+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    7 months finasteride
    1.5 months minox 5% 1-2 times daily

I dropped the dut for now. Using minox twice a day mostly, but occasionally once a day. Missed a few weekend applications.

Shedding is way down. Was previously losing tons of miniaturized hairs. Lots of blonde hairs popping up on hairline.

Overall density is below baseline slightly - especially thin on the cowlick. Getting hard to style hair, and mostly rocking the boring, extra short, soon-to-be NW3 (if not already) hair cut.
    See stories like this is what scares me.

You started an anti hairloss med and are below baseline?

How do you know the meds accelerated your hairloss via shedding?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahyeahyeah View Post
    See stories like this is what scares me.
    You started an anti hairloss med and are below baseline?
    I think so, yes. Treatment doesn't necessarily work for ever, and I need to invest more time anyways.

How do you know the meds accelerated your hairloss via shedding?
    I don't know whether or not I've just accelerated my hair loss through shedding and potential non-results. Why the hell would I care if I go bald in 1 year versus 2 years? I'm on a long-term treatment; commitment is required.

Infinitely worse than non-results would be not attempting to treat it and spending eternity wondering if I could have preserved my hair but pu55y'd out from trying treatment.

Best case scenario: hair bounces back and I get to stop visiting this website.

Worst case scenario: go bald, get off treament, hit the gym harder, dress nicer, and date older women.

I think so, yes. Treatment doesn't necessarily work for ever, and I need to invest more time anyways.

I don't know whether or not I've just accelerated my hair loss through shedding and potential non-results. Why the hell would I care if I go bald in 1 year versus 2 years? I'm on a long-term treatment; commitment is required.

Infinitely worse than non-results would be not attempting to treat it and spending eternity wondering if I could have preserved my hair but *****'d out.
    There is a poster called Kirby on here.

He was a solid NW2 before treatment, once he started it, like you, he had a never ending shed which actually caused him to drop below baseline. He has never recovered and mentally he went a bit psychotic. Now he probably wonders what would have happened if he never took fin.

The current treatments may work, may not work. But the fact that they can be inconsistant,means they are garbage.

People who say they dont work forever, in some cases I guess it does work for a long time - Spex is an example of it.

He has never recovered and mentally he went a bit psychotic.
    Sounds like a personal problem. I doubt he was going to remain NW2 barring finasteride.

. Now he probably wonders what would have happened if he never took fin.
    I'm not a fan of what-ifs. Given the literature and medical community's consensus, I made the best decision for my situation and am willing to see it through.

The current treatments may work, may not work. But the fact that they can be inconsistant,means they are garbage.
    Agreed. But unfortunately I don't have a time machine for the future, so I'll have to endure the present.

Sounds like a personal problem. I doubt he was going to remain NW2 barring finasteride.

I'm not a fan of what-ifs. Given the literature and medical community's consensus, I made the best decision for my situation and am willing to see it through.

Agreed. But unfortunately I don't have a time machine for the future, so I'll have to endure the present.

Probably not but the point is fin may have balded him further prematurely. Afterall fin messes with one's hormone levels.

It's just sad that hairloss sufferers have very few good options

Every treatment is inconsistent. The supposed cures that everybody is waiting for will also be inconsistent. There will not be a treatment that will work for everybody. And here is another news flash: Some people will not be able to tolerate the new treatments either.

Shedding is way down. Was previously losing tons of miniaturized hairs. Lots of blonde hairs popping up on hairline.
    Hopefully this means that you have turned the corner and will start to see some regrowth/improvement.

Kirby's story was very sad but Fin will not make anyone lose hair they would not have lost w/o it

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Kirby's story was very sad but Fin will not make anyone lose hair they would not have lost w/o it
    “When the effects of androgens in the body are lessened, e.g. through lowering DHT or by systemic hormone receptor blockade, the body seeks equilibrium through a process called upregulation. This can take the form of increased hormone production and/or increased tissue sensitivity to the remaining hormones. The reason side effects usually gradually disappear with finasteride is probably due to such upregulation. In a small percentage of individuals, it may be that this process overshoots the mark, resulting in significant hyperandrogenicity. This is marked by such signs as greatly increased facial oil, increased pimples, and greatly elevated libido. It’s possible that in certain cases such hyperandrogenicity overcomes the hair-protective effect of, say, finasteride, though this does not appear to be the case for the vast majority of people.”

There is a poster called Kirby on here.

He was a solid NW2 before treatment, once he started it, like you, he had a never ending shed which actually caused him to drop below baseline. He has never recovered and mentally he went a bit psychotic. Now he probably wonders what would have happened if he never took fin.

People who say they dont work forever, in some cases I guess it does work for a long time - Spex is an example of it.
    I think this is a great point, something which I've been saying for years but only now are more people starting to clock on.

It also makes me wonder whether the efficacy statements made by Merck (e.g. 9 out of 10 men respond well) are true or lies, given the history of bullshit coming from this company however I would place my bets on the latter.

But hey, maybe it's not lies, they probably just cherry-picked from their best studies, sugared up the stats a bit and voila! An extra few hundred million added to the balance sheet.