+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

To anyone who wants to he a smartass like Kayman, the reason I can't go bald is simply because I'm tall, thin, lanky, and wirey with big ears. The only way I look good at all is with HAIR. Yes, I DO believe that looks play a part in people's perception of you in the music world, sad as it is. I don't want to look like another one of those weekend cover band guys wearing a t-shirt and a cap. I want to have some kind of contrast between me (the entertainer) and the "average joe" looking guys standing out in the crowd. The only reason I'm here is because I want to stop my hairloss and start looking the part again. Regardless, bald is not how I want to present myself. This has nothing to do with my validity as a musician. And I wouldn't go on one of those shows you mentioned for any amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldnessfalls View Post
    To anyone who wants to he a smartass like Kayman, the reason I can't go bald is simply because I'm tall, thin, lanky, and wirey with big ears. The only way I look good at all is with HAIR. Yes, I DO believe that looks play a part in people's perception of you in the music world, sad as it is. I don't want to look like another one of those weekend cover band guys wearing a t-shirt and a cap. I want to have some kind of contrast between me (the entertainer) and the "average joe" looking guys standing out in the crowd. The only reason I'm here is because I want to stop my hairloss and start looking the part again. Regardless, bald is not how I want to present myself. This has nothing to do with my validity as a musician. And I wouldn't go on one of those shows you mentioned for any amount of money.
    Then you have nothing to worry about as far as hair loss and being a musician are concerned. I can appreciate you not wanting to go bald because you don't want to be bald man but don't assume it's going to affect your integrity or success as a musician. Just because you're a bald man doesn't mean you're going to end up an average joe playing down the pub on weekends or even look like one for that matter. I find the key to being a good artist is to break the mould or push boundaries, why not try and make the bald image work for you.
    As far as treating your hair loss, you can stabilize it with propecia but you obviously risk the side effects that come with it (not worth it in my opinion), you can try your luck with minoxidil or you can go down the surgery route. Those are your only viable options at this moment in time.
    If you want my advice I would look at trying to reinvent your image. It will be better for you in the long run and might even make you stand out. It worked for Moby, Satriani, Oliveri, Maynard, Billy Corgan, Michael Stipe, the list goes on and on, some even choose to be bald by choice.
    And just to add, don't go down the route of a hairpiece, if word got out that you wore one it's going to make you look insecure and will do less for your image than a shaved head will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    That is not correct. These meds are for treating MPB. They work in the areas that are most commonly affected by MPB - the vertex and mid-anterior. Hair line recession in and of itself is not MPB. Some hair line recession is natural and normal as a male matures - and is not necessarily MPB. The doctor will be able to explain the nature of this to you.
    If it is just starting it probably is just in the hairline. It often doesn't start in the vertex till much later. That is why I tell the younger guys to monitor the back from time to time so they won't be caught off guard.

Ok, all this crap's got me confused!...

...What the heck is lace front? In any case, all this stuff is confusing me!
    Sorry. Didn't mean to confuse you. Perhaps you should just go in for an educational consultation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Sorry. Didn't mean to confuse you. Perhaps you should just go in for an educational consultation.
    I've been for a consultation dealing with transplants. I've also done my research here on this forum. I just didn't know much bout other methods. Perhaps ones that could show me results right now. Such as hair extensions or toppers or the like. Have you seen any good looking results on the hairline with hair extensions?

I've been for a consultation dealing with transplants. I've also done my research here on this forum. I just didn't know much bout other methods. Perhaps ones that could show me results right now. Such as hair extensions or toppers or the like. Have you seen any good looking results on the hairline with hair extensions?
    If you go down the transplant route then you know it's a permanent commitment given that you'll need multiple surgery's as the hair around the transplanted hair continues to shed as time goes on, you'll need more transplants to replace that hair, which leads to scarring, so if in the future you decided to shave your head you're going to have scars to contend with. Plus you're looking at £10,000 per surgery roughly. You really going to go down the route of wearing a wig?

I don't know what instrument you play, but the most respeted guitarist in the world is Paco de Lucia and he's mostly bald on top

And so is Pete Townshend

Quote Originally Posted by Kayman View Post
    If you go down the transplant route then you know it's a permanent commitment given that you'll need multiple surgery's as the hair around the transplanted hair continues to shed as time goes on, you'll need more transplants to replace that hair, which leads to scarring, so if in the future you decided to shave your head you're going to have scars to contend with. Plus you're looking at £10,000 per surgery roughly. You really going to go down the route of wearing a wig?
    Hair systems may have been the order of the day in 1980's, but I would think they would be really lame in a musical context today...anyways I can't speak for the U.K., but it would be really bad image wise in American rock music

Quote Originally Posted by Jcm800 View Post
    And so is Pete Townshend
    Those guys can pull it off. I would look ridiculous bald. Pete Townshend is bald NOW. If he was bald back when The Who was trying to make it big, it would have been a different story. Would Jim Morrison, Robert Plant, Slash, or Steven Tyler have looked as badass or cool if they were bald? No! I'd actually rather be completely slick and bald on top then to have some hair and show that I'm thinning. It just looks bad.

I was actually scheduled for a transplant a few months back. 1500 graft FUE. It was going to cost $8,000. But I backed out due to lack of fincances. But I'm probably going to reschedule it and have it done. I've recently had things come up that are probably going to allow me to have it done now.