+ Reply to Thread

Default Advice PLEASE!! Rogaine Destroying me?

New to the community and I appreciate any advice. I am 33 years old and have been thinning for years. Especilly at the temples and hairline is receding. Not at the point where i would say its unbearable yet... I quit smoking about one year ago, and since then I hav really taken initiative as far as my well being and overall appearance. Although my appearance has always been important to me. I decided to start taking Rogaine foam back in May of 2010. At first, I really enjoyed it. It was easy to use and actually made my hair appear thicker. About 2 months after I started the rogaine I decided to change my hair style. Started to comb it forward. It looked great, at it did miracles for my receding hairline. My hair looked full and dark and I looked the best I have in a while. I was thrilled!! The Rogaine looked like it was starting to work too. All along my hairline were small growths of peach fuzz like hair that I assumed would eventually blossom into thicker darker hairs. At that point new hair didnt matter, as long as i could maintain what I had I would be more than happy. The summer closed and i hit my 4 month mark. I startyed to notice almost daily that my hairline was not as strong as it was earlier. It started to look spread out and thin even with the new style. Began reading that this was normal,as rogaine would shed hair and regrow thicker hair. So i stuck with it.
    Now here I am, going on my 9th month. I have not seen regrowth to a substantial effect. My hairline and the top of my head are the worst they have ever been. Those little blonde peach fuzz growth hairs that I saw after 2 months still look exactly the same. In fact, I wonder if those were actually hairs that were healthy that just shrunk and lost color. I am so upset, and quite honestly heart broken. I wasnt expecting a miracle, but at least som,ething to pro long the process, not speed it up. If I thought speaking to a doctor would help, i would. But the last time i did he told me it was supposed to happen. Makes sense that it would rid bad hair and re grow stronger hair, but the problem is that it just seems like to much hair to regrow now.
    My dilemma, do I stop the rogaine? Will my hair get worse if I do? Will it get worse if I don't? Is it true? Is this normal? At 9 months of use? What should I do? Propecia is not an option as I have 2 kids and want more, and do not want to risk any type of birth defects? Do I ride this out, or will I be kicking myself in the ass forever? I dont have funds for a HT. My hair is still ok but i fI lose anymore it wont be? There probably arent answers for this dilemma, BUT ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

May 0f 2012, not May of 2010. My mistake

Having never used minox, take my advice with a grain of salt. From what I've read, minox makes miniaturized hair shed and then new thicker, stronger, terminal hairs are grown in their place. If you stop minox after the shed, the hair either won't grow back, or will grow back miniaturized. Stay on the minox if you want to see regrowth. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by youngandearly View Post
    Having never used minox, take my advice with a grain of salt. From what I've read, minox makes miniaturized hair shed and then new thicker, stronger, terminal hairs are grown in their place. If you stop minox after the shed, the hair either won't grow back, or will grow back miniaturized. Stay on the minox if you want to see regrowth. Good luck
    Thanks for the feedback