+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fighting Diffuse!!

Sit back, let me tell you a tale.....

I'm approaching 27yrs of age, generally healthy and currently... generally content. I noticed way back in early 2012 that my hair had begun to diffuse in the "horseshoe" pattern, with the worst at the crown area and mid scalp. Unfortunately diffuse thinning is in the family (Father & two Siblings). Hairline is unaffected in all our cases, but over time the scalp is ruined in a unflattering way. So after months of reading, I decided to take a gamble with Fin around June/July 2012. I ordered Proscar from Inhouse pharmacy, cut the pills (roughly) into quarters and began my experiment. The target: complete 1 year, and assess!

Sides: First 3 weeks nothing, then came the shed. Shed for 3/4 weeks then stopped, but it took a lot of hair with it. Over time I believe some of that hair has returned, but not all of it.....(Fin 1-0 Me)....Libido has taken a slight knock. Less morning wood, less surprising *cough* urges. However still able to perform, It just requires a bit more concentration.......(Fin 2-0 Me)

Strange side effect: A patch of hair on my leg shed, now re-growing (thankfully)

Now clearly only around 7 months have passed, but I'm wavering. I've had zero benefit thus far, just slight loss. If after 1 year I feel nothing has changed and stop taking it, I will experience another shed....In which more hair will be lost. Plus I cant ignore that gut feeling that DHT suppressing over time can't be good i.e Do I want to be caught up in this web? So I guess what I want is general feedback. Opinions? Similar experiences? Ideas? Suggestions? Methods without the use of Fin?

I should also point out that even though I can live with short hair, and thankfully have a partner who isn't too bothered by it, I've always found hair a bit of a big deal. So be gentle in your responses. Less dismissive and more suggestive

These photos aren't great, but you should get the picture....excuse the pun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130129_152005.jpg

Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	19064   Click image for larger version

Name:	602946_10151200606411732_222493274_n.jpg

Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	19065  

*sits back* Interesting...

I've been on Fin for about 14 months now, I was shedding above average for about a whole year till 2 months ago, now my hair loss has alter. Some people benefit from fin withing the 6 month course but that is rare. Most likely you'll see results withing 12 months.

Ps. I didn't get any regrowth around my affected area, which is located on the right temple area. Keep in mind that this drug might not give you full regrowth like most people but it can alter it.

EDIT: the 2nd picture...dam, that food looks tasty AF.

dex89, so you waited until after the 12 month mark before seeing an improvement?

I'm at 12 months and three weeks myself... With no improvements.

Thanks for sharing your story.

The more and more I stew the whole fin idea in my head, the more I think I would want to take 0.5 mg/day.

I'm contemplating whether to move onto Minox from now until my first full year on fin is up.

If I see no improvement I may drop the fin and stick with the minox another six months, then give up the goose if i have no luck.

Would anyone recommend sticking with fin beyond a year? especially if you've seen no benefit at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_ View Post
    dex89, so you waited until after the 12 month mark before seeing an improvement?

I'm at 12 months and three weeks myself... With no improvements.
    Yes I waited...Are you still shedding?

the only reason why I took FIN so it could alter my hair loss. I don't expect any regrowth or thickening with this drug, if it happens then that's a plus. I'll probably take the next step and starting adding RU into regime.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloser43 View Post
    I'm contemplating whether to move onto Minox from now until my first full year on fin is up.

If I see no improvement I may drop the fin and stick with the minox another six months, then give up the goose if i have no luck.

Would anyone recommend sticking with fin beyond a year? especially if you've seen no benefit at that point?
    I've seen most seasoned members say give it 12-18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    I've seen most seasoned members say give it 12-18 months.
    I've heard (well, read) enough accounts on hair loss forum of people not seeing improvements until 15-18 months, perhaps even slightly later. That's only thing keeping me in the game - that and the TE diagnosis.

me too kirby, though my recent pics are making me very upset indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by alex82 View Post
    Hi guys, though I'd finally post some pics. hopefully shows the extent of the shedding I've experienced since starting fin over a year ago. It is not showing any signs of stopping. in fact, it seems to be getting worse. I've shed what looks like previously good thick hair and regrown thin weak hair in its place. Also have an almost constant itching burning feeling on top of my scalp where the loss is greatest. It seems that Fin has just kicked my MPB into overdrive

Before

10 months

13 months

I'm developing a theory that for some (quite a few of us it seems) younger guys with early stage loss but obvious sensitivity to dht, Fin does more harm than good by fast forwarding to a later stage it may have taken a few years to otherwise get too. If it does then start working your still in a worse place with respect to time than you would have been without it. If it really does cause the body to upregulate the androgen receptors then obviously a lot of hair will be lost from the dht sensitive areas. By the time it settles down you've already lost too much.
    Maybe in older guys with more advanced hairloss it works beter as the most sensitive hairs have been lost anyway by then.