+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When will generic 1mg Finasteride be available in the USA?

I know the patent expires soon, but I swear to God I Googled a million different ways and couldn't find the answer. I've been on the brand name drug paying about 70 dollars per month at Costco. I have no problem buying a generic drug at a legit US pharmacy over-the-counter, I just am too paranoid to buy from some Indian pharmacy and not know with 100% certainty that I'm getting the real stuff.

I'll continue to pay the full price for Propecia until the generic is available, but obviously it would be great to pay a fraction of the price of at all possible. Does anyone have the answer to my question? Thanks in advance!

1mg propecia went generic on the 11th of January. I was paying 87 dollars a month at CVS. I went to Walmart and they told me I could get it for 78 dollars, but a generic had just come available for 63 dollars. The pharmacist told me that it will go down in price as the months go by. Generic proscar is like 9 dollars for a 30 day supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Soxfaninfl View Post
    1mg propecia went generic on the 11th of January. I was paying 87 dollars a month at CVS. I went to Walmart and they told me I could get it for 78 dollars, but a generic had just come available for 63 dollars. The pharmacist told me that it will go down in price as the months go by. Generic proscar is like 9 dollars for a 30 day supply.
    Nice, unfortunately my family doctor who gave me my Propecia script wasn't willing to write it for the 5mg Proscar, but glad to see it is all coming down here shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf View Post
    Nice, unfortunately my family doctor who gave me my Propecia script wasn't willing to write it for the 5mg Proscar, but glad to see it is all coming down here shortly.
    Really? Wow that sucks my doc wrote me a prescription for it if I chose to switch, but I decided to say on propecia. I don't want to deal with cutting pills.

Quote Originally Posted by Soxfaninfl View Post
    Really? Wow that sucks my doc wrote me a prescription for it if I chose to switch, but I decided to say on propecia. I don't want to deal with cutting pills.
    Mine's pretty old and senile, I should probably shop around and try to find a better one. Saving the money sure would be nice but it's a hassle looking up and meeting with doctors.

Why would we want to pay more for the pills. I like having the 5mg pills and then chopping them into 4 . One month turns into 4 month supply.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    Why would we want to pay more for the pills. I like having the 5mg pills and then chopping them into 4 . One month turns into 4 month supply.
    Yeah, plus a 5mg tablet is way cheaper then a 1mg tablet still, aren't they? So take that into account and it's a tiny fraction of the cost but my doctor wouldn't write up the prescription for me that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf View Post
    Yeah, plus a 5mg tablet is way cheaper then a 1mg tablet still, aren't they? So take that into account and it's a tiny fraction of the cost but my doctor wouldn't write up the prescription for me that way.
    mine was $27 bucks for a 30 day supply which chopped into 4 is about 7 bucks a month

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    mine was $27 bucks for a 30 day supply which chopped into 4 is about 7 bucks a month
    LOL then there is approximately a 10:1 disparity in what I am paying versus what you are paying. I just got a 90 day supply a few weeks ago but I am going to look into seeking another Dr. who will hopefully write me up a script for the 5mg tablets.

Get a 5-mg dose prescription. Then go to WalMart, don't use your insurance. Mine is 8 dollars for a 90 day supply.

Literally. WalMart has a help the indigent program, use it.