+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Starting dutasteride

Switching from finasteride tomorrow, after years of good results. Already have the capsules. I am nervous but science is on my side.
    Thank you Big Pharma. You are unethical and greedy for money, but less greedy than I am for hair.

Wish me luck. I will update the forum like I did with fin and keto shampoo.

Good luck to you !!!

I just started finasteride. Why did u switch? What is this dutasteride?

Best luck, man.

Update
    First dose was 12 hours ago. Hair is now a fully dense Norwood 1, however, penis has fallen off.
    Overall assessment: worth it.

but seriously, thank you guys for your well wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    Good luck to you !!!

I just started finasteride. Why did u switch? What is this dutasteride?
    Dutasteride is the active ingredient in Avodart. It blocks more 5-alpha reductase than finasteride, and 5-ar is the enzyme that forms DHT by combining with testosterone (DHT is the hormone that causes follicles to miniaturize). It is better for maintenance than regrowth (like fin) but I am hoping for the best.
    I switched basically because I am trying to build on my results from meds. I want to avoid any kind of surgery as long as possible. I am NW2 with slight diffuse loss....my hair looks quite good when styled (people do not know I have MPB and I want it to stay that way), and I have meds to thank for that because I was rapidly thinning 4-5 years ago. My honest opinion, you are on the right track by starting fin.

Thanks .

When can I expect the shedding to start. Its been almost 2 weeks. Or is the shedding gradual like the MPB was so I dont necessarily notice it in the shower but will notice it in the mirror ?

Inactive

Hi, are you using actual avodart, dutas, dutagen, or some other generic? I'm toying with the idea of ordering some dutas and taking it with fin until I run out of fin.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    Thanks .

When can I expect the shedding to start. Its been almost 2 weeks. Or is the shedding gradual like the MPB was so I dont necessarily notice it in the shower but will notice it in the mirror ?
    Everyone is different man. Some people do not notice a shed, some others say they shed badly for a year or more before things improve. If you are going to have a shed I would think it would start within the first 5 months or so but I am not a doctor.
    I feel like I went through several "cyclical" sheds while on finasteride, but they were never too bad. I don't worry about the hair in my shower as long as the hair on my head looks ok

Quote Originally Posted by Aames View Post
    Hi, are you using actual avodart, dutas, dutagen, or some other generic? I'm toying with the idea of ordering some dutas and taking it with fin until I run out of fin.
    I use actual Avodart from a licensed pharmacy, about 400 dollars for 3 months supply. I understand the cost concerns but I am not willing to gamble with my hair in any way. If 130-140 dollars a month is the difference between NW2 and NW4+, it is worth it to me.
    I am also taking it with fin for the first few months. I have no idea if this is wise or unwise and do not necessarliy recommend this to anybody else. I choose to do this in hopes of bridging the transition period between the drugs, so that (with luck) I can avoid serious shedding. Again I have no idea if this will work or what the risks are (I really am not worried about my health but others might not want to risk it). I will completely taper off fin within 6 months or less I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    I use actual Avodart from a licensed pharmacy, about 400 dollars for 3 months supply. I understand the cost concerns but I am not willing to gamble with my hair in any way. If 130-140 dollars a month is the difference between NW2 and NW4+, it is worth it to me.
    I am also taking it with fin for the first few months. I have no idea if this is wise or unwise and do not necessarliy recommend this to anybody else. I choose to do this in hopes of bridging the transition period between the drugs, so that (with luck) I can avoid serious shedding. Again I have no idea if this will work or what the risks are (I really am not worried about my health but others might not want to risk it). I will completely taper off fin within 6 months or less I think.
    Well, it sounds like you are treading into parts relatively unknown. I hope you maintain your health, and wish you all the luck in this endeavor. Your experience will undoubtedly be valuable for everyone.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    So you actually convinced a doctor to write you a script? I've heard a lot of people have problems with that. I'd love to use actual Avodart but online pharmacies are charging like 3.50 usd per pill which is just insane. Also, I have a theory that the brand name stuff is more likely to be faked. Who is going to go through the trouble of faking generics when they cost pennies to manufacture? It would be like selling a fake Timex watch.