+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Terrible Itching - Help

Hello there.

For the past couple of months I've been having a terrible itchy scalp, I'd say closer to a stinging scalp, which is infuriated after exercise and comes and goes throughout the day. It also affects me when I'm too warm, at a gig or something like that. It is pretty painful, enough to put me off exercise, and all around the scalp including the back and sides.

I have been using Nizoral for a large portion of that time and it hasn't helped at all. I use Minox liquid, but I'm sure that's not causing it. My GP is stumped.

Any clues?

Best wishes,
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jackbenson56 View Post
    Hello there.

For the past couple of months I've been having a terrible itchy scalp, I'd say closer to a stinging scalp, which is infuriated after exercise and comes and goes throughout the day. It also affects me when I'm too warm, at a gig or something like that. It is pretty painful, enough to put me off exercise, and all around the scalp including the back and sides.

I have been using Nizoral for a large portion of that time and it hasn't helped at all. I use Minox liquid, but I'm sure that's not causing it. My GP is stumped.

Any clues?

Best wishes,
    Jack
    It sounds to me like its the Minoxidil, Minoxidil used to make my scalp very itchy and I would say you probably have a more extreme reaction to Minoxidil. Stop using the Minox for a week and see if your scalp calms down which I would think it will. If you decide to go back on Minoxidil try using the foam instead of the liquid or start using the 2% solution instead. It could even be the Nizoral however my first port of call would be the minoxidil.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayman View Post
    It sounds to me like its the Minoxidil, Minoxidil used to make my scalp very itchy and I would say you probably have a more extreme reaction to Minoxidil. Stop using the Minox for a week and see if your scalp calms down which I would think it will.
    Thanks for the response. I'm only using Minox a little on my hair line and at the vortex, and the itching is not restricted to those areas; is it possible it diffuses over the scalp?

(I use Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo for other couple of times a week I wash my hair. I'm thinking of changing that actually.)

Quote Originally Posted by jackbenson56 View Post
    Thanks for the response. I'm only using Minox a little on my hair line and at the vortex, and the itching is not restricted to those areas; is it possible it diffuses over the scalp?

(I use Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo for other couple of times a week I wash my hair. I'm thinking of changing that actually.)
    Yeah Minoxidil diffuses over the scalp I'm pretty sure what you're experiencing is a side effect from the minoxidil. As I say drop the minox for a week and see how your scalp is, when you go back on it try the foam or a 2% solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayman View Post
    It sounds to me like its the Minoxidil, Minoxidil used to make my scalp very itchy and I would say you probably have a more extreme reaction to Minoxidil. Stop using the Minox for a week and see if your scalp calms down which I would think it will. If you decide to go back on Minoxidil try using the foam instead of the liquid or start using the 2% solution instead. It could even be the Nizoral however my first port of call would be the minoxidil.
    It could be both the Minox and his mpb. I used minox for several years with no issues at all. At the time my loss was just minor recession. But when mpb started at the crown I got a terrible itch along with dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis (red scales and bumps) Minox was part of the problem not all of it as I went off it for awhile to see if that was it. Still had the itch but minox did make it a lot worse. I then added propecia and the bumps went away along with about 95% of the itch. I don't see how propecia could do that, but it worked for me.

Try Curcumin + garlic supplements, and use a coal tar shampoo 2-3 times a week. I highly recommend Sebcurt. This was the miracle cure for me, after countless visits to the derms, and endless months on antibiotics.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    It could be both the Minox and his mpb. I used minox for several years with no issues at all. At the time my loss was just minor recession. But when mpb started at the crown I got a terrible itch along with dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis (red scales and bumps) Minox was part of the problem not all of it as I went off it for awhile to see if that was it. Still had the itch but minox did make it a lot worse. I then added propecia and the bumps went away along with about 95% of the itch. I don't see how propecia could do that, but it worked for me.
    ugh, i'm experiencing the same type of itch and it's crazy. it's a constant reminder that i'm going bald. X_X

Quote Originally Posted by slantofreality View Post
    ugh, i'm experiencing the same type of itch and it's crazy. it's a constant reminder that i'm going bald. X_X
    I have learned this about MPB and the itch. This only applies to me be but I bet it's true for others as well:

Terrible itch = Aggressive spreading mpb.

Minor itch (like I have now) = Gradual to moderate spreading mpb.

I don't remember since it's been years ago, but after a few months of propecia the itch was 99% gone. At that point mpb stopped and reversed.

You need to stop the itch and your mpb should improve.

I have learned this about MPB and the itch. This only applies to me be but I bet it's true for others as well:

I don't remember since it's been years ago, but after a few months of propecia the itch was 99% gone. At that point mpb stopped and reversed.

i want to get on propecia. but i already have some sexual dysfunction problems i'm trying to get rid first that are unrelated to meds. the itching is soooo annoying. yeah, when it started it was a little tickle. but now, i feel it all the time.

My itching is awful after eating spicey food, doing exercise or if I find myself getting embarrassed. My GP didn't have anything to do with it.

It's truly awful. I'm a diffuse thinner which has certainly come about very quickly in the last 8 months, and I won't try Propecia. Is there just nothing to do but wait to be bald?