+ Reply to Thread

Default 19 badly receding

I've always been told I have a "high" hairline from a very young age. I'd estimate it at 2.5 on the almighty norwood scale. So in all honesty I'm very used to the jokes and jabs. Having it from a young age, as long as it wasn't changing, I decided it wasn't something to worry about. As of approximately 4 months ago my hairline has been receding, and fast. I'd say a norwood 3 at this point with some miniaturized hair at the corners.

For a little family history, my father had a norwood 3 hairline which he claims he had since around the time he was 20. At around 50 it has started to thin upfront. My maternal grandfather is completely bald at a norwood 6/7. he showed no signs of hairloss other than a norwood 2 until 40 and then developed a bald spot that enveloped his entire head (no further temple recesssion). From around 10 years old, I understood the genetics, and accepted my fate as a future baldie. I assumed that I would show no sign of this until I was in my 40s, not before turning 20.

As of a week ago, I've been on Propecia (.5mg per day) and have yet to experience side effects (knock on wood). I've also started using Nizoral (@2% twice per week). For right now, I'm hoping to stabilize my hairloss, maybe regrow a little.

My main question would be whether Rogaine actually prevents hairloss. Assuming Propecia stabilizes my hairloss, would there be any benefit of starting rogaine now vs. waiting a few years? My understanding is that Minoxidil does not actually prevent hairloss, only thickens existing hairs. Because I never really had hair on my temples, I assume that no new hair could be grown.

I appologize for the lack of photos at this time, I'll try to get those up as soon as possible (it may take a few weeks).

Quote Originally Posted by youngandearly View Post
    I've always been told I have a "high" hairline from a very young age. I'd estimate it at 2.5 on the almighty norwood scale. So in all honesty I'm very used to the jokes and jabs. Having it from a young age, as long as it wasn't changing, I decided it wasn't something to worry about. As of approximately 4 months ago my hairline has been receding, and fast. I'd say a norwood 3 at this point with some miniaturized hair at the corners.

For a little family history, my father had a norwood 3 hairline which he claims he had since around the time he was 20. At around 50 it has started to thin upfront. My maternal grandfather is completely bald at a norwood 6/7. he showed no signs of hairloss other than a norwood 2 until 40 and then developed a bald spot that enveloped his entire head (no further temple recesssion). From around 10 years old, I understood the genetics, and accepted my fate as a future baldie. I assumed that I would show no sign of this until I was in my 40s, not before turning 20.

As of a week ago, I've been on Propecia (.5mg per day) and have yet to experience side effects (knock on wood). I've also started using Nizoral (@2% twice per week). For right now, I'm hoping to stabilize my hairloss, maybe regrow a little.

My main question would be whether Rogaine actually prevents hairloss. Assuming Propecia stabilizes my hairloss, would there be any benefit of starting rogaine now vs. waiting a few years? My understanding is that Minoxidil does not actually prevent hairloss, only thickens existing hairs. Because I never really had hair on my temples, I assume that no new hair could be grown.

I appologize for the lack of photos at this time, I'll try to get those up as soon as possible (it may take a few weeks).
    Minoxidil does help prevent hair loss and at the same time promotes new growth where there are follicles that can be "revived" so to speak, it's very unlikely it's going to grow hair on your scalp where there was none to begin with. It's certainly worth using for your 1st year of hair loss treatment it pairs up with propecia well and helps to regrow hair where hair once was. Because you're using the 2% Nizoral I would suggest just using it once per week as opposed to twice, if it were the 1% Nizoral then I'd say use it twice per week.

Thanks for the advice man, I'll get started on the minox. Before I came here, I was convinced that balding before 20 was impossible, now I'm just glad I caught it relatively early. Goodluck with your maintaince/regrowth goals.