+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Pics for evaluation

I had called into the BTT show last night and spoke with Spencer and Dr. Kelly about the decision on having a HT on the air, just posting my pics here so they have a visual guide to judge, I welcome any other feedback as well, thanks. My stats are also below:

Medication:1 mg Propecia daily each am (no noticable side effects) and committed to take for life if need be, also use over the counter 1% Nizoral shampoo 2-3X per week

Family history:No males with extensive baldness, receding hairlines are common with thinning on top but I'm not aware of any close family members who reached anything beyond a NW4

Main concerns:My hairline corners have receded to a point where styling my hair is impossible. I already had very limited options due to very fine hair. I am confident that a HT would improve my situation in the short-intermediate timeframe, I just see other treatments and advances that MAY or MAY NOT be available/legit while I am still young and it makes me hesitant to use up my donor supply which as we all know is a scarce resource.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0045.jpg

Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	19011   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0046.jpg

Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	19012   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0047.jpg

Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	19013   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0051.jpg

Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	19014   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0057.jpg

Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	19015   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0065.jpg

Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	19016   Click image for larger version

Name:	wet hair 2.jpg

Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	19017   Click image for larger version

Name:	wet hair 3.jpg

Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	19018  

Quote Originally Posted by John Frank, MD View Post
    Eric,
    You must have been referring to me, Dr John Frank (not Dr Kelly).
    Spencer said there is nothing wrong with waiting and that's always good advice however, that doesn't take into the consideration that you are very anxious to do something...and DOING NOTHING doesn't solve that problem for you. You're committed to Propecia, you have a soft family history for balding, and you have good color match. So these are all good indicators for good results and these are very important years! So, if you decide to move ahead with the transplant, it's crucial that you keep the hairline high and resist trying to bring the hairline down low in the front. I don't think donor depletion will be an issue for you, as long as you keep it high.

Other than this, you can proceed. Again, keep the hairline high, and let me know if you want my advice on what would be an appropriate level. I'm in New York City, feel free to drop in.

Dr John Frank
    Hey Dr. Frank,

Yes, you're correct I was trying to reach you I don't know how I mixed up the name there so I apologize. Thanks for your input. I think I could certainly live with my central hairline being right where it's at, it's just those damn receded corners and temple areas which make my hair so difficult to style. Thanks again for your professional input, and I enjoyed very much talking to you and Spencer last night on the program!

PS:GO BUCKEYES! Should be one hell of a season in 2013, despite being in MD I'm actually a huge OSU fan due to some family ties in OH so I find that really, really cool that you played college football at OSU!

it looks like you have above average donor density

and there is no doubt that using grafts to fill the temple angles to better frame your face will not be made in vein

i'd consult with rahal and konior as well

they specialize in face framing hairlines
    many younger patients are realizing that framing the face with appropriate hairline design are worth the grafts needed to do so even though it might mean having lower mid or crown densities

in any case consult with these two docs, even if you are already set in your doc decision

Quote Originally Posted by John Frank, MD View Post
    That's a phrase that has been used for a long time when it comes to the hairline in relationship to one's face. And certainly an appropriately placed hairline tends to accentuate somebodies facial features. However, because hair loss is a progressive, dynamic problem in most people, it becomes especially challenging in young men as they have no idea what's going to happen in 10,20, 30 years. So for that reason (and because the donor area is finite) it's never a good idea to come too low when creating a hairline in somebody under 30 y.o. It is tempting to create a low hairline, but for a younger person it's very risky. Remember, you can always bring the hairline down more in the future, but you never want to be in a position of running out grafts to fill in the area behind the hairline (or even be forced to require more grafts in the future).
    There probably won't be a cure in 5 years like people are hoping, but in 10 years they'll probably be doing stem cell replication for hair follicles.

It'll be, go into the clinic, they take 10 hair grafts, you come back in a week and get 10,000 implanted.

Gandolf is in a similar position to me, I still have good density and my hairline isn't too high, but it's those bloody temple peaks that shit all over my styling.
    I say go for it if you have the money.

Gandolf,

Based on the information that you provided, you appear to be a good candidate for surgical hair restoration.

You are doing the properly recommended medicinal regimen which appears to be working well for you and also the absence of advanced hairloss classes within your family history.

As you may already know, this is not an exact science but all of the indicators are good for you IMHO.

What I really wanted to add is to recommend that you look into and consider FUE for your first procedure. It sounds like you agree with a more mature and conservatively placed hairline so you should not need a very large initial session.

Even if you progress more, and no doubt you will with time, the fact that the hairloss history within your family is not advanced, you may not need that much follow-up work or touch-ups in the future.

And should you decide that you want to wear a much shorter hair style or even buzz your hair in the future, there will be no donor scar to contend with.

If your hairloss was much more advanced or you had it in the cards so-to-speak, then IMHO, strip would be a better approach because of the better documented yields and the fact that our donor is limited as you previously stated.

Just be sure that the FUE surgeon you choose has proven documented prior results with the FUE technique.

BTW, feel free to stop by my office as I am close to you if you live in Maryland. There is no charge for the appointment. Just pop me an email.

One last comment: Although I am a Redskins, Nationals, and Capitals fan, I still have a heart for the Ravens and used to go and watch the "Birds" play at Camden Yards before the Wash Nationals arrived. I used to have an office in downtown Baltimore years ago.

GO RAVENS!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thank you Dr. Frank as you make a good point. FUE in itself does not guarantee "no visible scarring" and I have seen enough pics of shaven donor areas post-op where the healed extraction sites were in fact noticable, and some extremely noticable.

When FUE was first introduced in North America and even up to the present day, there are at times clinics who come on strong with a marketing campagin driven by a so-called "scarless technique" which is anything but the truth. And this is why the patient must consider their potential for hairloss over the long term. Many men suffering from MPB will need/want more coverage and more procedures. I had four strip procedures myself for just under 7,000 grafts and still only one donor scar. I can hardly imagine what my donor region would look like with that many extractions! I also hear from guys every now and then who chose FUE when it was a hot in the forums and then chose FUHT for their subsequent procedures.

IMHO, this is why FUHT may indeed be a better option for those who are headed for the higher Norwood classes. Better yields considering our limited donor supplies.

This is why I believe that FUE is better suited for those who have limited hairloss in their family histories and do not wish to have a long donor strip scar. Keeping a higher more age suited placement of the hairline also helps preserves that limited donor supply as you pointed out earlier.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thanks for the replies everyone. The donor scar doesn't really scare me too badly because I don't wear my hair short and certainly wouldn't want to if I spring for the HT (what would be the point in dropping 10k just to shave it all off?).

So, I'd be doing FUT if I did have a procedure shortly. I am still on the fence, the stuff I'm seeing from Dr. Gho who claims to be able to get 80-90% donor regrowth intrigues me, but I think the results are FAR from being proven and I don't want to be a guinea pig.

For the poster that mentioned Rahal, he is one of the doctors I've consulted with. He recommended 2400 grafts based on the pictures I posted in this thread. I also met in person with Dr. Feller who recommended 1800 (the hairline he drew on me was practically right overtop of what I have, even in the corners so I crossed him off my list), and finally H&W recommended 3500 grafts. Interesting how 3 of the top clinics in the world have such a variance in what they recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by rev3 View Post
    it looks like you have above average donor density
    I've been told I do by both HT doctors and barbers alike over the years, but my hairs are VERY fine. I've heard that blondes have, in general, the highest hair counts but the thinnest individual hairs and I definitely fit the profile.

Hey Gandolf.

If its any comfort, I just did my first hair transplant 2 1/2 months ago and it went fairly well.

I just jumped onto finasteride with no sides yet.

Its not bad. Make sure the doc gives you the good stuff. Vicodin.

How many grafts do you want? From your photo it looks like you could get away with dense packing about 3000 and that should take care of it. But I am no expert.

Let us know how it goes

go to Rahal and stay at the Brookline House, residence for all Rahal patients which is down the block from the clinic. it is inexpensive has a spa-like feel