Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hellouser
    • May 2012

3D Printed Embryonic Stem Cells

3D printers already have a firm footing the commercial market, with more than 20 models available for well-heeled DIYers, and the technology's appeal isn't lost on the scientific community. A team at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland has developed a method for 3D-printing clusters of human embryonic stem cells in a variety of sizes. Researchers have successfully printed 3D cells before, but this is the first time that embryonic cell cultures, which are especially delicate, have been built in three dimensions. Human embryonic stem cells can replicate almost any type of tissue in the human body -- and the scientists at Heriot-Watt believe that lab-made versions could one day be used to make organ transplants, thereby rendering donors unnecessary. In the nearer future, 3D-printed stem cells could be used to make human tissue models for drug testing; effectively eliminating the need for animal testing. Makes that Burritob0t look a little less ambitious, doesn't it?

This news makes me optimistic but pissed off at the same time. Why? They've cured cancer, they've essentially halted AIDS, they've helped people recover their vision and improve it, they've been able to reconstruct skin.... theyve even CLONED sheep....

But they STILL can't create a single f*cking hair follicle?
  • clandestine
    • Aug 2011

[–]urdude 303 points 9 hours ago

The title should say, "Scientists 3D Prints with Human Embryonic Stem Cells."

Comment

• greatjob!
      • Aug 2011

really we've cured cancer? and stopped AIDS? I must have missed the memo. Guess I can quite my job and drop out of school then.

Comment

• burtandernie
        • Nov 2012

I would just say relax in the next 20 years MPB will be history. Its going to happen eventually, but I actually think growing organs both for transplants and for pharma research will lead to even bigger more important things in the long term. Sadly we all only live so long and it might be a long time before it all actually becomes common. Heck it will take congress 30 years to figure out to regulate it all and the big insurance companies to get money involved in regulations

Comment

• hellouser
          • May 2012

Originally posted by greatjob!
          really we've cured cancer? and stopped AIDS? I must have missed the memo. Guess I can quite my job and drop out of school then.

Lance Armstrong and Magic Johnson. Both fantastic examples of cancer and aids being beaten and halted.

Comment

• greatjob!
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by hellouser
            Lance Armstrong and Magic Johnson. Both fantastic examples of cancer and aids being beaten and halted.
            Neither of those are examples of cancer or aids being beaten. Both are cases of early detection. Magic Johnson is a case of a long-term non-progressor, people who are symptom free for 10 years or more after being diagnosed with HIV. He is not cured and his HIV is not halted, he is in a prolonged period of clinical latency. Ultimately he will die from the disease if a cure is not discovered. And Lance Armstrong is a case of catching cancer while it is still operable, nothing miraculous there, cancer is no where near being cured.

But nonetheless 3D printing is the shit, so thanks for sharing the links, I just think your cancer is cured and AIDS is halted why can't we have hair was a bit over dramatic. Now excuse me while I go print out a girlfriend...

Comment

• burtandernie
              • Nov 2012

You cant underestimate how important being able to grow organs or tissues will be for researchers to study. It might speed up areas of research many times over I mean its not easy to test that stuff now and animal results are a lot less ideal then actual human parts.
              Heck robotics would benefit a ton from organs and organic parts for robots to make them lighter and more agile maybe leading to a real practical robot. Many trickle down effects from some of this.

Comment

• Desmond84
                • Oct 2012

Hey I'm not an engineer or anything so thought I'd ask this question:

"When they say you can print something in 3D, what are these objects made of? For example, with these cells they printed are they alive with a nucleus and DNA?"

This 3D printing is mind boggling

Comment

Working...