on your situation

I am certain others can learn from your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ssquared2 View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys!

Nativer- I know no offense was intended but usually transmen don't react well to having the suggestion that they "go back" to being a "girl" when they weren't really one in the first place and that having estrogen is a kind of slow torture for us (really, how would you like to grow boobs and have everyone assume YOU were a girl when you know you're not?) Yeah a lot of people have had bad experiences with lower surgery (and a lot have had good ones!) but I'm not willing to experience that kind of scarring (the most common one is they take all the skin from around your left arm starting at the wrist going halfway up your arm for the penile graft - imagine how THAT would look once it healed! Once again, not hating on the transmen who decide to go that route, just not for me. Plus the price tag. I'm waiting for something better to come out of the research being done into it - I mean, transwomen can have such good lower surgery that it's impossible to tell they ever HAD a penis (other than the lack of ovaries and such). *jealous* Mind, it's MUCH harder for them to "pass" once going on hormones or even before because testosterone is much harder to reverse. And nativer - I know 150 at 5'9 is a good weight: That's my GOAL weight. I'm currently 223, so I have a very round, fat face that would just look really bad with a shaved head in my opinion. There are some guys who can pull it off but I'm not one of them.

I think you're right, Tracy C, I will talk to my dr about lowering my dosage. I don't want to lower it so low that I get my period back *shudder* but enough to slow the rate of hair loss. I never even considered that I might have excess testosterone. THough I'm supposed to get tested for that yearly, I often don't bother (blood tests are expensive!).

mpb47 I've never even heard of those drugs before I came to this forum so I will definitely ask and see. And I will try an online pharmacy if she says no because I'll be damned if I'm going to be bald by 26 (trust me, it would NOT be a good look for me).

I can't necessarily relate but of course in terms of the baldness issue, we all can. First thing I advise, lose that weight! Eat healthy and do a lot of running. I hate running with a passion, but one of my goals is to be a fighter, and having good cardio is a big thing to me. I suck it up and go at it. Once you start cutting the weight down, your face will frame out better, and it'll make you look better especially when you decide to shave your head. I cut from 180 to 155, and it was so worth it. You may not always feel good about your hair, but feeling good about your body is a big step and adds some confidence.

Second, to actually go as far as shaving your head is a big step. I was always that guy with the long hair and different hairstyles, and once my hairloss started getting bad enough that I couldn't really do anything it was very depressing. I wouldn't fathom the thought of shaving my head, but now I'd rather do that then struggle with it even more.

First picture was from 2010 where I was ignorant and thought my hair was fine, it wasn't until the end of 2011 and into 2012 it was more extreme. The second picture was taken in 2012 in which I had a lot of hair loss in my temples. Thank goodness I had one of the best hair stylist and she covered it so well that it was convincing, except when the weather sucked and was windy. The last pic is the result of me shaving my head fully, obviously!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	17367_417315080286_1796157_n.jpg

Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	19285   Click image for larger version

Name:	621006_10152105637050287_1127911114_o.jpg

Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	19286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130209_183240.jpg

Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	19287  

Your becoming a man, your doctor is going to give jack and shit about your hair.

If your doc even humors you on the subject, he/she will just tell you to make a choice man with no hair, or women with hair.

-fin

It may not even be MPB that you're experiencing, some females lose their hair too.
    Though it's like that it's the testosterone that's having the main effect (as it does in women too).

Do you have the norwood or the ludwig pattern of loss?

Nativer- I'm not BECOMING a man, I AM a man. testosterone and surgery were just cosmetic in forms of comfort for me (binding your chest is highly uncomfortable and looking like a 12-year-old boy when you're 20 is kinda weird).

And since I hold my dr in high esteem, I think she will give a shit about my hair. She knows I have very bad self esteem, and I think she will understand that early hair loss does a lot to a person's self esteem. And I told you before, even if I stopped T my hair wouldn't grow back, my voice wouldn't go up to a soprano, I wouldn't lose my beard or my body hair, my boobs wouldn't grow back - it's impossible to go "back" to being a "girl" once you've transitioned as far as I have.

itsmyhairs: I think I kinda fall between them because I'm so early in the loss stage on the top of my head. I definitely have the receding hairline in the upper left and upper right parts of my head, and moderate thinning on the very top (I have a kind of combover at the moment though my hair is only about 2" long and doesn't seem to want to grow any longer on top) but it doesn't exactly look like your average combover unless you're looking straight down on the top of my head. I can tell, because I'm looking for it. But most people can't. Do you think Rogaine can help with this type of loss? That would avoid needing a prescription though it's soooo expensive.

I think I'll have to post pictures to get my point across. I need to wait till I see my mom again though because I don't have a camera except on my phone and it's pretty shitty (iphone 4) and she does have one.

Becoming a man is a process in itself. Its more then having a DICK, or looking like a guy. Becoming a man is shedding boy qualities for man qualities.

Last I have to say on your subject, and good luck with you sir

Quote Originally Posted by ssquared2 View Post
    I never even considered that I might have excess testosterone. THough I'm supposed to get tested for that yearly, I often don't bother (blood tests are expensive!).
    Sometimes the best test is how your body is responding. If you are loosing scalp hair, your DHT levels are high enough to trigger Male Patterned Baldness. Your body is turning the excess testosterone that your body cannot use into DHT. You could take Finasteride to block this conversion of testosterone into DHT - but it makes more sense to adjust your dose of testosterone.

It is important for you to know that excess unused testosterone that does not get converted into DHT gets converted into estrogen through aromatase. So again, it makes more sense to adjust your dose of testosterone than to take Finasteride and aromatase inhibitors.

Drybone: The closest one to me is 5A except picture that with more hair on top. It's just at the "thinning" point and I don't have any actual "bald" spots except two on the back of my head from trichtillomania (I probably butchered the spelling of that) which is a kind of OCD that keeps me pulling at my hair at specific places (in my case where I have two old scars) when I'm anxious. But those are coin sized. Otherwise I guess I could be a 2 hairline-wise.

And thanks, Tracy C!

Oh and lifehappens- I would looooove to be able to run and let the pounds slide off but I can't. I have Lupus and RA so my joints aren't in such hot shape. I already walk with two forearm crutches; I can't picture myself running. I can't swim either because I have epilepsy and if I were to have a seizure in the water I'd drown right away. I can't even take baths. >_<