+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Here's a Question For You Guys...

So the big knock on getting a HT before 30 is the fact that you don't have a good idea about your loss and it's possible that you will keep balding behind the transplanted hair, making it look ridiculous.

I challenge that notion.

A lot of diffuse thinners keep the outline of an NW1 hairline and just thin out. These guys always look better with buzzed hair than NW4+ receders who have super high hairlines. Their faces are still framed by the hairline.

Is it not more aesthetic to get a good hairline transplant and then just buzz your hair low if things get too bad behind it? I mean it's not like you'll run out of donor hair on your hairline alone, can't some surgeon just sparingly cover your head behind a strong transplanted hairline?

Am I not visualizing it correctly? What do you guys think?

Inactive

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Conpecia View Post
    So the big knock on getting a HT before 30 is the fact that you don't have a good idea about your loss and it's possible that you will keep balding behind the transplanted hair, making it look ridiculous.
    I challenge that notion. What do you guys think?
    I think you're arguing against the point you're trying to make.

The original argument is that you shouldn't have a hair transplant before age 30 because it's possible you will keep balding behind the transplanted hair. Saying that it's possible something else will happen instead is not a refutation of that argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Conpecia View Post

I challenge that notion.

A lot of diffuse thinners keep the outline of an NW1 hairline and just thin out. These guys always look better with buzzed hair than NW4+ receders who have super high hairlines. Their faces are still framed by the hairline.

Is it not more aesthetic to get a good hairline transplant and then just buzz your hair low if things get too bad behind it? I mean it's not like you'll run out of donor hair on your hairline alone, can't some surgeon just sparingly cover your head behind a strong transplanted hairline?

Am I not visualizing it correctly? What do you guys think?
    Hi. This is exactly the kind of guy I am. I have basically all of my hairline. I lost like 3/4 of an inch of it. But my hair has slowly thinned out over the last 25 years.

I talk to the people on here and to doctors alike. They all swear Propecia WILL stop mid scalp to crown thinning dead in its tracks. For as long as you take the stuff.

I also found out today one theory is at about age 65, your testosterone levels drop to the point where the DHT conversion is not enough to miniaturize the hair shafts anymore. So if we can hang onto it until then, further wont fall out apparently. Perhaps some can come along and shed more light on it.

So what do we do about the forhead and frontal part? This is where I had my first hair transplant and I plan to have another to dense pack .

Put up some pics so we can see where you are at.

I agree with what you are saying.

1 The hairline is most important visually.
    2 the vertex and crown respond well to current meds to keep u from losing what's in behind
    3 future treatments could make the need foe donar conservation obsolete.

If you have the cheddar and it bothers u that much, go for it I say.

Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    I think you're arguing against the point you're trying to make.

The original argument is that you shouldn't have a hair transplant before age 30 because it's possible you will keep balding behind the transplanted hair. Saying that it's possible something else will happen instead is not a refutation of that argument.

No. The argument is don't have a ht too early because you may experience future loss behind the transplanted hairline. The refutation is that this is still aesthetically superior to being a high NW because the hairline frames the face. Thus a ht should not be avoided for fear of future loss.

Two separate refutations are that you may not even bald much further behind your transplanted hair and you should also have at least enough donor to get sparse coverage so you can wear your hair buzzed short and still look decent.

Drybone: I'm NW 2.5 with vertex thinning. Very thick donor hair would be a strong candidate for HT.

Hey dude.

I know we are in a similar boat but I have to mention that I am almost 47 years old.

The more I read the more I realize what is happening. The older we get, we create less testosterone. Less testosterone means less conversion to DHT which burns out the follicles.

If I looked like I do now at age 20 or age 30 , I would have decades of DHT to live through and would probably be Norwood 7 bald.

I will not go bald and end up probable norwood 4 or 5 even without propecia by time I hit 65 which is the age they are telling me the testosterone is so low that it cant produce enough DHT to really kill anymore hair. I have been advised that the hair we have at 65 is the hair we have for the rest of our time here.

So for me its easy to 'dense pack' the front of my hairline , hopefully looking excellent , and using propecia for the mid hair to crown that I still have. Then until I use further transplants to add density to the mid scalp, I will use toppik in the meantime.

But for a young guy of 20, he could end up having this hairline, and nothing else. Joe Biden syndrome.

I still think it looks better than being bald. Instead of a comb over you have a comb BACK . just grow the front hairline a foot long and comb it all the way back.

Thats the worse case scenario and I still take it. Better than being bald.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    Hey dude.
    But for a young guy of 20, he could end up having this hairline, and nothing else. Joe Biden syndrome.

I still think it looks better than being bald. Instead of a comb over you have a comb BACK . just grow the front hairline a foot long and comb it all the way back.

Thats the worse case scenario and I still take it. Better than being bald.
    Haha. Well the "Joe Biden" syndrome thing made me laugh. But, I have to disagree with everything else you've said.

I'd rather be bald than some guy blatantly balding, unable to cope, who resorts to having a "comb back". I read a series of studies recently where women rated men with full hair and bald hair ahead of thinning men in attractiveness, confidence, manliness, as well as a few other things. The guys with hair won attractiveness I think, but bald men took down a few categories. The comb over guys just lost across the board. I think there's just something about being unable to age gracefully that exudes lack of confidence.

"Mannes theorizes that it’s the boldness of the act of head-shaving that feeds into the perception of dominance. He’s found that men with thinning hair — those who are presumably just resigning themselves to their own baldness — were rated as less dominant than men who took the initiative to shave their heads altogether"
    http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/2...-and-dominant/

To each their own. I'll buzz my head and lift weights before I resort to a hair transplant or a wispy combover blowing in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThinker View Post
    Haha. Well the "Joe Biden" syndrome thing made me laugh. But, I have to disagree with everything else you've said.

I'd rather be bald than some guy blatantly balding, unable to cope, who resorts to having a "comb back". I read a series of studies recently where women rated men with full hair and bald hair ahead of thinning men in attractiveness, confidence, manliness, as well as a few other things. The guys with hair won attractiveness I think, but bald men took down a few categories. The comb over guys just lost across the board. I think there's just something about being unable to age gracefully that exudes lack of confidence.

"Mannes theorizes that it’s the boldness of the act of head-shaving that feeds into the perception of dominance. He’s found that men with thinning hair — those who are presumably just resigning themselves to their own baldness — were rated as less dominant than men who took the initiative to shave their heads altogether"
    http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/2...-and-dominant/

To each their own. I'll buzz my head and lift weights before I resort to a hair transplant or a wispy combover blowing in the wind.
    I disagree. I think I used the 'worst case scenario' of a norwood 7 guy. I still think Biden looks way better with his face framed than he does bald as an eagle.

And while the 'bald look' looks great on African Americans, and even us white boys can look good in our 20s or so depending on our head shape , it gets rarer and rarer we look good bald at any age. By age 40 we simply do not look good bald.

I am certain the vast majority of guys who choose to do hair transplants do not end up with Joe Biden syndrome however ,for those who do, I still take it rather than being horseshoe bald.

And unless you shave your entire head every day or so......yeah, you can see the horseshoe.

And I am sure that guys who get hair transplants can work out too. Not just bald guys.

By the way, have you considered that proceedure of getting the top of your head DYED to match your horseshoe? Some guys swear by it.

http://advancednjcare.com/Receding__...air_Tattoo.html

I might consider the dye for my strip scar in the back.

If it stops at only thin on top then definitely yes a thick hairline will look great. The bald area is huge though if it ends up going slick. I think people underestimate how many hairs it takes to get coverage. I actually know a guy with thick ridges on the temples and slick elsewhere. There must be a thousand up there but it's just two tiny patches.

Although with those techniques that preserve the donor improving, if you had the money I guess it could be practical to commit to a life of (possible) touch-ups.