+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any Advice?

Default Any Advice?

Hi,

I'm 22 and have (for the last 5 years or so) been thinning out until now pretty much every mate i've got jokes about it (not funny IMO . My dad was almost completely bald by the same age so i know im not far off, as already i have badly receding temples and crown.

Just had a couple of questions and was hoping someone could help.

1) Is it better to wait until you are completely bald and then have surgery to cover the lot, or to do it in stages 2-3 ops as the baldness gets worse. i.e. front + top then crown area. ( i know it will take 2-3 anyway to get decent coverage)

2) Is there any risk of running out of donor hair as things get worse. (or even if doctors will do FUT on guys my age?).

3) I'm based in the Uk and having done a fair bit of research am looking at Dr. Farjo as one of my possible options. If anyone has had surgery with him or could post any pics it would be appreciated. (or if anyone knows of any alternative doctors that could be worth looking at).

I've decided that this is the route i'm going down now so if anyone has any other advice on things i've not mentioned feel free to let me know as any help will definately be appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

You clearly started thinning out at a very young, have continued to lose hair over the past 5 years, and have a strong family history of Male Pattern Baldness. The first thing you should consider is trying Propecia to try and slow the process. Save as much as possible. As long as you stay conservative with the placement of the hairline, then there is no point in waiting to have the procedure. You would need to understand that you may only have enough donor hair to transplant the front 1/2 to 1/3 depending on the amount of donor and area of potential hair loss. Most people today are being proactive and not waiting for their situation to get worse, instead they are trying to stay one step ahead of the hair loss. Dr. Farjo is an excellent physician and gets really nice results. I am not sure if he has any age requirements for his hair transplant patients. I have heard of some doctors who do. I look at more factors than just age, including patient expectations, family history, etc. It can be hard for a young adult to experience hair loss, and I do not see another time in their life when it would be more important to help them with this problem.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile