+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help need serious advise

hello, im only 17 and have had a receeding hairline ever since i can remember but usually have my hair cut to a short back and sides with a fringe to the side, however over the past year my hairloss has devastated me, my hair has thinned out so bad and my hairline is literally a triangle, i was wonderin what my options are ive read about propecia and the side effects scare the life out of me is there a big chance i'll get them? also as my hair is so thin ive read about concellers that make the hair appear thicker but again i dont know much on this so any replies would be welcome, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by billysw9 View Post
    hello, im only 17 and have had a receeding hairline ever since i can remember but usually have my hair cut to a short back and sides with a fringe to the side, however over the past year my hairloss has devastated me, my hair has thinned out so bad and my hairline is literally a triangle, i was wonderin what my options are ive read about propecia and the side effects scare the life out of me is there a big chance i'll get them? also as my hair is so thin ive read about concellers that make the hair appear thicker but again i dont know much on this so any replies would be welcome, thank you
    Hello, welcome to the forum. To treat hair loss the following are most effective, propecia ( it works well but it inhibits DHT in your body which is a hormone responsible for all kinds of functions in your body so supressing it as you know can cause problems in some people, you need to weigh up the pro's and cons and decide whats best for you) then there is minoxidil, or rogaine as its often branded, which is a topical solution (applied twice daily) that can regrow and thicken hair at the crown and sometimes (not often) the hairline but it takes around 6 months to a year to see results with it. Then there is Nizoral shampoo that you use alongside propecia or minoxidil but not on its own as it's not an answer to hairloss in its own right but allows the other two to work a little more effectively. Combining all three gives the best results.
    Don't be fooled into buying natural remedies or herbal tablets, or any of these "breakthrough in hair loss treatment" lotions, that's all nonsense and a waste of your time and money. the three things that work are propecia, minoxidil (rogaine) and Nizoral when combined with propecia or minoxidil or both. Concealers are basically you painting or dusting your head to make the hair look thicker however rain, swimming, sweating will become a problem and in certain light they don't look natural. As more hair disappears over time the less effective and more obvious concealers will be.
    Or lastly, my preferred method of combating hairloss is the electric clippers with a number one guard on it.

i wouldnt mind shaving my head but honestly my headshape is very weird i get comments about it even with hair even though im not ugly with a shaved head i feel i would be, i have a small face and then a very large forehead it just wouldnt look right, plus at 17 i just dont think it would suit

i wouldnt mind shaving my head but honestly my headshape is very weird i get comments about it even with hair even though im not ugly with a shaved head i feel i would be, i have a small face and then a very large forehead it just wouldnt look right, plus at 17 i just dont think it would suit
    I hear this a lot, people saying "but I have a weird head shape" when in fact they don't. everyone's head's are shaped differently some have spherical heads (like karl pilkington) and some people have contoured heads, it's not weird it's normal. Plus if you shaved your head your forehead would look smaller not bigger.
    A plus would be people would get used to seeing you with a shaved head from an early age and as your hair loss progresses throughout your twenties people are less likely to notice or even care because by this point they are already used to your shaved head. And you'd get to avoid all the mess and hassle that is hair retention treatments like I've listed above. Give it a go you might as well.

Hi.

17 is very young to have male pattern baldness. We know how frustrating our hairline can become , so lets see what we can do.

Can you put up a few pictures of your hair and hairline so we can see what kind of hairloss we are talking about. Then some of our experienced members can give you some advice on how to proceed.

When I was 16, I buzzed my hair for the first time in my life. Like it happened yesterday, I remember this pudgy little douche of a kid laughing and commenting on the shape of my head while I was sitting next to a girl I had a huge crush on. To this day, it still is the only thing that's kept me from clipping all my hair off. I continually wonder: if that hadn't happened, would I have already clipped my head and had no beef with it? Hard to say.

There's no real advise in what I'm saying - I just know that feel, bro (in relation to head shape). Do your best to stay strong, and find healthy things like academics and exercise/sport to get your mind off your hair if it should continue to deteriorate. I've wasted ~5 months letting my hair quality play a role in my self-esteem and well-being. It isn't worth it.

Kind regards, young man.

I dont recommend concealars. No matter how hard you try, this stuff doesnt look natural and everyone will make fun of you. See a doctor and possibly, start Fin.

You're balding.

Get on fin, and risk sexual side effects, or don't.

Also, minox and nizoral, growth stim and anti androgen shampoo, but are less effective without a DHT blocker of some kind.

thanks for all the responses, any idea of where i can get propecia online? i live in london, also a recommended concealer?

thanks for all the responses, any idea of where i can get propecia online? i live in london, also a recommended concealer?
    Go and see your doctor about the propecia so you can get a prescription for it, its important for him or her to know you are taking it in case of any side effects and if you are prescribed another medicine in the future for another condition he / she needs to know if the propecia is going to effect that medication. Also if you have any blood tests done in the future they will need to know you're on propecia etc.
    You can get it online but you need to let your doctor know you are taking it, taking it unsupervised would be irresponsible.