+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Minoxidil for a receding hairline - photos

Hey. I started using minox for a fairly rapidly (in my mind) receding hairline recently. I've been using it once a day for about 3 weeks now and am having a **** tonne of hair fall out this past week, as I'd been anticipating/dreading. I really hope it comes back, especially around the temples.

I'm 27. My dad is NW6-7, though his hair is totally different to mine - his was always very thin, mine's always been very thick. No hair loss on my Mother's side.

I noticed the recession about 6-8 months back and held out to confirm whether it was real or not. It became particularly noticeable (to me) the past couple of months so I did the research, obsessed an unhealthy amount, and decided on minox for now, with the possibility of fin if shit gets out of hand.

I know minox isn't recommended for the hairline. I know it's also not gonna do anything about the DHT. I know I'm likely only delaying the whole process for a short while at best. But minox is kind of a bridge for me while I consider whether I want to try fin.

Because I'm fairly terrified of fin. I know the chance of serious and long-lasting sides are relatively small and yadda yadda, but relatively small odds don't matter much when they happen to you. I'm considering starting on a small dose, perhaps a quarter of 1mg every other day or thereabouts, and see how I react. My hairline has started a rapid retreat lately - especially on one side of my hairline, around my parting, which is thinning fast - so I might have to give it a go. Side-effects seem less and less of an issue the more and more scalp I see.

I'm attaching a few images in chronological order, the latest ones - with hair wet - are from today. I'll try and keep an update on any progress.

(The camera's shitty and makes it look better than it is, by the way)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hl1.jpg

Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	18987   Click image for larger version

Name:	hl2.jpg

Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	18988   Click image for larger version

Name:	hl3.jpg

Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	18989   Click image for larger version

Name:	hl4.jpg

Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	18990   Click image for larger version

Name:	hl5.jpg

Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	18991   Click image for larger version

Name:	hl6.jpg

Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	18992   Click image for larger version

Name:	hl7.jpg

Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	18993   Click image for larger version

Name:	hl8.jpg

Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	18994  

Hey brother man,

Well, don't let the genetics stuff trick you into thinking you're immune from going bald. But, I feel it's pretty obviously you're not letting that happen.

My dad is NW7 by age 25 (how old I am now) and there is no hairloss on my mom's side. I have thick, brown hair while my dad had thin, blonde hair. So, just like you, I always though I was destined to perfect hair. Looks like you and I probably got the same wake up call.

I would say not to be too afraid of fin, but use it responsibly. I havn't started it yet, so I won't go around sternly recommending it - I will be starting fin in ~1 mo.

They say fin takes 12-18 months to see real results. So, if it's something you're entertaining, I suggest doing some deep thinking and getting on it ASAP if you're going to at all.

That's all. I just thought it was interesting our hereditary aspects were comparable and wanted to relate.

Best wishes, homes.

Thanks man. Yeah, I'd never even entertained the possibility of baldness before. I have my grandfather's hair - literally the only other person in my family with hair the same colour/thickness as mine - and he had a full head of hair into his seventies (the shithead).

But anyway, it's definitely receding and thinning. I've accepted that and I'm just glad I researched it this early really. I'd be happy if I could keep what I have.

But that does seem to require fin, of course. It's a pity, because I started using minox as a way to avoid fin, and if I get on fin now any progress I have won't be as easily identifiable as down to one thing or the other. Plus I have to stay on this minox now to at least (hopefully) get back what I've lost in the shed, and then possibly stay on the stuff forever. Probably should have just gone with the fin from the jump.

wow, dude we really have a similar hairline, I am 29 but my hairline was a bit better when I was 27. When it's about the hairline everything can happen fast-forward.
    we are also very alike about genetics, I look exactly like my granddad from my mother's side who died at 83 with a full head of hair. I could only see his latter pictures and to be frankly maybe he did have a better hairline than me if it's not for the photo effect. I don't know. But the frame and even our whole face is the same. but I don't count on that.
    from my experience, minox is not great for hairline. but don't let this stop you from trying everyone is different. I tried it for 7 months and I thought it's getting worse but maybe it wasn't, who knows. I lost my objectivity about hair a long time ago

if you excuse me I will just squeeze something here, now my left temple seems a lot worse than my right temple, this is strange because my right temple was the weakest link. Actually 4-5 months ago I thought it was going real bad, but now to my surprise it started to fill in, maybe due to Avodart. do you guys think I can expect such thing for my left temple too? can it be it be like my right temple which first receded and now being filled?
    thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Eromnova View Post
    But that does seem to require fin, of course. It's a pity, because I started using minox as a way to avoid fin, and if I get on fin now any progress I have won't be as easily identifiable as down to one thing or the other. Plus I have to stay on this minox now to at least (hopefully) get back what I've lost in the shed, and then possibly stay on the stuff forever. Probably should have just gone with the fin from the jump.
    Well, that doesn't mean you should discontinue minox necessarily. If you can afford it and don't mind application. Fin and minox are supposed to combat hairloss in different ways. That said, it may be good that your body is already adjusted to minox, and now it is ready for you to introduce fin (again, if you choose to).

The glass is half-full, hombre.

Also, I wanted to add your hair looks pretty damn good man. Even if the pics aren't doing it justice, I'd say is you preserve what you've got, most girls will never know the difference.

Eromnova,

Your hair looks amazingly good. I know many women who wish they could have hair like yours. You do not even need Rogaine.

Konfusion, it is possible to get your temples back from Avodart. i've seen a few lucky users who posted their results here. How long have you been on Avodart for?

Thanks for the replies.

Tracy - I wish you were right. All I'm using for these photos is a crappy webcam, the thinning and recession don't look half as bad as they are in person, trust me.

The recession on one side is happening so quickly. It's ****ing scary. I can pull out hair so easily, especially from the back of my head. I know shedding is normal/often a good sign with minox but I'm really hoping my hairline goes back to where it was before I began the treatment a few weeks ago.

The recession on the left side doesn't even look normal, particularly in person and under light. Minox seems to be destroying what's left of my hairline, and it has me pretty worried, even knowing what I know about the stuff and how it works.

Just had a look in the mirror and was pretty shocked. I hope this comes back. Until very recently I had hair so thick it was unmanageable at times.

I might have to get a Proscar script quicker than I'd anticipated.

Attaching some (hopefully) better photos, some wet some dry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rh1.jpg

Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	19090   Click image for larger version

Name:	rh2.jpg

Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	19091   Click image for larger version

Name:	rh3.jpg

Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	19092   Click image for larger version

Name:	rh4.jpg

Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	19093   Click image for larger version

Name:	rh5.jpg

Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	19094   Click image for larger version

Name:	rh6.jpg

Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	19095  

Quote Originally Posted by 1Aristotle View Post
    Konfusion, it is possible to get your temples back from Avodart. i've seen a few lucky users who posted their results here. How long have you been on Avodart for?
    about 6 months. a month ago shedding had stopped completely and I was so positive but nowadays it came back, maybe even stronger. but I am not giving up for another 6 months, it was not like finasteride was working anyway so what's the harm?

Quote Originally Posted by Eromnova View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Tracy - I wish you were right. All I'm using for these photos is a crappy webcam, the thinning and recession don't look half as bad as they are in person, trust me.

The recession on one side is happening so quickly. It's ****ing scary. I can pull out hair so easily, especially from the back of my head. I know shedding is normal/often a good sign with minox but I'm really hoping my hairline goes back to where it was before I began the treatment a few weeks ago.

The recession on the left side doesn't even look normal, particularly in person and under light. Minox seems to be destroying what's left of my hairline, and it has me pretty worried, even knowing what I know about the stuff and how it works.

Just had a look in the mirror and was pretty shocked. I hope this comes back. Until very recently I had hair so thick it was unmanageable at times.

I might have to get a Proscar script quicker than I'd anticipated.

Attaching some (hopefully) better photos, some wet some dry.
    It's best to wait 6 months to a year between starting each treatment so you can see what's working for you.
    And thinning is a 'good' sign when you start minox in the first few months.
    I've been using it for 4 1/2 months and my temples are now filling in, it looks like I've had a hair transplant in the temple areas, couldn't expect better growth with a HT.

Give it time, and I'd caution against Fin.
    If it works, you will get side effects, that's the price you pay.