+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oxo2010 View Post
    I know someone who paid to have black dots tattooed on his head, to replicate a shaven head.

He wouldn't tell me how much it cost but he said is was a very expensive mistake.

The problem he found is that you have to shave your head at least once a day, otherwise you have this ridiculous situation where your real hair has stubble, but the tattoo obviously doesn't.

Also, having a tattoo doesn't replace hair. It's an effect, so on cold days he still had to wear a hat.

So, he has ditched his tattoo and gone for a full cap. It keeps his head warm and he looks much better.

Also, say you get dark dots put on your scalp. They're there for life. Imagine at 80 years old, having grey hair at the back but tattooed dots on the top of your head.

You have to think long term where these things are concerned.
    Too be honest, if I had to pick between wearing a full cap ie Wig/hairpiece for the rest of my life or having a SMP head tattoo. I would always go with the head tattoo...

Not that I have a love for SMP tattooing or anything but I think wigs are just as ridiculous and a lot of hassle and are definitely not for the younger generation.

When I first heard about head tattooing I did think 'what the hell'. But from what I have seen SMP can look very very good on the right person, usually darker skinned people. Mind you that is just from looking at videos/photos, I have never seen a head tattoo up close.

Yes the downside of tattooing is endless head shaving. I think this would get on my nerves. Also further down the line, as you get older, it is just going to start looking ridiculous and maybe it's only worth having when your young and then getting it removed once you hit your 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    BTW, I got your e-mail address a couple of days ago clandestine and sent you an e-mail.
    Ah okay I'll check it out later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by x4342 View Post
    Indeed, most present treatments could be comedic fodder:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s87y60NY9Q

As you noted the reality is that present treatments only appeal to the desperate. My mother's side of the family has extensive hair loss. If I ask a bald uncle or relative about doing something the typical response is "sure if there was something that could actually be done."

Some people are so desperate they will actually get "tattoo hair." The majority won't even entertain the idea. There's a very good reason "only 2% to 7%" of people seek treatment. The primary problem is that there is no truly effective treatment and thus present treatments will only appeal to a minority of people who are so desperate they will try virtually anything.
    You need to put up your objective source for this. It is quite a statement to make. I dont think you have a clue how effective rogaine, finasteride, hair transplants and other methods really are.

Back up your claim.

My believe you are just another one of these unhappy guys coming here to rain on everyone's parade.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    It now is. Its still time consuming and expensive to remove, but it is now removable. I am certain within 5 years they will be able to come up with a modified ink that can be removed or fades out
    That's exactly what the TEMPORARY SMP in the link I posted does. It fades out over 1.5-2 years. There's no 5 year wait.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    You need to put up your objective source for this. It is quite a statement to make. I dont think you have a clue how effective rogaine, finasteride, hair transplants and other methods really are.

Back up your claim.

My believe you are just another one of these unhappy guys coming here to rain on everyone's parade.

Well, it wasn't my intention to rain on anyone's parade.
    As for backing up my claim, I'm not sure how I would do that. I'm not aware of a peer reviewed study that specifically addresses the issue. I suppose something like: Curr Med Res Opin. 2005 Nov;21(11):1829-36 could be seen as supporting evidence though it's pretty old. 70% of men with hair loss said it was an issue to them yet only 10% were seeking treatment.

I think if you are living in the west you will be aware of your options. It would be one thing if you were growing up in Afghanistan or something, but having grown up in the U.S. I was inundated with Rogaine commercials and constant infomercials from the Hair Club and Bosley long before I had any hair loss.

From my anecdotal experience the majority of guys I know simply don't seek treatment because they are unsatisfied by their current options. Naughton (Histogen) and Olle (Follica) have both pointed to this issue as being behind their motivation and it makes sense to me.

I think it's important to remember that people posting on the bald truth or any other discussion forum are not representative of the typical hair loss sufferer. These forums are home to the most desperate people. The average person doesn't like their hair loss one bit, but still isn't going to tattoo "hair" on their scalp either.

When Histogen states:
    "Histogen says hair loss affects more than 40 million men and 21 million women in the United States alone, but less than 7 percent seek treatment due to lack of options."

-I believe them.

Likewise I agree with Olle, that simply maintaining hair or undergoing invasive transplants will never appeal to the majority of sufferers:

"Creating new hair follicles is essential to treating hair loss, and is something that cannot be accomplished by invasive surgical procedures such as hair transplantation or by existing drug treatments that at best simply preserve existing hair," said Dr. Bernat Olle, Follica Co-founder.

-It's important to remember that companies like Histogen and Follica aren't focused on the "2-7%." They wisely understand that the big money will be made when there are treatments that appeal to the majority of sufferers.
    They may not succeed, but at least they recognize that present options simply aren't acceptable to the typical sufferer.

Sources:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...lls/all/?print

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...209914441.html

I appreciate the time you put out to detail your reply.

However, peer reviews on tattoo hair from the AMA medical journals aside

I think you have interpreted the data to fit your own personal pre conceived idea. You definitely came across as brushing off millions of peoples attempt to deal with their hair loss as fruitless.

By the time we are 50, either we aint losing our hair or we are bald. The rare case is a guy like myself who lost hair so slowly I flip flopped on doing something about it until I was 46 years old. Even then I started as a NW 3. I am the exception to the rule .

Most men have MPS need to make a decision on it by age 30. When it comes to medication, the younger the better.

So this site is quite likely kids in their late teen early 20s who are freaked out upon the onset of MPS , and warriors who have been through several procedures. Most of us who come here dont want to end up NW 6 and if caught early enough, will probably never get there with Minox, fin and Niz.

For those not so lucky to catch it early, we need HT s. This site is also filled with many folks including myself who took the plunge.

Browse this site and see for yourself all the success stories. We feel that folks can find a solution and encourage others to do so.

I think x4342 was just trying to say that today's options for treating hair loss do not serve most hair loss sufferers adequately and do not appeal to most people. I realize that plenty of people on here have gotten hair transplants and/or used minoxidil and finasteride with satisfactory results for them, and more power to them. I've been on finasteride for about 3 years now and although it has slowed my hair loss, I haven't had any hair regrowth. I used to be on minoxidil too and that didn't do a damn thing for me.

I personally am not trying to rain on anyone's parade at all. I'm just frustrated and angry that in my opinion, we don't have adequate options to deal with a problem that affects so many men so greatly. And there have hardly been any pushes towards innovation whatsoever.

Today's options really do only appeal to a very small segment of hair loss sufferers. Spencer says a hair transplant should only be used as a last resort and I think he says this because an HT has many flaws and limitations. Inability to create anything close to a full head of hair, permanent head scarring, possible shock loss, the failure to address diffuse thinning, and an almost required lifetime commitiment to taking finasteride are just some of these flaws. And surgery is surgery. I was nervous a few years ago to have a small cyst from my neck surgically removed. There is practically no visible scar from this, yet I was still very apprehensive. Now imagine having a large portion of your scalp surgically cut out from your head. That alone is enough to turn off most men.

X4342, that quote from Follica's co-founder is spot on. Creation of new hair follicles is absolutely essential and should be the standard for all hair loss treatments. The fact is that as long as it's a procedure based on moving hair from one place to another, there will always be big limitations.

And lastly, you talk about being inundated with commercials by Bosley, Hair Club for Men, and for Rogaine!! I see that garbage all the time. Those ads are so incredibly slick, disingenuous and they flat out LIE!!

I feel your frustration. If you need to talk about it some more, please do so.

We are here for you. But in the end, we need to do something about it , or come to peace with it. Sitting in the middle of these two choices causes the pain.

Good luck and let us know if you need anything.

Not sure why the guy that started this thread, didn't even stay to discuss it. Just one post and he disappeared like a floppajoppa.

The only city that matters in Canada. Eh?!

They sampled a reasonable source of men and women and then claims that over 40 million men and 21 million women suffers worldwide yet 7% seeks help. Theres no way that is accurate. "Help" is very subjective. Asking a friend about what to do about their hairloss is "help." Asking the doctor is seeking "help." And in a way, watching and acknowledging hairloss commercials is seeking "help." There are also a lot of people who want to seek help but are also lazy or embarassed to ask about their hair because it may sound like a trivial thing for someone to be worrying about hairloss when there are people who worry about not having a home.

My answer is... I just lol.