+ Reply to Thread

Default 22 year old good bet?

Hey I started receding at the temples when i was 18 to about a norwood3. I was dreading this as I knew my father had lost his at that age and is now norwood7.I went on minoxidil 5% for two and a half years which completely halted my recession and gave me some half decent regrowth at the front.I have now got onto proscar a couple of months ago and am waiting to see what happens. The problem is the frame of my face is detrimental to my look and I am just short of it and do not think the drugs I am on will aquire that aggressive effect.So I would like to have surgery as it is very depressing feeling that I look very good with the low hairline and I am just too far off. I know the problems involved with this but I have been told that hair cloning will be ready in four years from now. Do you think having a youthful hairline with surgery once I have undergone proscar for another 7-9 months (which will hopefully work a treat as minoxidil alone worked very well in my opinion) is a big gamble? Surely I could remain on a preventative measure of drugs and upgrade to duasteride once finasteride starts to wear. This could hold out my original top hair for say nearly a decade maybe more, giving enough time for cloning to be brought in.Does anyone know any good surgeons who will work on young candidates?Thanks

Arrow

Hi Pablo,

You should consult with an IAHRS member to assess your particular situation. You can find a list of IAHRS accepted members here: http://www.iahrs.org/members.asp

Surgery is not something to jump into lightly. Do lots of homework so that you fully understand the positive as well as the potential downsides of the hair transplant process.

Doctor Representative Limmer HTC's Avatar

Default too young?

There is always the potential risk of "locking" yourself into additional hair transplantation if you have future loss (which is almost certain) and your previous work was not appropriately placed.
    Preservation is the best route for most young men, which is commonly done through medical therapy.
    While there are many factors to consider when determining whether or not transplantation is right for someone, age is not the first thing to rule you out.
    Jessica
    Limmer HTC

Are you able to post your current situation in photos?

I have seen a very good surgeon in the uk and the amount he said he would transplant was far from what I wanted as I am too young basically and have not seen the full effects of proscar which I have been on for nearly 3 months now. I feel I need the aggressive approach as opposed to a preservative approach like he suggested, as a low hairline is required for me to look good with the shape of my head. I know this wouldnt normally be practical but it seems that it is not too much of a gamble for me as I would be prepared to have future surgery if need be. Also the combination of minoxidil and finasteride with the option of an upgrade to duasteride will surely hold my hair for at least 7 years (I seem to be reacting well to the drugs so far). On top of this it seems hair cloning will be available before that time bracket. I'll go about getting some photos on here anyway Jessica. Thanks

I would listen to Jessica. It sounds like you're acting out of desperation which is never a good thing. Post some pictures, it might be very helpful.