Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Display the entire text, word for word, of all the studies Lexington submitted to the FDA that lead to clearance. Not just the one you keep referring to, but all of them - and display the text here in this thread. Word for word - don't leave anything out.
    It's not the one I keep referring to, it's the one that Lexington refers to on their website as being the one used for FDA clearance. They don't list others.

It's the only one that is peer reviewed and published in a real research journal: you can find in pubmed--->
    HairMax LaserComb Laser Phototherapy Device in the Treatment of Male Androgenetic Alopecia
    A Randomized, Double-Blind, Sham Device-Controlled, Multicentre Trial
    Matt Leavitt,1 Glenn Charles,2 Eugene Heyman3 and David Michaels4

Clin Drug Invest 2009; 29 (5): 283-292

Anything else is meaningless if it's not peer reviewed since there will be no checks and balances on the numbers the company reports.

You do understand the concept of peer reviewed, right?

You can huff and puff all you want Tracy, until YOU start posting evidence you should shut your mouth and stop recommending a product that you have not yet posted any solid evidence in support of.

The use of low-level light for hair growth: part I.
    Avram MR, Rogers NE.
    Source

Cornell Department of Dermatology, New York, NY, USA. dochair@aol.com
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE:

Low-level laser therapy (LLLT) is a new therapy for the treatment of hair loss. It has received enormous media attention and tremendous marketing budgets from companies that sell the devices, but no independent, peer-reviewed studies have demonstrated its efficacy in this application. Here we investigate the efficacy of LLLT in enhancing hair growth.
    METHODS:

A total of seven patients were exposed to LLLT twice weekly for 20 minutes each time over a period of 3-6 months. Five patients were treated for a total of 3 months and two were treated for 6 months. Videomicroscopic images were taken at baseline, 3 months, and 6 months, and analyzed for changes in vellus hair counts, terminal hair counts, and shaft diameter. Both videomicroscopic and global images underwent blinded review for evidence of subjective improvement. Patients also answered questionnaires assessing hair growth throughout the study. Neither patients nor physicians conducting the study received any financial compensation.
    RESULTS:

The results indicate that on average patients had a decrease in the number of vellus hairs, an increase in the number of terminal hairs, and an increase in shaft diameter. However, paired i-testing indicated that none of these changes was statistically significant. Also, blinded evaluation of global images did not support an improvement in hair density or caliber.
    CONCLUSIONS:

LLLT may be a promising treatment option for patients who do not respond to either finasteride or minoxidil, and who do not want to undergo hair transplantation. This technology appears to work better for some people than for others. Factors predicting who will most benefit are yet to be determined. Larger, longer-term placebo-controlled studies are needed to confirm these findings, and demonstrate statistical significance, or refute them altogether.
    However, paired i-testing indicated that none of these changes was statistically significant. Also, blinded evaluation of global images did not support an improvement in hair density or caliber.

The data table from the study Hairmax references:

Quote Originally Posted by powersam View Post
    The data table from the study Hairmax references:

Yeah, that's the exact table where I got my numbers from. I didn't bother posting the subjects' assessment numbers because they are way too subjective. The less biased investigators' assessment numbers are more objective and clearly show that there was more growth with a sham device, LOL

I've used the laser comb per manufacturer instructions for almost a year now and I will say that it is it not completely useless. It has made my existing hair thicker and darker, giving the appearance of more density. I also believe it does exhibit some stimulating effect on existing hair as my hair seems to grow slightly faster, and it looks overall more healthy. Whether this is enough to actually buy the product is up to you.

I don't think it will do anything to regrow hair and it probably only slightly slows loss but it does help in appearance of existing hair. Those who say it does nothing are wrong, but it doesn't do a whole lot.

To all users, violent threats and harassment of any kind will not be tolerated on this forum. There are reasonable ways to get your points across without name calling and harassing other users. If you can not control this type of behavior I suggest that you participate on another forum.

As stated before, I will be posting an updated set of rules and policies for this message forum. All posts that do not fit within the parameters of these guidelines will no longer be hosted on BTT. Members who ignore these policies will have their accounts put into moderation.