+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hey Alex82

I feel in the same boat atm. Though my photos aren't great, I've experienced a lot of thinning across the entire scalp since starting. As of yet, 7 months/no progress. Sticking with it until June/July though. May try adding Minox...

By the way, though I believe You've lost some density, your post 13 month photos seem to taken in a more intense light, which probably gives some false impression. Under less intense light my hair often seems fine, but it completely fails under more intense scrutiny.....like the sun

I am 46 years old and just started finasteride just over a week ago or so . I recieved 5mg pills that I chopped into 4.

I have had no erectile dysfunction nor any side effects at all. But this is early days. I do have to wonder if there is a conversion difference of testosterone to DHT when we get older.

Perhaps its just as simple a fact that it affects each individual differently and there is no way to predict it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloser43 View Post
    Hey Alex82

I feel in the same boat atm. Though my photos aren't great, I've experienced a lot of thinning across the entire scalp since starting. As of yet, 7 months/no progress. Sticking with it until June/July though. May try adding Minox...

By the way, though I believe You've lost some density, your post 13 month photos seem to taken in a more intense light, which probably gives some false impression. Under less intense light my hair often seems fine, but it completely fails under more intense scrutiny.....like the sun
    Dang. I'm not crazy to hear about that. Hopefully tapering on low dose will keep the sides and shedding at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Dang. I'm not crazy to hear about that. Hopefully tapering on low dose will keep the sides and shedding at bay.
    From what I've read on these types of forums, I get the suspicion that lower doses wont help lower the risk of side-effects or negative hair loss. It seems the dose is either too small to effect hair loss, or it is enough to effect it. Whether the effect is good/bad/immediate/delayed/unnoticeable is a gamble we take. Though generally studies suggest either reasonably good effect, or unnoticeable.

I'm not suggesting fin isn't going to work for me, It's just that I see no sign of reward for my losses so far. The consensus seems to be 1 year minimum before evaluating, so I guess i should be patient.

I'm in the same position. Started Fin last year Feb/March, and noticed an overall thinning of my hair a few months after starting. I'm still taking it, hoping for something to happen. I have read about some guys not responding for 14 months, so there's no use in stopping it. Except of course for the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I'm in the same position. Started Fin last year Feb/March, and noticed an overall thinning of my hair a few months after starting. I'm still taking it, hoping for something to happen. I have read about some guys not responding for 14 months, so there's no use in stopping it. Except of course for the cost.
    I see, I see. The hair in my frontal lobe close to the hairline is blonde towards the scalp. I won't be terribly surprised if fin causes those hairs to fall, but hopefully they come back thick and dark.

Quote Originally Posted by alex82 View Post
    I'm developing a theory that for some (quite a few of us it seems) younger guys with early stage loss but obvious sensitivity to dht, Fin does more harm than good by fast forwarding to a later stage it may have taken a few years to otherwise get too. If it does then start working your still in a worse place with respect to time than you would have been without it. If it really does cause the body to upregulate the androgen receptors then obviously a lot of hair will be lost from the dht sensitive areas. By the time it settles down you've already lost too much.
    Maybe in older guys with more advanced hairloss it works beter as the most sensitive hairs have been lost anyway by then.
    I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately for us, this phenomenon is largely dismissed and poorly understood. I have spent the last 14 months trying to figure it out and my best guess is that by reducing DHT, some people (a small minority) upregulate androgen receptors to such a high extent, the hairloss continues and becomes worse. I alos think that the receptors maybe become more sensitive to testosterone resulting in a diffuse pattern.

Anyways, Alex82, if you read this, how have you been. I am in the exact same boat as you only a couple months behind. Have you been able to get the shedding to stop or at least reduce the itching? I tried switching from fin to dut after a year on fin with no results. Four months ago I stopped taking DHT blockers altogether as there was no measurable benefit. Any news with you?