+ Reply to Thread

Default Slow recession questions

Hi. I have been slowly receding for about 10 years. I started with super thick hair so as it receeds I am left with about 5 or 6 "renegade" hairs that still hang on longer than the rest. These hairs are thick but in the middle of receded temples or front hairline. Since the rest of my hair is thick i was wondering If This could maturing hairline that is taking a long, long time to mature. Could it mature into my 30's ? Does anyone else have this ( random hairs in front) If so, do you shave them, cut them or let them stick around?

Quote Originally Posted by reacttome View Post
    Hi. I have been slowly receding for about 10 years. I started with super thick hair so as it receeds I am left with about 5 or 6 "renegade" hairs that still hang on longer than the rest. These hairs are thick but in the middle of receded temples or front hairline. Since the rest of my hair is thick i was wondering If This could maturing hairline that is taking a long, long time to mature. Could it mature into my 30's ? Does anyone else have this ( random hairs in front) If so, do you shave them, cut them or let them stick around?
    For your Reference. I have always been a slow receder. Started at left corner and slowly moved across the front. Took 9-10 years to reach right corner. Then it stopped for awhile. When it started up again, I started to get those strays...I think that is called diffuse lose and is some hair dr's say it is the transistion between mature and the beginning of mpb.

Good news is the fact that being slow should buy you a lot of time.

Bad news is being so slow you may not notice that is getting further back. It can sneak up on you, unlike fast mpb.

Also as you get older, periodically check the back to make sure it doesn't start up there as well.

Thanks for your response. Did you (or do you) trim those pesky hairs. It Seems like Doing so would create the illusion of a more dense hairline. Thanks

I jumped on fin the same month I lost those renegade hairs at age 28, 5 or 6 of them like you describe. A lot of thinner hairs did grow there within a year on fin, but I was already in the mature stages. But the random hairs you have in the middle of your hair line are the last soldiers of your former, more juvenile hair line. They'll stop growing once they reach their next resting phase, if we're the same.

People I've seen have a completely juvenile hair line at age 30 seem to be retaining it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    For your Reference. I have always been a slow receder. Started at left corner and slowly moved across the front. Took 9-10 years to reach right corner. Then it stopped for awhile. When it started up again, I started to get those strays...I think that is called diffuse lose and is some hair dr's say it is the transistion between mature and the beginning of mpb.

Good news is the fact that being slow should buy you a lot of time.

Bad news is being so slow you may not notice that is getting further back. It can sneak up on you, unlike fast mpb.

Also as you get older, periodically check the back to make sure it doesn't start up there as well.
    Thanks. Your Story sounds much like mine. Did your mpb end up with you being completely bald or did another "more" mature hairline form?

Quote Originally Posted by clarence View Post
    I jumped on fin the same month I lost those renegade hairs at age 28, 5 or 6 of them like you describe. A lot of thinner hairs did grow there within a year on fin, but I was already in the mature stages. But the random hairs you have in the middle of your hair line are the last soldiers of your former, more juvenile hair line. They'll stop growing once they reach their next resting phase, if we're the same.

People I've seen have a completely juvenile hair line at age 30 seem to be retaining it forever.
    I'm in my early 30s so hopefully I just continue to slowly receed...how long have you been on fin?

Thanks for your response. Did you (or do you) trim those pesky hairs. It Seems like Doing so would create the illusion of a more dense hairline. Thanks
    No and I would not triim them if you are going to try treatment. When I was on propecia full time, hair filled in around them.

And even now minox seems to at least keep them growing ....good to have if some super treatment ever comes out....fingers crossed.

Thanks. Your Story sounds much like mine. Did your mpb end up with you being completely bald or did another "more" mature hairline form?
    No still have a lot of hair 30+ Years later after it started at puberty. If you's is slow that is good but you still need to watch out for spurts...where your mpb will get rapid for a a few years only to slow down again. I got my first spurt @ 36 when crown started thinning fast. Like my hairline it, started on one side, but instead of taking 9-10 years to move across to other side it only took 1-2 years. That is when I added propecia and stopped it.

One of the hair docs here has some info on this...I think he said the spurts come every decade. My mpb follows my mothers side and I remember my uncle getting a spurt in his late 40's so I am hoping I can escape that with treatment.

Who knows...you may never have to deal with this..but it's good to know not to let your guard down just in case.

I'm in my early 30s so hopefully I just continue to slowly receed...how long have you been on fin?
    Been splitting them pills for a good year now. Maybe I'll even stop splitting them with my teeth and buy a decent pill cutter.