+ Reply to Thread

Default Young Transplant

Hello all, I'm just planning for the future what I would do if I get a HT.. When is the youngest age appropriate for a hair transplant...and If I were say, 26 and I just got my hairline touched up (FUE) and lost more hair later and got a few more hair transplants down the road, if my hairloss progressed, would it be a mess? (assuming no new medicines come out)

Spencer has mentioned many times that it is best to wait to see how your hair loss stabilizes before considering surgery. This makes a lot of sense. It does not make sense for anyone younger than age 30 with less than Norwood III MPB to have hair transplant surgery. Many ethical doctors will not perform hair transplant surgery on younger males who are less than a Norwood III. They have darn good reasons for not doing so.

Not everyone who suffers with MPB is destined to become a Norwood VII. Many men stop somewhere along the Norwood scale and stabilized there for many years - even decades. Unfortunately there is no way to know where you will settle on the Norwood scale until you get there.

However, it is a whole lot easier to prevent further hair loss than it is to reverse hair loss that has already happened. If you can take the medicine that can slow it down or stop it, it is a good idea to do so. I am meeting more and more men who only take 1.25mg of generic Finasteride every other day and then use Rogaine foam only in the evening. This seems to be working well for them. Or so they tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Spencer has mentioned many times that it is best to wait to see how your hair loss stabilizes before considering surgery. This makes a lot of sense. It does not make sense for anyone younger than age 30 with less than Norwood III MPB to have hair transplant surgery. Many ethical doctors will not perform hair transplant surgery on younger males who are less than a Norwood III. They have darn good reasons for not doing so.

Not everyone who suffers with MPB is destined to become a Norwood VII. Many men stop somewhere along the Norwood scale and stabilized there for many years - even decades. Unfortunately there is no way to know where you will settle on the Norwood scale until you get there.

However, it is a whole lot easier to prevent further hair loss than it is to reverse hair loss that has already happened. If you can take the medicine that can slow it down or stop it, it is a good idea to do so. I am meeting more and more men who only take 1.25mg of generic Finasteride every other day and then use Rogaine foam only in the evening. This seems to be working well for them. Or so they tell me.

Thank you very much Tracy, I appreciate you sharing your wealth of knowledge. That is good to know.

Tracy

I have always been a little concerned on this issue.

I personally have experienced very slow MPB, so I never had to put my question to the test .

It is my understanding that minox and propecia do NOT stop the balding process. They slow it down.

Has there been some case study where some guy used the stuff for 20 or 30 years and he still has the same or MORE hair then when he started?

Because if it just slows it down, which is what I believe, then i would only recommend it for guys in their 20s to delay looking prematurely aged.

For the rest of us , you are right about the Norwood levels. Some of us hit Nowrood 2 and sit there for decades but I do believe the vast majority of us hit Nowrood 7 by time we are 80.

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    Tracy

I have always been a little concerned on this issue.

I personally have experienced very slow MPB, so I never had to put my question to the test .

It is my understanding that minox and propecia do NOT stop the balding process. They slow it down.

Has there been some case study where some guy used the stuff for 20 or 30 years and he still has the same or MORE hair then when he started?

Because if it just slows it down, which is what I believe, then i would only recommend it for guys in their 20s to delay looking prematurely aged.

For the rest of us , you are right about the Norwood levels. Some of us hit Nowrood 2 and sit there for decades but I do believe the vast majority of us hit Nowrood 7 by time we are 80.

There hasn't been any studies over 20 years because it hasn't been used to treat hairloss long enough, but I've heard of people on it for 15+ years that haven't lost any since being on it. Also, the 10 year study showed that 86% of the users stayed at or above baseline for the 10 years they were on it. Reality is, in 10 more years propecia won't be used because of future treatments in the making. Propecia's effectiveness varies from patient to patient though.

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheLoss View Post
    There hasn't been any studies over 20 years because it hasn't been used to treat hairloss long enough, but I've heard of people on it for 15+ years that haven't lost any since being on it. Also, the 10 year study showed that 86% of the users stayed at or above baseline for the 10 years they were on it. Reality is, in 10 more years propecia won't be used because of future treatments in the making. Propecia's effectiveness varies from patient to patient though.
    Thanks man. I would like some more information on it but I appreciate the feedback.

I am a 33 year old male that's been losing my hair since my early 20's. I am currently a Norwood 5 (receding hairline and thinning in the crown) and I'm planning on having a hair restoration surgery at the end of this year. I'm thinking about having the procedure done by Dr. Daniel Mcgrath. Has anyone had a transplant by him before??? He seems knowledgeable and genuine. Please help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NeedUrgentHelp View Post
    I am a 33 year old male that's been losing my hair since my early 20's. I am currently a Norwood 5 (receding hairline and thinning in the crown) and I'm planning on having a hair restoration surgery at the end of this year. I'm thinking about having the procedure done by Dr. Daniel Mcgrath. Has anyone had a transplant by him before??? He seems knowledgeable and genuine. Please help!!!
    You should really start your own thread for this question.