+ Reply to Thread

Default 3D Printed Embryonic Stem Cells

http://www.hw.ac.uk/news-events/news...tion-11075.htm

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/05/s...ic-stem-cells/

This news makes me optimistic but pissed off at the same time. Why? They've cured cancer, they've essentially halted AIDS, they've helped people recover their vision and improve it, they've been able to reconstruct skin.... theyve even CLONED sheep....

But they STILL can't create a single f*cking hair follicle?

[–]urdude 303 points 9 hours ago

The title should say, "Scientists 3D Prints with Human Embryonic Stem Cells."

really we've cured cancer? and stopped AIDS? I must have missed the memo. Guess I can quite my job and drop out of school then.

I would just say relax in the next 20 years MPB will be history. Its going to happen eventually, but I actually think growing organs both for transplants and for pharma research will lead to even bigger more important things in the long term. Sadly we all only live so long and it might be a long time before it all actually becomes common. Heck it will take congress 30 years to figure out to regulate it all and the big insurance companies to get money involved in regulations

Quote Originally Posted by greatjob! View Post
    really we've cured cancer? and stopped AIDS? I must have missed the memo. Guess I can quite my job and drop out of school then.

Lance Armstrong and Magic Johnson. Both fantastic examples of cancer and aids being beaten and halted.

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    Lance Armstrong and Magic Johnson. Both fantastic examples of cancer and aids being beaten and halted.
    Neither of those are examples of cancer or aids being beaten. Both are cases of early detection. Magic Johnson is a case of a long-term non-progressor, people who are symptom free for 10 years or more after being diagnosed with HIV. He is not cured and his HIV is not halted, he is in a prolonged period of clinical latency. Ultimately he will die from the disease if a cure is not discovered. And Lance Armstrong is a case of catching cancer while it is still operable, nothing miraculous there, cancer is no where near being cured.

But nonetheless 3D printing is the shit, so thanks for sharing the links, I just think your cancer is cured and AIDS is halted why can't we have hair was a bit over dramatic. Now excuse me while I go print out a girlfriend...

You cant underestimate how important being able to grow organs or tissues will be for researchers to study. It might speed up areas of research many times over I mean its not easy to test that stuff now and animal results are a lot less ideal then actual human parts.
    Heck robotics would benefit a ton from organs and organic parts for robots to make them lighter and more agile maybe leading to a real practical robot. Many trickle down effects from some of this.

Hey I'm not an engineer or anything so thought I'd ask this question:

"When they say you can print something in 3D, what are these objects made of? For example, with these cells they printed are they alive with a nucleus and DNA?"

This 3D printing is mind boggling