+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by montreal6130 View Post
    Hi Assemblage23,

Don't have the answer to your specific question. However, I will add that I've been off propecia for almost 6 months now and been using Rogaine for about 1 1/2 months. It's definitely helped me psychologically to be applying the Rogaine twice a day as i pretty much assumed I'd go bald once off propecia. I will admit that I feel like the Rogaine is doing something but that may simply be me in a wishful thinking state.

About coming off propecia. I have lost a lot of hair and my quality of hair really dropped but it's not as terrible as I first assumed. During month 5 I will say that the shed has really slowed down a lot but there may be another coming, who knows.

I'd recommend doing the Rogaine right away and then decide for yourself if you want to continue. The worse that can happen while on Rogaine is a continuation of what is going to happen naturally anyway.

Thanks.

Thanks for the complete reply it's been two weeks since I have stopped I can still get back on it. When did you recover your sex drive? Mine increased at day 11. But I havent recovered completly yet.

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    Finasteride is only effective for the short term anyway - it might buy you an extra 3 - 5 years at best, that's **** all use to someone who's thinning at 21.
    Well I have been on it for 15 years and it is still working. Whether it works or not depends on how aggressive your mpb is. I know this firsthand as I have had fast (aggressive) spurts of mpb, but most of the time it has been gradual.

When it was fast, minox did basically nothing and only propecia could stop it. But now that it has slowed down, Minox alone is working for me. And by working I mean it slows it down-not completly stop it. But it is enough to buy me a lot of time.

What ever drug you use for mpb,you will need it for life as like others just said, mpb never truly stops, though I have had mine take breaks.

From what I have read, I will probably continue to get those fast spurts. If/when that happens I will jump back on propecia to try and ride it out.

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    Finasteride is only effective for the short term anyway - it might buy you an extra 3 - 5 years at best.
    That is garbage information you found on the internet. There are many guys in this forum who have been taking Finasteride for over 15 years and it is still working for them.

I think only age comes as a factor as your body slowly wins the battle. But i dont see why propecia/proscar can't be doing its job for the rest of your life as much as it can. I dont think your body builds a tolerane like a narcotic drug lol

Well, I didn't have any sides that I was aware of. I got off just because I was concerned about the potential-risk (even though there is no clinical proof of it) of long-term sides.

However, when I got off it I realized that I was having sides but they were not very noticeable till I got off. Basically, by around week 3 my morning erections and libido roared back and truthfully it felt amazing. That feeling is the only thing that has kept me off propecia because it just felt so great and don't ever want to lose that again.

Psychologically, the first 4/5 months off were really, really hard for me. I had no idea what would happen to my hair and I had a 'full' head of hair which has become part of my look (i.e. mid-length curly). I shed a lot right as of week 4 and the quality dropped dramatically. However, I feel like it is slowing. And I also got on a regimen that has helped me feel like I'm doing all I can. It includes;

Nioxin shampoo & conditioner (not to fight MPB but just to improve look of hair)
    Nizoral (1/week)
    Vitamins (Biotin, Vitamin D, Green Tea Extract)
    Rogaine (twice daily)

Obviously, there are only 4 things that can be done to deal with MPB (Hair transplant, propecia, rogaine, nothing) but I'm trying to achieve 3 things by the regime outlined above.

(1) support myself psychologically as I lose the hair save by propecia
    (2) mild attempt to slow MPB (Rogaine)
    (3) Improve the quality & look of my existing hair (Nioxin, Vitamins, Nizoral)

thanks & best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by montreal6130 View Post
    Well, I didn't have any sides that I was aware of. I got off just because I was concerned about the potential-risk (even though there is no clinical proof of it) of long-term sides.

However, when I got off it I realized that I was having sides but they were not very noticeable till I got off. Basically, by around week 3 my morning erections and libido roared back and truthfully it felt amazing. That feeling is the only thing that has kept me off propecia because it just felt so great and don't ever want to lose that again.

Psychologically, the first 4/5 months off were really, really hard for me. I had no idea what would happen to my hair and I had a 'full' head of hair which has become part of my look (i.e. mid-length curly). I shed a lot right as of week 4 and the quality dropped dramatically. However, I feel like it is slowing. And I also got on a regimen that has helped me feel like I'm doing all I can. It includes;

Nioxin shampoo & conditioner (not to fight MPB but just to improve look of hair)
    Nizoral (1/week)
    Vitamins (Biotin, Vitamin D, Green Tea Extract)
    Rogaine (twice daily)

Obviously, there are only 4 things that can be done to deal with MPB (Hair transplant, propecia, rogaine, nothing) but I'm trying to achieve 3 things by the regime outlined above.

(1) support myself psychologically as I lose the hair save by propecia
    (2) mild attempt to slow MPB (Rogaine)
    (3) Improve the quality & look of my existing hair (Nioxin, Vitamins, Nizoral)

thanks & best of luck.
    Thank your for the very insightful post, I feel like I'm losing my mind these days I just want to know what having my full libido back feels like and I'll make a real decision. I almost felt like popping a propecia pill this afternoon I have this feeling everytime I fee good about the way I currently look.

best of luck.

At around week 4 I did try to go back on it but I got real sides after 4 days (testicular pain & brain fog) but I think that is normal as I was creating an hormonal seesaw in my body. 6 months later (today) I also have high cortisol found in a recent blood test. No way of knowing if that is a result of propecia for sure but most likely.

I'm actually still a fan of the medication as it worked amazing just as I got older my hair has become less important to me than my overall health. The best situation I believe is always to not be taking any medication however if hair loss is psychologically crippling than the risk I believe is quite low with fin or at least acceptable.

best of luck.

Describe how your libido came back exactly and how it felt please, I need to be able to tell what's inside my head from what's real. I have no gyno and no ejaculation problems it's just that I rarely get turned on I really have to actively think about the most twisted stuff but a naked girl in front of me is nothing special. And I am pretty sure I have lost some sensitivity. Thank you for the kind words.

What was it like, did you feel horny for no reason all of a sudden?

I hope it will really be worth it I just cant accept baldness I would remove myself from social events and jobs than involve meeting new people and being the center of the attention. It hurts that much.

No, u thinking about the 'twisted' stuff is just your craziness and not the medication. . I was recently browsing the propeciahelp forum and a guy was asking whether other people felt they were becoming 'gay' as a result of propecia (no joke but really funny). I almost went back on the medication as a result of that (i.e. those guys r crazy).

sounds like u r freaking out a bit. By increased libido I just felt 'stronger'...almost like I had more energy, more strength. It was not like my d-ck was suddenly flying out of my pants. I felt healthier...the best word is more virile.

btw, of course u need to think of twisted stuff because right now u r worried so how can u naturally get it up if u r worried...so u bring in the twisted stuff. It's like hooking with someone who deep down u really don't like...eventually u start thinking of other women or else it'd be too hard to keep it up.

my unsolicited feedback, get off the Internet, call a buddy and go do something u like...I promise without noticing something will trigger the fact that your libido is perfect.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    This is because hereditary hair loss progresses for the rest of ones life. It's a really simple reality that a lot of people have great difficulty understanding.

The problem with that is you do not know what you are talking about and you do not know what you are doing. You are simply parroting garbage you find on the internet.
    Please tell me what is incorrect in my post. We agree on the point that minox is not very useful without DHT inhibition (at least in the long term). Why would a DHT inhibitor not make it more effective? I don't expect an answer. Instead of posting a study or using some rational thinking, you will just attack me for recommending topical spiro as a treatment. It has been around for years and lots of people use it with NO SIDES!!!! The tiny amount you are rubbing on your scalp is not nearly enough to turn you into a woman or any sort of nonsense like that. I highly recommend you educate yourself before you continue to attack me.