+ Reply to Thread

Default How long to wait for results? What kind?

Hi,

I tried rogaine a few years back...i was on a medical drug then, prednisone, so I'm not sure if there was interference there. I haven't been on prednisone for over 12 months..hopefully, never again.

Anyway, I decided to start rogaine again but am wondering about the following:

1) Age - I'm 45....am I past the age where rogaine will help at all?
    2) Type of balding - I look like a class 3-5A with lots and lots of hair on sides and back, but definitely thinning on top and front. I still have hair on frontal top, but crown doesn't have the same amount. There is hair on crown (can feel it), but not the same thickness/number as front.

How long should I use the rogaine and what should I look for to determine it is working?

Also, do I even try propecia due to 1 and 2 above?

Thanks,
    LC.

Welcome.

I am 46 and had my first transplant 2 months ago. Show us a picture of yourself. You can edit it by right clicking and blocking your face out if you wish.

Lets see what kind of hair you have . There are lots of guys on here who can give you great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcall View Post
    1) Age - I'm 45....am I past the age where rogaine will help at all?
    It is not known how old a person can be to see benefit from using Rogaine. The oldest study participant in the study that was performed to gain FDA approval was 50. Therefore Rogaine can only claim to work for up to age 50 - but that does not mean it won't work if you are over 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Lastcall View Post
    How long should I use the rogaine and what should I look for to determine it is working?
    It takes four to six months before you will know if Rogaine is working for you. It takes 12 to 18 months before you will know how well Rogaine is working for you. The best thing to do is to use it for a full year and take good quality photos every four months to compare.

It is a good idea to taper up to the twice a day dose slowly over time. Start with once a day every other day for the first bottle. The once a day every day for the next bottle. Then use it twice a day as directed from then on for a full year. If after a full year of using it twice a day you feel it is not helping you, taper off of it the same way in reverse.

It is also a very good idea to wash your hair once a week with Nizoral A-D or Regenepure shampoo. Now would be a good idea to swap out your regular daily shampoo and conditioner for sulfate free shampoo and conditioner if you haven't already done so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post

It is a good idea to taper up to the twice a day dose slowly over time. Start with once a day every other day for the first bottle. The once a day every day for the next bottle. Then use it twice a day as directed from then on for a full year. If after a full year of using it twice a day you feel it is not helping you, taper off of it the same way in reverse.
    what makes you say this? i havent heard this before, just curious as to the reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpan View Post
    i havent heard this before, just curious as to the reasoning.
    This has been mentioned many, many, many times before. Spencer has even mentioned it during the show more than a few times.

The reasoning for tapering up is to reduce the impact of the temporary shedding associated with treating hereditary hair loss. The same is true for tapering off of the medicine.

Another reason is to reduce the chances of experiencing the possible negative side effects of this or any other medication.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    This has been mentioned many, many, many times before. Spencer has even mentioned it during the show more than a few times.

The reasoning for tapering up is to reduce the impact of the temporary shedding associated with treating hereditary hair loss. The same is true for tapering off of the medicine.

Another reason is to reduce the chances of experiencing the possible negative side effects of this or any other medication.
    well you always hear about tapering up for fin but i'd never heard about it for minox and have read a lot of stuff on the internet regarding hairloss treatment. in fact a google search didnt turn in any results so i dont think its as common knowledge as you seem to think. guess it makes sense though, thanks for the info.

Tracy,

Thanks for the information..did not know about the tapering "up" of rogaine....nor, about the shampoo...I have switched to an all natural shampoo (just started in the last couple of months).... About the Nizoral - is a prescription needed for that, or is the 1% found at Walgreens okay to use?

Thanks!

Oh shoot. I went straight from nothing to 1mg fin every day.

Luckily I have not had any sides or mass shedding