Add minox???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jcm800
    • Jan 2011

Tracy C, just curious to know if you'd recommend a loved one to get on finasteride, if they were losing their hair?

Comment

• Tracy C
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Jcm800
      Tracy C, just curious to know if you'd recommend a loved one to get on finasteride, if they were losing their hair?
      My 19 and 21 year old nephews have been on Finasteride for some time now. I have cousins in my age group who have been on Finasterie for some time as well. None of my loved ones who are talking Finasteride have experienced any side effects at all. I know several other males who take 5mg per day for medical reasons. They have not experienced side effects either.

No I would not recommend anyone to go onto a prescription medication. I would advise them to talk to a doctor. The question was about what I would do if I were in that situation though. I answered that question honestly.

Comment

• Jcm800
        • Jan 2011

Fair enough, was just curious thanks.

Comment

• Ktownmatti
          • Oct 2012

Couple more pics...

Thanx mmmcoffee... Been pretty lucky to keep this much hair for so long considering my younger brother was forced to shave his head at NW 4 at age 28.

Tracy, I think your advice is sound, but I'm not sure if I have the patience to execute it. I would really like to get my hairline strengthened and temples filled in a touch and stay. I would stay on meds to keep and maybe thicken up the vertex (crown seems to be ok)

Of course the longer I'm on fin, the more resistant I would be to shock loss up front, so I'm wrestling whether or not to pull the trigger now as its a 6 month wait to see the surgeon I want. I had a consult back in November and he estimated 2500 grafts.

We may have a disagreement over hairline design as I want to keep the one I have, and he wants to place it slightly higher where my forelock is thinning.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Ktownmatti
            • Oct 2012

Another one..
            Attached Files

Comment

• drybone
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by baldnotbeautiful
              Really? Minox can cause irreversible consequences? You're a dumbass. You give horrible advice. Get off these forums.
              I have to disagree. I have found Tracy to be very informative . She gives up her time to come here and help us out. I think we should appreciate her efforts instead of trying to be a smart mouth about it.

Comment

• mpb47
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Tracy C
                My 19 and 21 year old nephews have been on Finasteride for some time now. I have cousins in my age group who have been on Finasterie for some time as well. None of my loved ones who are talking Finasteride have experienced any side effects at all. I know several other males who take 5mg per day for medical reasons. They have not experienced side effects either.

No I would not recommend anyone to go onto a prescription medication. I would advise them to talk to a doctor. The question was about what I would do if I were in that situation though. I answered that question honestly.
                Tracy,
                Just curious , did you counsel them or tell them about it or did they find out about it some other way?

Comment

• Tracy C
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mpb47
                  Tracy,
                  Just curious , did you counsel them or tell them about it or did they find out about it some other way?
                  Though I did counsel my cousins and nephews to stay away from hair loss forums, I never counseled any them about getting on Finasteride. They spoke to their doctors about it. I did tell them about using Nizoral A-D shampoo once a week and sulfate free shampoo and conditioner for their regular washing. Both my nephews did ask me about Rogaine, but one of them really doesn't need Rogaine at this time. They are both young enough that their hair will likely thicken up without adding Rogaine - but the older one does have a visible bald spot starting. So he is using Rogaine once a day as part of his regimen.

Comment

• Tracy C
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Ktownmatti
                    Tracy, I think your advice is sound, but I'm not sure if I have the patience to execute it.
                    You will be much better off if you wait it out. Surgery should always be the absolute last resort. If you are responding well to the meds, you might find that you won't need surgery - if you allow reasonable time for the meds to do their job.

Keep in mind that it could take up to 18 months before you can see the final results of surgery... Treating hereditary hair loss is a painfully slow process.

Another reason surgery is the last resort is the possibility of shock loss. I experienced shock loss with my second procedure. Thankfully it finally recovered but dang it took a long time to do so.

Originally posted by Ktownmatti
                    We may have a disagreement over hairline design as I want to keep the one I have, and he wants to place it slightly higher where my forelock is thinning.
                    An ethical doctor is going to want to re-create the most natural looking age appropriate hair line for you as possible - while remaining mindful about future loss. This is especially true for younger guys.

Comment

• Exodus
                      • Nov 2012

If I were a guy I would first start with Propecia or generic Finasteride and Nizoral A-D shampoo or Regenepure shampoo. I would start with the pill once a day every other day for a while before ramping up to twice a day. I would use Nizoral A-D or Regenepure once a week in place of my regular shampoo. After being on the full daily dose of Finasteride for at least a full year. I would then re-evaluate my situation and if it looks stable but none has thickened up, then I taper onto Rogaine foam slowly over time.
                      I presume you mean once a day? Im tempted to buy Fin and see how it goes, if sides kick in then I'll plan a new strategy. Hopefully 0.5mg per day would suffice. Bear in mind Im keeping my hair pretty much to stubble and thats all I want to retain. I've accepted Im not getting lusicous long hair that I can braid and play with, Id rather just have full stubble coverage.

Comment

• mpb47
                        • Apr 2012

Though I did counsel my cousins and nephews to stay away from hair loss forums, I never counseled any them about getting on Finasteride. They spoke to their doctors about it. I did tell them about using Nizoral A-D shampoo once a week and sulfate free shampoo and conditioner for their regular washing. Both my nephews did ask me about Rogaine, but one of them really doesn't need Rogaine at this time. They are both young enough that their hair will likely thicken up without adding Rogaine - but the older one does have a visible bald spot starting. So he is using Rogaine once a day as part of his regimen.
                        How did you bring it up? I have large family (cousins) who have severe mpb on both sides. At Christmas I could see the oldest (20) is starting and it's a good bet the others won't be far behind. I don't know if I should say anything or not and if so how to bring it up?

He may not even care about it as he has always been very popular and has recently got married.

Comment

• Tracy C
                          • Sep 2011

How did you bring it up?
                          They asked me. Everyone in my family noticed that I am getting my hair back. They ask questions about how I did it. I am very open about treating it.

Comment

• mmmcoffee
                            • Oct 2012

How did you bring it up? I have large family (cousins) who have severe mpb on both sides. At Christmas I could see the oldest (20) is starting and it's a good bet the others won't be far behind. I don't know if I should say anything or not and if so how to bring it up?

He may not even care about it as he has always been very popular and has recently got married.
                            think about it if it were you, would you want someone to tell you early so you could start treatment early and save a lot of hair or wait till they notice it, and they are behind in treating.

Comment

• mpb47
                              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by mmmcoffee
                              think about it if it were you, would you want someone to tell you early so you could start treatment early and save a lot of hair or wait till they notice it, and they are behind in treating.
                              Well back when I was his age there was no way to stop it. I am not sure what to do..that is why I was asking her. When I was 17-18 I was really insecure about it and did not handle it well esp when 2 girls in class would tease me about it.

Part of me wants to really save my family but what if they are offended or do not care? The only one that I know that might care is his mom who has repeatably made comments about how I have great hair - how come I have not lost it? But that is her, not her son.

He has his "act together" far-far better than me at that age. To put it bluntly, he has a smokin hot wife plus a newborn so he is already past the point of really needing hair. Don't know his wife as well as I should but I really don't think that would ever be an issue with her as he has a strong athletic career ahead of him . But just not sure not what to do...my side of family has very slow but eventually severe mpb. Other side of his family has pretty fast and severe mpb. So I really don't think he or the rest of the younger boys can escape it. I have even thought about emailing him anonymously to give in some basic info without the risk of embarrassment. He is just starting so I have time to decide what to do. So frustrating on deciding on what is right thing to do ......

d have suggested meds, not that any were readability available back then.

Comment

• mpb47
                                • Apr 2012

They asked me. Everyone in my family noticed that I am getting my hair back. They ask questions about how I did it. I am very open about treating it.

Ok thanks...you got the easy way out Thought maybe you had approached them.

Comment

Working...