+ Reply to Thread

Default Has anybody ever gone totally bald on Finasteride?

I'm just curious, because I've been on Finasteride since I was 20, (8 years ago) and I haven't lost any more hair. But, I was wondering if there have been any cases of people who have been vigilant about their doses and still lost all their hair. I am still at about a Norwood 1... I think

Thanks

Its really all relative I mean when you say lost all their hair do you mean from like NW 1 to NW 7 while on propecia? If propecia does not work for all men and it probably doesnt, then it makes sense that its possible that could happen although very very small chance of that. You would need aggressive history of MPB.
    Eventually when you got old enough its possible. What makes you sure at NW 1 you even had any MPB to begin with? Although given our current treatments I dont blame anyone for trying propecia before MPB kicks in at all.

Theoretically it is possible. Finasteride will cut DHT by ~70%, but that remaining 30% or so will continue to damage the follicles to the point where they may not recover, naturally at a slower rate. Now depending on your sensitivity to DHT and how much you've already lost, you could go completely bald. It depends on what period of time you're talking about too. I'm sure a few people have gone bald, but if you're not already really close to being bald/don't have a very severe case, it would probably take quite a number of years, maybe decades, before you go completely bald. Some men take it for more than a decade and notice little or no further loss.

In your case, I'd say you'll do fine in the long term, especially after no additional loss after 8 years. Male sex hormones peak @ 25 and gradually decline. So you are already past peak testosterone and therefor likely peak DHT. At an NW1, you probably have little or nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Although given our current treatments I dont blame anyone for trying propecia before MPB kicks in at all.
    That's a very good point. I've never really heard much about people pre-emptively starting on Propecia, but we've seen it's outstanding at keeping one's existing hair and quite lackluster for most in terms of regaining what was lost, those with high NW potential in their family tree should seriously consider this while they are young and before it's too late.

To answer the exact question of the OP, I don't think I've ever heard a case on the forum of someone claiming to have progressing seriously from say a NW 1, 2, or 3 into a NW 6, or 7 while remaining on the drug the whole time. It's theoretically possible but, as another said, if you have stayed at a NW from age 20 to 28 while on the drug, I high doubt you would be one of the possible exceptions. I went on Propecia at 26 and would give anything to go back in time and start it in the 20-21 year old range.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Its really all relative I mean when you say lost all their hair do you mean from like NW 1 to NW 7 while on propecia? If propecia does not work for all men and it probably doesnt, then it makes sense that its possible that could happen although very very small chance of that. You would need aggressive history of MPB.
    Eventually when you got old enough its possible. What makes you sure at NW 1 you even had any MPB to begin with? Although given our current treatments I dont blame anyone for trying propecia before MPB kicks in at all.
    Sorry I should have been more clear, I had a series of 3 transplants to bring me from a NW2+ to a NW1-ish. According to my derm and my surgeon my natural hair line is holding exactly where it was before I had any procedure.

I know I took a risk and I'm not sure if I would do it all again. But the results today are pretty good.

You know, I was losing my hair since I was 17, but the absolute hardest thing for me was to actually accept that it was really happening and then fight it. It basically demolished my self esteem to acknowledge it but here I am 8 years later, before I had worse hair than everybody my age. Now, I'd say its better than half -- at least better than half of white guys my age. Darker Hispanics and Asians have preposterously thick hair, it makes me mad!
    Last edited by renordw; 02-02-2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by renordw View Post
    Now, I'd say its better than half -- at least better than half of white guys my age. Darker Hispanics and Asians have preposterously thick hair, it makes me mad!
    Us caucasians do have, on average the thinnest hair it seems and I also think we are more prone to losing what we've got than the other races.

Quote Originally Posted by renordw View Post
    I'm just curious, because I've been on Finasteride since I was 20, (8 years ago) and I haven't lost any more hair. But, I was wondering if there have been any cases of people who have been vigilant about their doses and still lost all their hair. I am still at about a Norwood 1... I think

Thanks
    Hey there, interested to know what dose you are taking for 8 years? any issues at all?

I've only lost more hair since starting fin a year ago unfortunately.

I wouldnt touch Propecia or hormone blockers of any sort, just as I wouldnt touch hormone enhancers like deca or sustanon.