+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    628

    Default

    If your hair loss isn't concealable, you need to bring out the big guns ASAP! No one should know except you. And even then, only in your heart of hearts.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Exodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aames View Post
    If your hair loss isn't concealable, you need to bring out the big guns ASAP! No one should know except you. And even then, only in your heart of hearts.


    Big guns right?

  3. #23
    Senior Member mpb47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by youngandearly View Post
    I've always had a receding hairline my whole life (started at a NW2+) , so I assume it's slightly easier for me than for most (who started at NW1/0). Even thought I'm used to it, the comments and jokes are really wearing on me. For some reason bald/balding men are open targets in our society. MPB is simply a matter of genetics, no different than race, height, etc.. For some reason it's considered totally acceptable to mock/comment when its no more a choice than the colour of your skin. If I were to make a comment about someone's race I'd be crucified (figuratively), but when someone makes a joke about my hairline it's considered perfectly acceptable. I really do feel for anyone who's balder than I am, considering the public stigma associated with it and the effect it has on your appearance. I wish that people understood/respected that its not a choice and how sensitive of an issue it can be for people. Just my 2cents, I'd like some of your opinions though.
    You are right in the fact that people will bring it up, even if they they mean no ill intent. I don't know why they do it, but they do. Like you don't already know. But at the same time you may be misinterpreting comments as insults.

    The true insults, if any, will cease as you get older, but the comments will probably continue. I think the only true insults I ever got was from 2 girls in high school and a guy in college. That poor guy is totally bald now so he knows how it feels and then some.


    But as I got older, I only got "beat around the bush" comments from female friends and my cousin. Well one did tease me a bit but she has dated plenty of bald guys and the comments had no ill intent. Another one more recently, was not happy that her boyfriend would not try treatment. He went from near Brad Pitt hair to a 5 plus in about 10 years time,. She basically told me that there was no reason I had to go through the same and should about get on propecia right away.

    Yea it embarrassed me a bit but there was no ill intent. And I had a few more like comments from other friends but you get the idea.


    so no, I don't know why people do it, but they do, even if you loss is not very noticeable.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by youngandearly View Post
    I've always had a receding hairline my whole life (started at a NW2+) , so I assume it's slightly easier for me than for most (who started at NW1/0). Even thought I'm used to it, the comments and jokes are really wearing on me. For some reason bald/balding men are open targets in our society. MPB is simply a matter of genetics, no different than race, height, etc.. For some reason it's considered totally acceptable to mock/comment when its no more a choice than the colour of your skin. If I were to make a comment about someone's race I'd be crucified (figuratively), but when someone makes a joke about my hairline it's considered perfectly acceptable. I really do feel for anyone who's balder than I am, considering the public stigma associated with it and the effect it has on your appearance. I wish that people understood/respected that its not a choice and how sensitive of an issue it can be for people. Just my 2cents, I'd like some of your opinions though.
    If fairness man, people will find anything in others just to take the piss - it's not just MPB or baldness. I know a lot of blokes who just laugh it off, even referring to themselves as baldy. Like any form of slagging, if you let people see they are getting to you, they will only continue to slag you. If you ignore it, or even laugh it off, they will quickly get over the slagging.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    [B]If we want to be happy in this life then we must become flawless. There are no alternatives.
    Maybe shes born with it? Maybe it's maybelline!

  6. #26
    Senior Member Exodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    You're right. The only solution is to let ourselves go to waste and laugh off the insults.

    How about being in a continual state of self-improvement?

    Would you rather they take the piss out of your bald head, or how much of a perfectionist you are for having a perfect body?

    People only joke at someone else's appearance when they know you are vulnerable and don't have the ability to shut them down. Is a fat, ugly, NW7 going to joke about how I look? Of course not. He knows that if he tried - based on whatever flaw he perceives me to have - he not only come across as being ridiculous, but also shut down in a matter of seconds.

    I live my life in such a way that I'm not ashamed of what I do. People can insult me for caring about my appearance, but to me that is meaningless. People don't know what I do behind closed doors, they only see the end result.

    If we want to be happy in this life then we must become flawless. There are no alternatives.

    You're either aesthetic or pathetic. That's life.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    Maybe shes born with it? Maybe it's maybelline!

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    You're right. The only solution is to let ourselves go to waste and laugh off the insults.

    How about being in a continual state of self-improvement?

    Would you rather they take the piss out of your bald head, or how much of a perfectionist you are for having a perfect body?

    People only joke at someone else's appearance when they know you are vulnerable and don't have the ability to shut them down. Is a fat, ugly, NW7 going to joke about how I look? Of course not. He knows that if he tried - based on whatever flaw he perceives me to have - he not only come across as being ridiculous, but also shut down in a matter of seconds.

    I live my life in such a way that I'm not ashamed of what I do. People can insult me for caring about my appearance, but to me that is meaningless. People don't know what I do behind closed doors, they only see the end result.

    If we want to be happy in this life then we must become flawless. There are no alternatives.

    You're either aesthetic or pathetic. That's life.
    It is sad how much I relate to this post. I've even seen a therapist about this but it didn't do any good. I think I would rather be dead than to accept anything less than perfection in my appearance.

Similar Threads

  1. Comments, criticism;
    By clandestine in forum Coping with Hair Loss in Everyday Life
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-23-2013, 03:57 PM
  2. 23 and struggling dealing with this
    By TheSuburbs in forum Coping with Hair Loss in Everyday Life
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
  3. first post! 18 yrs old, got first comments
    By That Dude in forum Introduce Yourself & Share Your Story
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2012, 02:20 PM
  4. 23 nw6 & comments
    By Smega in forum Introduce Yourself & Share Your Story
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 07:06 PM
  5. Dealing With Hairloss (Age 20)
    By ThomasW in forum Introduce Yourself & Share Your Story
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 10:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

Should I shave - need truth
Today 12:00 PM
by rreidu
Last Post By rreidu
Today 12:00 PM
Dr. B. Farjo - 2000 FUT
Today 08:07 AM
Last Post By Pete from Farjo
Today 08:07 AM
Considering Adding low dose dut
10-14-2013 06:37 PM
Today 07:40 AM
Do NOT Have a Hair Transplant!!!
09-26-2016 04:30 PM
Today 07:36 AM
The doctor's plight - Concerned Observer
Today 04:40 AM
Last Post By hairturkey
Today 04:40 AM