+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Very coincidentally I just spotted my first 'comb-back' between some dreadful comb-overs while I was watching some 80's movies like Wall Street and Total Recall (Micheal Ironside is sporting one of the worst in this one) this week.
    And I mean oh boy...

Generally I do believe everyone deals with hair-loss in their own and it's matter about confidence. But these comb-overs just look terrible, they're distracting, and they're mocked and frowned upon by the general population because of the reasons 'BigThinker' stated. Once you get at the stage when you got nothing on top, you're better of leaving it or shaving it off completely. People respect you more for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    Very coincidentally I just spotted my first 'comb-back' between some dreadful comb-overs while I was watching some 80's movies like Wall Street and Total Recall (Micheal Ironside is sporting one of the worst in this one) this week.
    And I mean oh boy...

Generally I do believe everyone deals with hair-loss in their own and it's matter about confidence. But these comb-overs just look terrible, they're distracting, and they're mocked and frowned upon by the general population because of the reasons 'BigThinker' stated. Once you get at the stage when you got nothing on top, you're better of leaving it or shaving it off completely. People respect you more for it.

hahah thats a great post

there is a huge cosmetic difference between a comb back and a comb over.

the comb over is meant to try to hide the bald top and does little else.

The comb -back has already framed the face with a great hairline and so you grow that hair out about a foot and then comb it back towards the back of your head.

Its not the same as having a full head of hair . But it sure beats being horse shoe bad or having a comb over.

That is my opinion.

Was at a bar last night and saw exactly the kind of guy I'm talking about, NW0 hairline with severe diffuse thinning all over the crown and mid scalp. Had his hair buzzed short and looked fine, was with a good looking woman.

That settled it for me right there. It's all about framing the face.

It really is. Seriously. 90% of the time you are looking straight at someone when in contact with them.

Framing your hairline makes a huge difference. If I had a choice between that and using toppik or whatnot behind the hairline ....or being bald as an eagle, its a no brainer.

To those who think being bald is cool. Great. However ,the vast majority who come to this site do not WANT hair loss, nor do they WANT to go bald or they wouldnt be at this website.

Im sure they would be at the..........yay its cool to look like a cue ball.......website., with a picture of Kojak getting all the chicks.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    by time I hit 65 which is the age they are telling me the testosterone is so low that it cant produce enough DHT to really kill anymore hair. I have been advised that the hair we have at 65 is the hair we have for the rest of our time here.
    who told you that? I don't think it is true. even little testosterone can affect your hair, take a look at postmenopausal women, they have very low testosterone compared to men yet they still experience hair-loss.
    my grand-mom had super thick hair at 65, she had super hair at 80. however at 92 she started to thin and at 101 (which is the age she passed away) she had very little hair left.
    like-wise, my mom thinned after 65. I mean she still has a full head of hair at 68, her hair is better than most of her friends but it is not as thick as it used to be.
    in my opinion, 65 maybe a criteria for men because they are supposed to lose all the hair which is destined to be lost by that age, however if you manage to keep that hair with fin and quit it at 65, you will still lose and in a short time you will look like as if you never used fin.

Quote Originally Posted by konfusion View Post
    who told you that? I don't think it is true. even little testosterone can affect your hair, take a look at postmenopausal women, they have very low testosterone compared to men yet they still experience hair-loss.
    my grand-mom had super thick hair at 65, she had super hair at 80. however at 92 she started to thin and at 101 (which is the age she passed away) she had very little hair left.
    like-wise, my mom thinned after 65. I mean she still has a full head of hair at 68, her hair is better than most of her friends but it is not as thick as it used to be.
    in my opinion, 65 maybe a criteria for men because they are supposed to lose all the hair which is destined to be lost by that age, however if you manage to keep that hair with fin and quit it at 65, you will still lose and in a short time you will look like as if you never used fin.
    I think you right as virtually everything I have read about mpb says it gets more and more common with age. And just a subjective story, but had a friend who was about 79-80 when he told me how it gets easier with time due to part to how common it gets. To the point he had just came from I think his 60th class reunion and said that the few guys that were not balding previously, were now going bald as in like 100% of his class. So I doubt it ever stops though it probably slows down.

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    I think you right as virtually everything I have read about mpb says it gets more and more common with age. And just a subjective story, but had a friend who was about 79-80 when he told me how it gets easier with time due to part to how common it gets. To the point he had just came from I think his 60th class reunion and said that the few guys that were not balding previously, were now going bald as in like 100% of his class. So I doubt it ever stops though it probably slows down.
    The guy told me that once you turn about 65, your body is not converting enough testosterone into DHT at this point to cause any more significant damage to the hair follicles you have left.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. The hair you still have at 65 , is the hair you will have.

Can you guys show me all the photos of men with full heads of hair at 65 who are then chrome bald at 70 ? I think it stands to reason by age 65 either you are bald or you aint.

If you then lose more to poor nutrition or some other factors OTHER than DHT then I dont know. The guy never went into those issues.