+ Reply to Thread

Default Should I give Propecia another shot? Need advise please

Hey guys. I posted here once before, when my first signs of thinning in the crown were visible after a haircut at the barbers. I was 26 then, and it happened so suddenly. I am now 27. Anyways, I got on Propecia about 8-9 months ago, and used it for about 6 months. I started off with minor side effects such as 'minor testiclular aches' and odd sensations. I figured I'd ride it out a bit due to what people said on the forums.
    It then got better for awhile. After around the 4-5 month mark, I noticed a less of a sex drive, watery semen and sort of like a numbness with it being harder to get it up. This put me in sort of a panic, debating whether this is worth it at all. And this is where I decided to not go back to the Doc to get my prescription written up again.

It has now been at least 3 months off of the drug, and like many, find myself being daily reminded and obsessed about the thinning/balding, and being hesitant because I'm not taking action no longer.
    My father at 60 has hair with just a receded hairline, his dad died with a full head of hair, and on my mothers side the father went semi bald but at very late stage. 60+ , so FML.... My hair is about eye level now so it is not very noticeable unless the hair is wet and straight.

So my question to you guys is whether I should perhaps give propecia another shot, perhaps @ 0.5 mg instead of the 1mg I used before?
    If I should try the equate minoxidil as I have seen some very good responses from peoples before/afters in under a year for crown and top thinning.

What do you guys suggest? I really want to fight this until my mid 30s at least, because its driving me nuts and affecting me mentally daily. But I am hesitant that side effects will return and the long term of them.

Sorry for the long post, but hope some give their ideas and feedback.
    Those with similar experience please chime in.
    Thank you so much. Awaiting a reply.

Well Im 22 and have quite bad diffuse thinning. I buzzed my hair the other day (been prancing on about it for a while) and at first was adjusting to it.

Saying that I'm starting to adjust to it and I have to say it's been an eye opener. Sure there's lots of scalp to see and bright light is my worse enemy, but it feels better and no hair falls out!!!!

Im tempted to maintain this and then add the big three to restore thickness whilst buzzed, I think I have the head to pull it off and stubble as well.

An option for you?

Hey, thanks for the input, and great to hear that you are adapting to the new look. Regarding the option, yes I have already had the near shaved,low buzzed look. I find it looked alright as I'm 6'3 210, but clearly its not option 1 for me or many others :P.
    But I'm still looking for feedback from people who got off Propecia due to sides and went back on it with a lower dosage.

** Also, I have been reading up on Lipogaine as a replacement over Rogaine itself as a foam and liquid product. Apparently it has Azelaic Acid. Does anybody have experience with this product at all, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ushy View Post
    Hey, thanks for the input, and great to hear that you are adapting to the new look. Regarding the option, yes I have already had the near shaved,low buzzed look. I find it looked alright as I'm 6'3 210, but clearly its not option 1 for me or many others :P.
    But I'm still looking for feedback from people who got off Propecia due to sides and went back on it with a lower dosage.

** Also, I have been reading up on Lipogaine as a replacement over Rogaine itself as a foam and liquid product. Apparently it has Azelaic Acid. Does anybody have experience with this product at all, thanks.
    hey i had slight testicular pain and watery semen but went away after four weeks so now im on my 16th month of propecia....i hope you do go back on it because its worth another go....just start off lightly,.25 up to .50....work your way up, if your still having sides after a month or two then i think its not for you. btw i stayed on the 1mg even through the sides and glad i did. im a NW 2.5 and my hairloss has stopped. all the luck in the world to ya mate...