Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scotty
    • Jun 2009

Cobblestoning...am I at risk?

I had my HT 1 week ago, but just read (today) about cobblestoning. I haven't seen a great explanation/picture of it. What is it, and could I be at risk? What are the signs/indicators?

Here is a link to my photo album. I am only 8 days Post Op. So far, everything seems to be fine.

Thanks!
  • Dr James DeYarman
    • Nov 2008

Scotty. You don't have to worry about cobblestoning. This was a concern back when we used to do plugs. You will do fine. I would stop reading the forums. Enjoy your new hair and feel good about the positive change that will occur. You will get a nice result.
    Dr DeYarman

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
      IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
      • Nov 2008

I agree with Dr. DeYarman. Cobble stoning only occurs when very large grafts are placed into very large recipient sites. The combination of the grafts sinking do deep into the sites and scar tissue forming between the incisions caused this phenomenon. With the smaller grafts and delicate incisions used in today's procedures that should not occur. No point in worrying. Sit back for a few months after the initial healing process and try to forget you had a hair transplant. It might make time go by a little faster. After 3-4 months have gone by then you can start getting excited.
      Dr. Glenn Charles
      Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
      View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• scotty
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Dr James DeYarman
        Scotty. You don't have to worry about cobblestoning. This was a concern back when we used to do plugs. You will do fine. I would stop reading the forums. Enjoy your new hair and feel good about the positive change that will occur. You will get a nice result.
        Dr DeYarman
        Originally posted by Dr. Glenn Charles
        I agree with Dr. DeYarman. Cobble stoning only occurs when very large grafts are placed into very large recipient sites. The combination of the grafts sinking do deep into the sites and scar tissue forming between the incisions caused this phenomenon. With the smaller grafts and delicate incisions used in today's procedures that should not occur. No point in worrying. Sit back for a few months after the initial healing process and try to forget you had a hair transplant. It might make time go by a little faster. After 3-4 months have gone by then you can start getting excited.
        Thank you Dr DeYarman and Dr Charles. It is somewhat disconcerting to see the results at this stage – ALTHOUGHT I KNOW that the end result will take 6-12 months! I haven’t returned to work yet, and I am still pondering how to reveal that I have had this procedure. I work in a hospital, so I know it will not be easy to fool anyone. My brother is a surgical nurse, and he knew immediately that I had a HT performed.

I guess, I’ll have to swallow some pride and admit it…but…I have tell you…pride is terribly hard to swallow sometimes! Especially, when everyone is “nosy”.

Thanks again – have a good day!

Comment

• gillenator
          • Dec 2008

Scotty,

As long as you act normal, others won't have any reason to be uncomfortable around you. If you don't care, why should they? It's only when you act very nervous or try to avoid contact with others that will make them suspicious.
          "Gillenator"
          Independent Patient Advocate
          more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

Working...