+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Finasteride: Crushing pills, "parachuting" low dose, pill coatings

So, this may come off as asinine or naive, but I'm willing to open myself up to criticism here.

Is it feasible to crush a 5 mg pill of finasteride and, using a high-sensitivity electronic scale, portion the pill into very low doses (0.25 mg, let's say), and "parachute" them? For those unaware, parachuting is the act of taking a drug in powder form, wrapping it in a small amount of toilet paper, and consuming like a normal pill (typically chased with water).

I know that the portioning aspect is viable. What I'm concerned about is if crushing the pills, which is effectively mechanical digestion, causes them to absorb too early or too easily into the blood stream (if that's even a prospective concern). Pills typically have coating, and I'm not sure if the coating is purely to keep from topical absorption or to aid in the delay of the digestion.

I know it's coming off as shady using terms like "parachuting", because it is typically associated with illegal, controlled substance consumption. But, please use integrity with any responses and keep nauseating politically correct responses at bay (unless they are based on concrete scientific evidence, of course.) My main interest is to explore options for micro-dose consumption, and I can't imagine it very easy to cut a 5mg pill smaller than quarters.

Regards and thanks for consideration.

Inactive

May I ask why you are interested in microdosing in the first place? I've seen countless people recommend this but never explain why. Since the DHT inhibition isn't incredibly different between 0.25 and 1 mg, there's no point in cutting pills other than to save money? I doubt 50% vs 70% DHT inhibition would make a difference in you getting sides. It's just a crap shoot imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Aames View Post
    May I ask why you are interested in microdosing in the first place? I've seen countless people recommend this but never explain why. Since the DHT inhibition isn't incredibly different between 0.25 and 1 mg, there's no point in cutting pills other than to save money? I doubt 50% vs 70% DHT inhibition would make a difference in you getting sides. It's just a crap shoot imo.
    I've just seen so many contradicting testimonies and science-based evidences that I'm really confused on the efficacy/sides probabilities with respect to biological gradient.

Due to this, I'm thinking I would prefer to error on the side of caution. I realize I'm being hyper-analytic with this, but I value my health and choose to be as educated as possible when self-medicating.

If you have any literature on hand to link, I'd be not only interested, but grateful.

Inactive

Google "finasteride dht inhibition by dose" and look for the topic on hrn (can't link as it's censored). The topic is called "Finasteride: dosage, frequency & conception."
    Check out that link, it has a few graphs that show the DHT inhibition by dosage. Essentially, 0.2 mg inhibits almost as much as even the 5 mg dose does. I imagine it's always a good idea to taper onto medications but I just don't see how doing so would minimize potential sides. I guess it really doesn't matter then in terms of hair retention either, given the fact that small doses are still effective. If you want to taper on, I would just quarter the damn things and be done with it. No need to crush them and parachute.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    So, this may come off as asinine or naive, but I'm willing to open myself up to criticism here.

Is it feasible to crush a 5 mg pill of finasteride and, using a high-sensitivity electronic scale, portion the pill into very low doses (0.25 mg, let's say), and "parachute" them? For those unaware, parachuting is the act of taking a drug in powder form, wrapping it in a small amount of toilet paper, and consuming like a normal pill (typically chased with water).

I know that the portioning aspect is viable. What I'm concerned about is if crushing the pills, which is effectively mechanical digestion, causes them to absorb too early or too easily into the blood stream (if that's even a prospective concern). Pills typically have coating, and I'm not sure if the coating is purely to keep from topical absorption or to aid in the delay of the digestion.

I know it's coming off as shady using terms like "parachuting", because it is typically associated with illegal, controlled substance consumption. But, please use integrity with any responses and keep nauseating politically correct responses at bay (unless they are based on concrete scientific evidence, of course.) My main interest is to explore options for micro-dose consumption, and I can't imagine it very easy to cut a 5mg pill smaller than quarters.

Regards and thanks for consideration.

i have read a lot of reports that say .25 is as effective as 1mg with the advantage of fewer side effects, however i honestly dont know how concrete these reports are. im currently cutting proscar in 5s and thats tricky enough let alone 8s or what ever man! but timescale wise, i would say give yourself the small doseage for a month or two and if nothing, gradually increase because whether people say .25 or not, i STILL would rather taking the recommended dose of 1mg.

I'm assuming your reasoning here is simply to save money as you could easily buy 1mg propecia tablets and cut them into quarters with a razor (what i did when tapering on)
    I don't see anything wrong with your idea other than it seems like a lot of work to save 15 bucks a month

Quote Originally Posted by Ktownmatti View Post
    I'm assuming your reasoning here is simply to save money as you could easily buy 1mg propecia tablets and cut them into quarters with a razor (what i did when tapering on)
    I don't see anything wrong with your idea other than it seems like a lot of work to save 15 bucks a month
    You're exactly right. And, I've actually recently regretted ordering 5 mg instead of 1 mg for that reason. It might be reasonable for me to buy 1 mg to quarter, and save to later utilize the 5 mg.

I feel your idea is sound. From everything I have read, I would not think crushing up the pill somehow dilutes or makes the medication ineffective.

With the sides.. again from the forums i have visited. You either get the sides or you do not. If you do not, Joy!

If you get them, then no amount of reduction in the medication makes them go away. You also can not "power on" through the sides. If you get sides on Finn, stop put it away.

OR you can try something that has not been done. Like 1mg a week, or 1mg every two weeks. Or .25 a week or .25 every two weeks. I have yet to read anyone that experienced sides trying that.

Quote Originally Posted by nativer View Post
    I feel your idea is sound. From everything I have read, I would not think crushing up the pill somehow dilutes or makes the medication ineffective.

With the sides.. again from the forums i have visited. You either get the sides or you do not. If you do not, Joy!

If you get them, then no amount of reduction in the medication makes them go away. You also can not "power on" through the sides. If you get sides on Finn, stop put it away.

OR you can try something that has not been done. Like 1mg a week, or 1mg every two weeks. Or .25 a week or .25 every two weeks. I have yet to read anyone that experienced sides trying that.
    I'm definitely starting with intermittent doses. My hair quality is good enough that I have time to taper on extremely slow. Further, I value my libido and boners.

Quote Originally Posted by nativer View Post

no crushing tablets does not effect the potency of the drug