+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

This is concerning. I had an HT almost five months ago and went on 1 mg daily. I also started noticing ED and libido problems after only a couple of months, and came off it. I started reading about massive shedding, and decided to compromise by taking half the dose (.5 mg) daily. Are members noticing the same results with that dosage? I've even read about people taking .25 for hair loss, but don't know how effective it is. Maybe the side effects would not be as acute?

Quote Originally Posted by doug546 View Post
    This is concerning. I had an HT almost five months ago and went on 1 mg daily. I also started noticing ED and libido problems after only a couple of months, and came off it. I started reading about massive shedding, and decided to compromise by taking half the dose (.5 mg) daily. Are members noticing the same results with that dosage? I've even read about people taking .25 for hair loss, but don't know how effective it is. Maybe the side effects would not be as acute?
    I am testing .25 but I am not taking it frequently enough to know if it will do any good. I am doing it simply to see if I can tolerate it.

How often are you taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcm800 View Post
    How often are you taking it?

Very infrequently. At first every 2 weeks, now about 1 a month.

One time I went over 2 months without it...yet I had some side like symptoms....that proved to me that other things could be at work.

So for now I just keep using it about 1 a month and if no problems , will gradually increase frequency, a little bit at a time.

But note I am older than many of you so I probably don't need as much to stop progression, which is all I am really after.

Some people have said they even use less than .25, I guess it depends on how aggressive your loss is.

Thanks for the info. I'm also one of the older guys around here, curious as to how it would benefit. If at all. I'm 42 started losing hair at around 28 yrs old, it's only now becoming obvious. Luckily it's been a slow loss, but I'm heading for doom all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcm800 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm also one of the older guys around here, curious as to how it would benefit. If at all. I'm 42 started losing hair at around 28 yrs old, it's only now becoming obvious. Luckily it's been a slow loss, but I'm heading for doom all the same.

Mine has also been very very slow , except when it initially started to thin in back @ 36. I started on propecia shortly before I turned 38. My mpb follows my mothers side to the T. And by that , I mean each stage starts at about the same age and the pattern is even the same. I have seen a couple of pics of my uncle when he was 38 and at that time our thin spots looked the same...oval shaped rather than a circle that is more typical. Now 10 years later I am much better off than he was 10 years later as there were no meds back then. Propecia got me through a few years of aggressive mpb.

So would I do it again? Yes but I would use a much smaller amount and only use it a 2-3 times a week. Good luck!

Thanks for your thoughts and for your help everyone. I'm getting a blood test tomorrow and I plan to ask the nurse if he/she can recommend a good doctor at my surgery - I bet they'll have an idea. Then I'll book another appointment, see what my bloods say and push for a referral to an endocrinologist.

I'll keep this thread updated, and feel free to get in touch if anyone else is in the same position or has suggestions.

We're always here for support if you need it chrisis. Good luck with the bloodwork, and be sure to update.

Doug546: I did use the 0.25 mg for about 2 mos after losing libido and erectile function completely on 1-1.25 mg daily. The 0.25 mg suppresses DHT at about 79% as effectively as 1 mg. That is great news except that you are still statistically likely to get most of the libido loss. Personally if I didn't get such terrible side effects (which I am still plagued with 11 mos on), I probably would have stayed on 0.25 mg to minimize adverse events which you may get immediately or down the road. It is a gamble but if you are on 1 mg with ED and libido loss you may want to taper down to the 0.25 mg for about 4-6 weeks (enough time to differentially adjust DHT suppression from 1 mg) and see if the side effects improve or (better yet) go away. I am bummed that I couldn't stay on Propecia because it is the most effective treatment by far. Everything else is spitting in the tank for me :-(

Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    We're always here for support if you need it chrisis. Good luck with the bloodwork, and be sure to update.
    Thanks clandestine. I had a blood test today. I asked the nurse if she could recommend any good doctors and she empathised with the bad experience I had with the first doctor. It'll take until next week to get bloods analysed so I booked in with one of the docs she recommended next Friday. Will update accordingly.