+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Losing tons of hair only on the sides of my head?

So, I pretty much have a full head of hair with a slight widows peak. I know my hair has thinned in some areas since I was 18 (23 now) but especially at the sides of my head? What's stranger is that the hair on the sides of my head, like right about the ear is a totally different type of hair. I mean, I can literally get at least 50 hairs from each side at any given moment. The hairs come out effortlessly. It drives me INSANE! It makes me think I am going bald but on the top of my head I am fine. Here's two pictures I just took of myself after giving myself a buzz. Clearly, you can see the affected areas in my temple region right about the ears. My hair is normally really straight, but this hair is thicker and wavy. Almost like pubic hair kind of, just not as curly. Can anyone please help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5898.jpg

Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	18964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5899.jpg

Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	18965  

And if I do have the typical male pattern baldness, can you see how advanced I am? The first picture (shirtless) is of me two years ago. The next picture was recent. The second picture my hair is also wet. To me, it looks about the same hairline.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0444.jpg

Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	18966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5767.jpg

Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	18967  

I just joined this forum and not one person can help me?

Your hairline seem pretty thick and intact. For the sides, you/they probably messed up on your hair cut? If your loosing that much hair on the sides, you should see a dermatologist that specializes in hair loss. I really don't think I've seen that type of hair loss before.

Quote Originally Posted by dex89 View Post
    Your hairline seem pretty thick and intact. For the sides, you/they probably messed up on your hair cut? If your loosing that much hair on the sides, you should see a dermatologist that specializes in hair loss. I really don't think I've seen that type of hair loss before.
    Thanks for the response dex. Well, I won't lie, I performed the buzz cut because I had gum in my hair haha but I ended up going to the hair cuttery and got an even trim now. Still though, the hair on the sides is SUPER thing in comparison to my hair everywhere else. And, it never use to be like this. My dad has a full head of hair for his age (56) and he has zero hair loss on the sides.

That is really odd, are you going threw some severe stress at the moment? You should really see a dermatologist bro.

Doesn't look like you are suffering from hairloss. It's pretty common for white dudes to have recede in their early 20s. Just keep an eye on it and, as Dex said, see a derm if you're buggin' heavy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dex89 View Post
    That is really odd, are you going threw some severe stress at the moment? You should really see a dermatologist bro.

Well, I did have surgery Dec. 12th for my right ACL. I know sometimes people are prone to hair loss a couple of months after surgery because it's a shock to the body. Overall, the last 6 months has been really stressful for me so I would definitely pin some of this hair loss on that time span. However, even before I was really stressed and had surgery the sides of my head were always prone to easy hair fall. I just don't get it. The hair on top and on the back is fine, it's the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by cichlidfort View Post
    Well, I did have surgery Dec. 12th for my right ACL. I know sometimes people are prone to hair loss a couple of months after surgery because it's a shock to the body. Overall, the last 6 months has been really stressful for me so I would definitely pin some of this hair loss on that time span. However, even before I was really stressed and had surgery the sides of my head were always prone to easy hair fall. I just don't get it. The hair on top and on the back is fine, it's the sides.
    I think you might have hit the nail on the head. I don't see any hairloss on the top of your head and the hair on the sides does not fall out on a typical case of male pattern baldness because those hairs are resistant to the hormone that causes hairloss. Stress to the body/mind, as well as anesthesia, can both cause shedding to occur, but luckily it is usually temporary. I do agree with the post above though advising you to get a true diasnosis from a dermatologist, perhaps one that specializes in hairloss.

your hair from the side looks exactly like mine 2 years ago, i'm not even kidding, the shape of your hair is the same as my left side(not the side in the pic). I have the same thinning sides issue as well, i could scratch out at least 20 hairs and its particularly worse if I blow dry my hair. This issue hasn't gone away since it started 4-5 years ago.

excuse the side burns