+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Add minox???

Tracy C, just curious to know if you'd recommend a loved one to get on finasteride, if they were losing their hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcm800 View Post
    Tracy C, just curious to know if you'd recommend a loved one to get on finasteride, if they were losing their hair?
    My 19 and 21 year old nephews have been on Finasteride for some time now. I have cousins in my age group who have been on Finasterie for some time as well. None of my loved ones who are talking Finasteride have experienced any side effects at all. I know several other males who take 5mg per day for medical reasons. They have not experienced side effects either.

No I would not recommend anyone to go onto a prescription medication. I would advise them to talk to a doctor. The question was about what I would do if I were in that situation though. I answered that question honestly.

Fair enough, was just curious thanks.

Couple more pics...

Thanx mmmcoffee... Been pretty lucky to keep this much hair for so long considering my younger brother was forced to shave his head at NW 4 at age 28.

Tracy, I think your advice is sound, but I'm not sure if I have the patience to execute it. I would really like to get my hairline strengthened and temples filled in a touch and stay. I would stay on meds to keep and maybe thicken up the vertex (crown seems to be ok)

Of course the longer I'm on fin, the more resistant I would be to shock loss up front, so I'm wrestling whether or not to pull the trigger now as its a 6 month wait to see the surgeon I want. I had a consult back in November and he estimated 2500 grafts.

We may have a disagreement over hairline design as I want to keep the one I have, and he wants to place it slightly higher where my forelock is thinning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg

Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	19008  

Another one..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg

Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	19009  

Quote Originally Posted by baldnotbeautiful View Post
    Really? Minox can cause irreversible consequences? You're a dumbass. You give horrible advice. Get off these forums.
    I have to disagree. I have found Tracy to be very informative . She gives up her time to come here and help us out. I think we should appreciate her efforts instead of trying to be a smart mouth about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    My 19 and 21 year old nephews have been on Finasteride for some time now. I have cousins in my age group who have been on Finasterie for some time as well. None of my loved ones who are talking Finasteride have experienced any side effects at all. I know several other males who take 5mg per day for medical reasons. They have not experienced side effects either.

No I would not recommend anyone to go onto a prescription medication. I would advise them to talk to a doctor. The question was about what I would do if I were in that situation though. I answered that question honestly.
    Tracy,
    Just curious , did you counsel them or tell them about it or did they find out about it some other way?

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    Tracy,
    Just curious , did you counsel them or tell them about it or did they find out about it some other way?
    Though I did counsel my cousins and nephews to stay away from hair loss forums, I never counseled any them about getting on Finasteride. They spoke to their doctors about it. I did tell them about using Nizoral A-D shampoo once a week and sulfate free shampoo and conditioner for their regular washing. Both my nephews did ask me about Rogaine, but one of them really doesn't need Rogaine at this time. They are both young enough that their hair will likely thicken up without adding Rogaine - but the older one does have a visible bald spot starting. So he is using Rogaine once a day as part of his regimen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktownmatti View Post
    Tracy, I think your advice is sound, but I'm not sure if I have the patience to execute it.
    You will be much better off if you wait it out. Surgery should always be the absolute last resort. If you are responding well to the meds, you might find that you won't need surgery - if you allow reasonable time for the meds to do their job.

Keep in mind that it could take up to 18 months before you can see the final results of surgery... Treating hereditary hair loss is a painfully slow process.

Another reason surgery is the last resort is the possibility of shock loss. I experienced shock loss with my second procedure. Thankfully it finally recovered but dang it took a long time to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktownmatti View Post
    We may have a disagreement over hairline design as I want to keep the one I have, and he wants to place it slightly higher where my forelock is thinning.
    An ethical doctor is going to want to re-create the most natural looking age appropriate hair line for you as possible - while remaining mindful about future loss. This is especially true for younger guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    If I were a guy I would first start with Propecia or generic Finasteride and Nizoral A-D shampoo or Regenepure shampoo. I would start with the pill once a day every other day for a while before ramping up to twice a day. I would use Nizoral A-D or Regenepure once a week in place of my regular shampoo. After being on the full daily dose of Finasteride for at least a full year. I would then re-evaluate my situation and if it looks stable but none has thickened up, then I taper onto Rogaine foam slowly over time.
    I presume you mean once a day? Im tempted to buy Fin and see how it goes, if sides kick in then I'll plan a new strategy. Hopefully 0.5mg per day would suffice. Bear in mind Im keeping my hair pretty much to stubble and thats all I want to retain. I've accepted Im not getting lusicous long hair that I can braid and play with, Id rather just have full stubble coverage.