+ Reply to Thread

Default Receeding, young and unsure

Hello people,

I'm 21 and have been receeding for a couple of years now. I'm at the point where it is noticeable and have recieved a few comments from people asking if i'm going bald.

I feel like signing up to this site is the first step as at least I am trying to research and do something about it. I'd say I am a NW2 and have no hair loss at all in the crown. whenever I go out I can style my hair so that it is not noticeable and I am happy with that but I am worried about further loss as when I run my fingers through my hair I shed maybe 5-10 hairs from the front. This doesn't happen everytime i run them through just once a day maybe.

I recently had a hair cut (god i hate it when they comb all your hair forward) which i was very happy with. I had it pretty short and used the usual styling method to cover the hairline and i was really happy with it. I even recieved 2 or 3 comments asking if i had done something different and saying my hair looked good. One guy even asked where I went and said he'd like a similar hair cut. I was so happy that day. But for some reason my hair still grows rapidly, after just over a week my hair felt over grown and didn't look as good.

Anyway back on topic a bit I would be a very happy guy if I had the same amount of hair when I am 30 as I do now. I know the younger you start MPB the younger you are likely to go bald. My father is probably a NW 6 he doesn't have any brothers but his father died with a full head of hair. My mothers father is probably a NW3/4 and he's 75! it does seem as though i've got the gene from my father though

I'm thinking about Propecia, the thing is I know if I opt for it then it is a long term project. Once I start I would have to be on it for a long time and the stuff is expensive! (i'm in the UK thinking of getting it from boots) If I got some and maybe took one tablet every 2 days would that still do the job? I'm so unsure but i don't want to leave it too late i want to save the hair i have.

Hey fella,

I don't live in the UK, and I don't know a whole hell of a lot about boots. However, other members have been talking about it - recently too.

Here's the thread:
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6237

Sounds like the general consensus is that it is a rip-off. That thread should serve useful to inform you of the Big 3 (status quo, widely accepted hairloss treatment regimen), per Spex.

Regards, dude.

Perhaps I can interject (sorry BigT) :P

Well I got a prescription from GP, yet to use it, however, my advice if you wanted a safe reliable supply from a well known store would of course be boots. You can discuss any concerns with a pharmacist and as a rule of thumb they will only give you a 4 week supply of Finasteride (1mg Propecia).

It is expensive and Im sure as you can research there are more cheaper and effective ways such as Proscar 5mg into fifths of Finpecia.

Personally, Id do the GP/Boots route and see how you work out on Fin. As you know there are sides, some get them, some don't. It's really down to you.

On here it is argued and put across that the Big 3 (Finasteride, Rogaine and Nizoral Shampoo) are the best in maintaining hair.

Hope this is a starting point, any questions Im here brah.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Perhaps I can interject (sorry BigT) :P

Well I got a prescription from GP, yet to use it, however, my advice if you wanted a safe reliable supply from a well known store would of course be boots. You can discuss any concerns with a pharmacist and as a rule of thumb they will only give you a 4 week supply of Finasteride (1mg Propecia).

It is expensive and Im sure as you can research there are more cheaper and effective ways such as Proscar 5mg into fifths of Finpecia.

Personally, Id do the GP/Boots route and see how you work out on Fin. As you know there are sides, some get them, some don't. It's really down to you.

On here it is argued and put across that the Big 3 (Finasteride, Rogaine and Nizoral Shampoo) are the best in maintaining hair.

Hope this is a starting point, any questions Im here brah.
    Do they make pill cutters that do 5ths?? Wow, that would be so choice. I was thinking earlier how if i go the cheapest fin route, 5mg Finpecia, I'll be taking 1.25 (quarters) unless I try to cut the quarters even smaller which seems a little asinine.

Let me know, brah-dger.

I may have been wrong, I guess it would be 5mg proscar into quarters right?

My approach to Fin would be 0.5mg EOD. I think a safe conservative approach and see how it goes?

I may have been wrong, I guess it would be 5mg proscar into quarters right?

My approach to Fin would be 0.5mg EOD. I think a safe conservative approach and see how it goes?

Yeah, there has been at least one efficacy by biological gradient graph floating around on these forums. I remember it looked like someone made it in Microsoft Excel, which removed any amount of credibility for me.

Ultimately, the safer the better. I would rather be bald and be able to get a boner than have hair and be limp in the sack. I'm wishing I hadn't bumped my derm appt back a month but, similar to you, I would really have to sit back and think before I popped that first pill.

Regards, my dude.

Well Im glad Kayman came up and posted, I think the guy has a point. I was in town today shopping and saw this bald dude and without sounding gay, didn't think he looked too bad.

But I agree like you, I feel the whole point is to retain hair to be more attractive, but if you lose your penis, then whats the point.

I mean day-to-day hairloss is bothering me less and less, whilst its getting worse. Im on no medication, due to buzz soon as my sides look awful compared to my vertex/crown.

Well Im glad Kayman came up and posted, I think the guy has a point. I was in town today shopping and saw this bald dude and without sounding gay, didn't think he looked too bad.

But I agree like you, I feel the whole point is to retain hair to be more attractive, but if you lose your penis, then whats the point.

I mean day-to-day hairloss is bothering me less and less, whilst its getting worse. Im on no medication, due to buzz soon as my sides look awful compared to my vertex/crown.
    I work with a dude who is like NW3-4 with bare clipper short hair and he looks like a total boss. I think if people learned to be more interested/obsessed with looking at how bald dudes pull it off versus looking at flawless hairlines and feeling like shit, they'd all have gotten over it long ago.

Just like you, I'm getting more and more comfortable with my hairloss. When I joined this forum 3+ months ago, I was so gripped by my hairloss it was honestly affecting my ability to enjoy simple pleasures and focus on work and school (and my hair was TWICE as good as it is now - my first thread people said I wasn't even going bald).

I read a handful of guys' testimonies that basically entailed them quitting their jobs, and moving in with their parents, etc etc after hairloss and/or sides from fin. In a narcissistic way, their losses became my gain through motivation.

I'm 25; being bald is not that uncommon. I'm more intelligent than most people I meet, have decent facial aesthetics, and girls incessantly compliment me on my style. While I was busy focusing on what I might lose, I lost everything for a month because I let hairloss control me. As soon as I got over it, I was back to being me again.

Sorry for the rant, I just feel really passionate about this, and all the naysayers on forum make me smirk with condescension; I'm a considerably egotistic person .