Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ktownmatti
    • Oct 2012

Add minox???

I'm currently a NW 2 thinning to a 3. I started on fin and niz 2 months ago. I've had a bit of minor shed, but nothing earth shattering (touch wood). I always thought I'd add minox after a few months.

My fear is that since minox is better at aiding the crown then the hairline, any shedding it causes up front might seal the fate of the partially miniaturized hair there.

Thoughts?
  • Tracy C
    • Sep 2011

If you are even slightly concerned about accelerating the loss of your hair line, you should not even be considering starting Minoxidil now - if ever.

If you feel you need to try to restore your more youthful hair line, wait until you have been on Propecia for at least 18 full months. By that time any hair that is week is more likely to have become strong enough to try. Trying it now could be a very bad idea with irreversible consequences.

Comment

• baldnotbeautiful
      • Oct 2012

Really? Minox can cause irreversible consequences? You're a dumbass. You give horrible advice. Get off these forums.

Comment

• Inspired to achieve
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Ktownmatti
        I'm currently a NW 2 thinning to a 3. I started on fin and niz 2 months ago. I've had a bit of minor shed, but nothing earth shattering (touch wood). I always thought I'd add minox after a few months.

My fear is that since minox is better at aiding the crown then the hairline, any shedding it causes up front might seal the fate of the partially miniaturized hair there.

Thoughts?
        We are at the same cross roads (same NW scale) - I have been on Fin & RegenePure Dr. for 4 months with no real aesthetic change except for hair quality improving slightly...

I too had a very minor shed, if that. I am a little worried that i won't respond as well based on the fact that Dr's say shedding is the first sign of the treatment working. Any thoughts on this?

As for your question about pulling the trigger too early with Min - I think yes. I'm going to wait until the full 12 months of Fin has been completed before i take on another treatment.

These first 6 months on Fin are the hardest from what i've read - apparently things start to improve closer to 12 months.

Comment

• Tracy C
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by baldnotbeautiful
          Really? Minox can cause irreversible consequences?
          On a males hair line it certainly can. Minoxidil does not work in the hair line for most males. In some cases using Minoxidil on the hair line will accelerate the recession and the hair that sheds out won't grow back. Every male who intends to try using Minoxidil on their hair line needs to know that.

You're a dumb^$%.
          Far from it.

You give horrible advice. Get off these forums.
          Contact the forum administrators and complain about me. Lets see just how far you get with that.

Comment

• ravegrover
            • Jan 2011

I started Minox & Nizoral 2% after abt 6 years on Fin (thanks Tracy for sound advise). 10 mo later I see regrowth in mid-scalp area and some in frontal areas (hairline) too.

Comment

• Tracy C
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ravegrover
              10 mo later I see regrowth in mid-scalp area and some in frontal areas (hairline) too.
              You are a very lucky man if you are able to regrow hair in your hair line. You should be buying lottery tickets on a regular basis. Haha

Some males can, most males can't - and unfortunately some males can make the problem worse by trying to use it on their hair line. Every male who intends to use Minoxidil on his hair lines needs to know that so they can make a fully informed decision about trying it or not.

Comment

• mmmcoffee
                • Oct 2012

just for the sake of debating: why are you so adamant about that fact Tracy? wheres the scientific proof of that? What is anatomically different about your crown hair from your hairline hair that would warrant a different physical response?

When you say regrowth, do mean completely miniaturized hairs coming back or the hairs you initially shed coming back? While I agree its rare for completely miniaturized hair to come back on the hair line or any where on your head, I would argue it would be extremely rare for hair that is shed from minoxidil on the hairline to NOT come back

Comment

• mmmcoffee
                  • Oct 2012

ive been using it on my hair line for 2.5 months and while thats way too early to see results, I will say it hasnt gotten worse other than losing a bit of density due to the initial shed. I fully expect it to improve back to where it was, and fully expect it to be thicker/fuller...even if that improvement is marginal at best.

It just doesnt seem logical for your hair to respond in one area of your head and not in the other. If your hairline hair doesnt respond to rogaine, why would it shed? its just completely illogical to me that it would accelerate hair loss.

my guess would be those who used it on their hairline and experienced a loss of hair that never came back, well their alopecia was just progressing, not from the treatment

im not attacking you, im just ranting a little while trying to stir a debate

Comment

• mpb47
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by mmmcoffee
                    ive been using it on my hair line for 2.5 months and while thats way too early to see results, I will say it hasnt gotten worse other than losing a bit of density due to the initial shed. I fully expect it to improve back to where it was, and fully expect it to be thicker/fuller...even if that improvement is marginal at best.

It just doesnt seem logical for your hair to respond in one area of your head and not in the other. If your hairline hair doesnt respond to rogaine, why would it shed? its just completely illogical to me that it would accelerate hair loss.

my guess would be those who used it on their hairline and experienced a loss of hair that never came back, well their alopecia was just progressing, not from the treatment

im not attacking you, im just ranting a little while trying to stir a debate
                    Tracy is normally pretty much on the money and has helped me with some of my weird faq like ?'s (I like stats which helps me deal with it for reasons hard to explain=misery loves company I guess).

With that said, here is my take on minox on the hairline:
                    I started on minox way before propicia but that was because propecia was not really available at that time.
                    It did not seem to accelerate loss but did grow some tiny hairs but they were not really usable if that make sense. This could be due to the variation of the mpb that my family inherits. Hairline recedes very early, crown starts much much later but then develops much faster than hairline recedes. When I added propcicia I got real hair up front and back...fwiw.

Comment

• Tracy C
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mmmcoffee
                      just for the sake of debating: why are you so adamant about that fact Tracy? wheres the scientific proof of that? What is anatomically different about your crown hair from your hairline hair that would warrant a different physical response?
                      There is no need for debate. This has been known for a very long time. You can find all this information by simply reading the legitimate information that is available about Minoxidil from legitimate sources - like the instructions that came with the medicine. I am not making this stuff up. Read and learn. That's how I did it.

This limitation to treating hereditary hair loss is specific to males. This does not apply to females... Why?.. The reason is because males normally develop a natural and normal adult mature male hair line. You know, that hair line that so many members refuse to accept exists in spite of the over whelming evidence to support it that is all around us... Everywhere!!! This natural and normal adult mature male hair line is not MPB. Minoxidil is for treating MPB and FPB. Minoxidil is not intended to prevent the natural and normal adult mature male hair line from developing. You need strong prescription anti-androgens and a doctors supervision to prevent that - or get yourself castrated. In fact males can accelerate the development of the natural and normal adult mature male hair line if they use Minoxidil to try to prevent it. Some members of this very forum learned this hard unpleasant fact the hard way.

It is true that some males can regrow hair in their hair lines - but most males cannot. This has been known of Minoxidil for a very very very very long time. The reason is because the natural and normal adult mature male hair line is a natural and normal male physical trait. Like bigger hands, bigger feet, deeper voice, facial hair and so on. It is not MPB.

If you are one of those lucky few males who has been able to regrow hair in your hair line with Minoxidil, that's great! I am very happy for you - but that is not the norm.

Comment

• ravegrover
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Tracy C
                        If you are one of those lucky few males who has been able to regrow hair in your hair line with Minoxidil, that's great!
                        see attached. 10months on Fin, Minox & Niz
                        Attached Files

Comment

• mpb47
                          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Tracy C
                          There is no need for debate. This has been known for a very long time. You can find all this information by simply reading the legitimate information that is available about Minoxidil from legitimate sources - like the instructions that came with the medicine. I am not making this stuff up. Read and learn. That's how I did it.

This limitation to treating hereditary hair loss is specific to males. This does not apply to females... Why?.. The reason is because males normally develop a natural and normal adult mature male hair line. You know, that hair line that so many members refuse to accept exists in spite of the over whelming evidence to support it that is all around us... Everywhere!!! This natural and normal adult mature male hair line is not MPB. Minoxidil is for treating MPB and FPB. Minoxidil is not intended to prevent the natural and normal adult mature male hair line from developing. You need strong prescription anti-androgens and a doctors supervision to prevent that - or get yourself castrated. In fact males can accelerate the development of the natural and normal adult mature male hair line if they use Minoxidil to try to prevent it. Some members of this very forum learned this hard unpleasant fact the hard way.

It is true that some males can regrow hair in their hair lines - but most males cannot. This has been known of Minoxidil for a very very very very long time. The reason is because the natural and normal adult mature male hair line is a natural and normal male physical trait. Like bigger hands, bigger feet, deeper voice, facial hair and so on. It is not MPB.

If you are one of those lucky few males who has been able to regrow hair in your hair line with Minoxidil, that's great! I am very happy for you - but that is not the norm.
                          Tracy,
                          I think there was some confusion (at least for me) that you were talking about the "mature hairline" and not anything beyond that (ie stage 3).

FWIW Hamilton agrees with you...here is some snippets I found on the net

This is from:
                          "Effect of Castration in Adolescent and Young Adult Males Upon Further
                          Changes in the Proportions of Bare and Hairy Scalp". James B. Hamilton. The Journal of Clinical
                          Endocrinology and Metabolism, Volume 20, October, 1960.

"A study of 21 adolescent and young adult males, before castration and for eight to eighteen years
                          afterwards, showed that after orchiectomy there was no development of male pattern baldness (MPB)
                          nor of any grossly recognizable denudation of the scalp."

And what I think you were referring to:

"Even the usual frontal and frontoparietal recessions of the hair line failed to appear in the 3 males who
                          had been castrated at 15 or 16 years of age when they still had Type 1 scalp hair. Failure of hair-line recession to develop in these 3 males during the succeeding 16 to 17 years is noteworthy, since 94% of
                          intact males would have acquired bare areas on at least the anterior scalp."

But if they have already lost that hair then it's too late:

"After
                          castration, no increase in the number of coarse hairs was detected in bald or sparsely-haired areas of
                          the frontal hairline. It is concluded that the remedial value of drastic reduction in androgenic stimulation
                          is probably nil with regard to return of coarse hairs which have been lost along the frontal hairline in
                          young men."

They were stuck with what loss they had before the deed was done, but they didn't progress any further:

"The 14 males with small frontoparietal recessions at the time of orchiectomy did not acquire bare areas
                          on the crown of the head or further extensions of frontal...recessions of the hairline."

Comment

• mmmcoffee
                            • Oct 2012

Maybe I am using the wrong terms then Tracy - I am using it on the front of my scalp...corners of hairline...frontal lobe etc...i expect results there, i dont expect my receding hairline to regrow from a NW2 to a NW1. I agree the "mature" hairline exists, I have it. My hair is thinning and receding to a NW3, which I expect rogaine to help stop or slow down, not speed up.

and the directions for rogaine say dont use on hairline because it was never tested and FDA approved for use there...not because its not effective.

i am also on fin, however, which leads me to believe more in my potential results in the front with rogaine (+fin)

Comment

• Ktownmatti
                              • Oct 2012

I guess I will hold off on the rogaine for a while.

I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on a transplant this summer, but I am still curious if I could be one of the lucky ones to benefit from rogaine upfront.

Comment

Working...